Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with buying a multi region DVD player

My love of anime continues unabaited...

Ive pretty much run out of legal region 2 anime DVD's I can buy so for christmas im going to be asking for a multi region DVD player.

I dont have a clue where to start as I want it to be decent as I have a great sony DVD player now but not sure if there are better models on te market.

The site which I order my anime from and trust have a nicely priced model: http://www3.cd-wow.com/dvd_player_22.php but im not sure of performance.

If anyone has better ideas in mind then please say! I cant wait to see Cowboy bebop from ep 1 till the last on Christmas! However I doubt my mates or girlfriend will be pleased about it!

First of all, be totally sure your current player can't be made to accept all regions. Check http://www.dvdrhelp.com/dvdhacks with your model number to see if there's a remote hack. If that's not possible, searching around the web might reveal places where you can get your current player modded.

I can't say if that Sony player is good or not, but Amazon have the Pioneer DV-360s at only 69.99 (was 99.99 before) and I can say that the image quality is as good as you'll get from an entry-level player:

Comment

On a related note, my parents just got themselves a DVD player and asked the guy if they would be able to make it multiregion. Now this was from an official Sony shop here. Manager asks the tech guy in the back and tells them to come back next month as they hadn't received the codes to do it yet

They probably bamboozled him initially by the fact they're both 50+ and asking how to chip the damn thing
      Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Amazon also do the rather wonderful Toshiba SD-330 for ?79 - that has a gorgeous picture quality on it.

Comment

I was thinking of getting a multi-region player too.

I've found a hack for my toshiba R2 player, but haven't used it yet. Is there any way hacks can screw up my player?

I've heard that you can't keep switching region and eventually it 'sticks'.
          Is it completely safe?

Comment

Originally posted by mid
            Amazon also do the rather wonderful Toshiba SD-330 for ?79 - that has a gorgeous picture quality on it.
            My parents have the standard Region 2 model of this and I can vouch for the picture quality too. I have ordered the multiregion one for myself now.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom*
              I was thinking of getting a multi-region player too.

I've found a hack for my toshiba R2 player, but haven't used it yet. Is there any way hacks can screw up my player?

Is it completely safe?
              On my DVD player when the hack is used you can just select "region 0" which means it will play any DVD without having to switch regions all the time

I don't see how it can screw up your DVD player

Comment

Originally posted by Tom*
                Is it completely safe?
                There are a few (Actually, there are many, but they are almost all PC ones) drives that only allow you to switch regions manually 5 times. If you've done it 6 already then I wouldn't worry. All these are documented online somewhere.

The Tosh SD-220 (my model, and the precursor to the 330) was able to be flashed permanently multiregion with a bios update CD; the ISO is online somewhere in France, but I forget where as I got mine done at the shop.

Comment

Also with that Toshiba, you can throw away your CD player. I compared it to my Marantz and the sound quality was indistinguishable..... Depressing when I think of the amount I spent on the CD player.

Comment

Actually, I wasn't massively impressed with the sound quality on the Tosh - the DAC is certainly no match for my Pioneer 925 LD/CD player. But as a digital transport for my Pioneer 908 amp its just fine, and the DAC on that is pretty much identical to the 925 anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr
                      Also with that Toshiba, you can throw away your CD player. I compared it to my Marantz and the sound quality was indistinguishable..... Depressing when I think of the amount I spent on the CD player.
                      I used my Sony S735D DVD player as my CD player for a good year or so based on magazine reviews stating the audio was fantastic, seperate laser for cd etc..

I asked for advice from a hifi shop re a power amp told them what I had and they suggested a cd player asap, suprised I asked why after what I'd read and he said they'd done tests and DVD players just weren't up to it.

I purchased and Arcam 7SE and the difference was incredible, I personally would never, ever use a DVD player for CD again....

Comment

Goto Sainsburys pick up an Akura for ?35 and it'll play everything out of the box very well.

Comment

Working...
                        X