Tony Hawk's Underground

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tony Hawk's Underground

Along with a few other games mentioned in other threads I received a copy of Tony Hawk's Underground for the Xbox yesterday. I wasn't really expecting too much from this one and wasn't particularly excited about it, but the change of direction has done the series wonders. All the controls and general feel of the gameplay is the same, but the new additions (being able to run on foot is great) really help freshen things up. The graphics, which although have been great in previous installments of the series, are very nice indeed, and for the first time the Xbox version doesn't just feel like a port of the PS2 version. It looks like Neversoft have really developed to the strengths of each system. First impressions - very good.

Anyone else picked up a copy yet?

Ive only played this briefly, and am hardly the worlds biggest TH fan, but how does running on foot improve the game? Not a dig its just Im interested to know at this point.

Comment

It just means you can stop and move to where ever without rolling and over shooting (which could be a pain in the ass if you're on top of a building). You can also climb stuff ala Tomb Raider style, so you no longer have to grind loads of telephone cables and whatnot to get on top of things, now you just walk up to it and climb up.

Comment

You can use it to prevent yourself from crashing at some points as well. In the previous games if you went off a vertical ramp at an angle where there was no other ramp to transfer to you'd end up stacking it into the floor. Now you can get off the board mid-flight and prevent this from happening.

You can also use it in the same way as manuals as a link between ramps and grinds. When you come off a ramp you can land on your feet and run to another ramp/grind point and carry on a trick. While you are on your feet a small timer appears which shows how long you have to carry on the trick before it is cancelled. The more time that you go on foot in a trick sequence the shorter the time you are allowed on foot before the trick ends.

Comment

I'm assuming you have the game. How far have you got? I've not played it much, what with having 7 new games to play, but I just unlocked the Manhattan area and it has totally blown me away. It's bloody gorgeous, a big step up in visual quality from the other games me thinks. Have you progressed any further?

Comment

Sounds good so far. Quick question though (and your answer may be the difference between me buying it or not )

Are there a lot of competitions and high score challenges? Or has the game moved more towards the quirky and 'original' challenges as in TH4. I read about a challenge of driving a car over a river and was really annoyed. These games shouldn't be about crap like that; they should be high scores, competitions and combos.

If the game is heavily weighted against things like that then I probably won't bother buying it tbh, which is a shame because I really like the series

Comment

All of the goals and score challenges found in the previous games are featured in THUG in one form or another, it's just that it's all wrapped up in a story mode. For example, instead of collecting skate letters you might have to collect parts of someones board scattered around the level instead.

Comment

I really think Activision has beat the proverbial Tony Hawk horse to death. Great you can walk you can drive, what the hell why not give me a gun and make me shoot bad guys while I'm at it.

The whole thing is a stupid gimick. I'm sure its a great game, until they milk it again next year with THUG II Extreme. Let me pose this question to the Activisionites out there, if you want to walk around, jump on stuff, and drive why are you playing a skateboarding game?

Comment

Originally posted by Che Musashi
                  I really think Activision has beat the proverbial Tony Hawk horse to death. Great you can walk you can drive, what the hell why not give me a gun and make me shoot bad guys while I'm at it.

The whole thing is a stupid gimick. I'm sure its a great game, until they milk it again next year with THUG II Extreme. Let me pose this question to the Activisionites out there, if you want to walk around, jump on stuff, and drive why are you playing a skateboarding game?
                  Well, personally, I don't want to do all of that. I want to skate. And, to me, skating means high scores and combos; not stupid pointless minigames. Which is why I asked if the game was focused on this more than the non-skating stuff (which I plan to skip and avoid entirely)

Comment

You're a little quick to judge a game before playing it aren't you?

Comment

Defend it all you want, but Activision has been grifting tony hawk fans for years. Poor neversoft they probably would like to make different games but now they've been typecast.

Comment

Originally posted by Che Musashi
                        Defend it all you want, but Activision has been grifting tony hawk fans for years. Poor neversoft they probably would like to make different games but now they've been typecast.
                        Hmm. Not so sure.

I'll give it a play, even though I didn't give THPS4 a chance, it was just an extension of 3 (well, it looked it) - hopefully Underground will be decent.

I doubt it'll top THPS2 though, which, IMO, was the best of them all. Followed by 1, and 3 at the back (wasn't very good at all, got it on the Xbox launch).

Comment

*edit*

Sod it, can't be bothered arguing.

Comment

Alright monkey to be fair I'll rent it before I slam it. Still the concept sucks, maybe the execution is ace...

Comment

It's a good game - the extras like walking, driving are just that...extras. Not a large part of the game at all. The new Edit trick option is a nice touch as well. Being able to customise and create your own tricks is nice touch. THUG is the next incarnation in the long line of the genre which maybe drawn out and stretched but then there are others that do the same out there. Fifa. PES. SSX tricky Hell even Mario Kart. There's a reason though. People like it and enjoy new environments and tweaks in game play but with the same old basic mechanics and premis which made the first one so much fun. If you like Tony Hawks games then you'll like this one too

Comment

Working...
                              X