No announcement yet.

Project Gotham Racing 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ahhh I hate that American Muscle series - I have almost all platinums on everything else (2 left I think) but I can't get platinums on the American Muscles........no TVR for me then (although in real life I hate that car and can't see what all the fuss is about.)

Comment

True, but you've got to admire the comedy value of a ?50k little British thing being the top car in a game that also includes the Enzo, Porsche GT, Koenigsegg CC and so on.

Comment

I hated the American Muscle Series too. A lot. Those ruddy cone challenges will haunt me for the rest of my life.

I found my favourite car is the Noble. Pelting around the Nurburgring in that is great fun - it has just the right balance of power and grip to make things interesting. The Mercedes CLK-GTR is also a nifty car once unlocked, although thankfully it is not subject to the aerodynamic flaw that caused the real one to flip over when too much air got underneath it.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Hughes
          The Mercedes CLK-GTR is also a nifty car once unlocked, although thankfully it is not subject to the aerodynamic flaw that caused the real one to flip over when too much air got underneath it.
          That reads as if the car just flipped on a whim! Ooo, there it goes again!

Incidentally, I've just done a Usenet search on the event via Google and found (quoted from the never-'tabloid' Autosport's web site) that Peter Dumbreck was "forced" to take a breathalyser test "as he lay semi-conscious, in a state of shock and fully strapped on an ambulance bed". Public road and French Law, I know... and I can see Mr. Dumbreck glugging 'a swift few' just before the race...

As a postscript, I'm not saying there wasn't a failing in the Merc. I think I just read it wrong and am easily amused. No other manufacturer's car did the 'Mulsanne Flip', after all!

Better get back to PGR2.

Gotta get me all those silvers...

Platinum?!? Yeah, right!

Comment

Problem was, the car in its original form (Le Mans 1999) has a pretty fundemental aerodynamic flaw. Can't remember exactly what it was, although it was something to do with too much air getting under the nose of the car and lifting it off the ground. In practice Mark Webber flipped the car not once, but twice. Then Dumbreck did it again in the race. Somehow it didn't end in disaster, but Mercedes withdrew from sports prototype racing at the end of that race I believe.

Here is a picture of Webby arriving after the Mulsanne hump upside down. How he escaped I will never know

Taking this back to PGR2, Peter Dumbreck is supposedly often found racing on XBox Live. Would be rather cool to have a race against him, methinks .

Comment

Hazy memory of the many replays of those scary moments would suggest you're spot-on with the assessment, Matt.

The cars were each lifting as they reached top/very high speed and approached the rise, weren't they? And Dumbreck's car ended up in the trees? Jeez, I've got it now! It happened three times - with two of those incidents being with Webber (forgot it was him) doing 'The Flip'. Twice!

And if true, that's a great link back to PGR2!

Comment

Working...
              X