Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No sound on a new DVD and TV setup - Help please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No sound on a new DVD and TV setup - Help please.

I had to set up my parents new TV and DVD player and I have had a few problems. They have bought a Toshiba ZP38 TV along with a Toshiba 330E DVD player. They bought a coaxial cable to connect between the 2 for sound yet it doesnt seem to work. I dont really know much about these cables so only connected them where the manuals said yet there is no sound at all. Is there something wrong with the cable or is there another cable that needs to go with it to get sound?

Sorry my description is crap, but any advice would be welcome.

BTW the TV and DVD work fine as I hooked it up with Scart and it works.

You have to go into the tv's menu and tell it which AV video channel you want the digital input to be used with, or you had to with the Toshiba MW28 and 36ZP18 tv's i used to own. I expect the ZP38 to be the same, it may sound stupid but reading the manual usually tells you what to do

Comment

Cheers I will give that a try. The instructions that come with the TV are crap. There is very little in there.

Comment

I dont think Ive ever seen a well written toshiba instruction manual. Its 100% pure engrish bottled at the source.

Comment

Cookie - any chance of a mini-review of the TV. Mainly what the picture quality is like, geometry ok, etc. Read a few reviews for this TV and some of the reviewers mentioned geometry problems - just putting me off at the mo (although is there any perfect 36" CRT )

Seriously thinking about buying one of these sets, just can't quite decide whether to stick with CRT or go for it and get one of them Panasonic Series 6 plasmas. Hmmm..... Choices, choices.

Comment

Well I have only watched the new TV for a short time but it seems to have a fantastic picture. Very clear and sharp. Its the 32" model not 36". The picture on the 36" didnt look that great in the shops so they decided to go for a smaller screen.

My knowledge on the technical sides of TV is diddly squat, as long as the picture and sound seem fine I am happy, so what do you mean by geometry problems?

Comment

My fault, for some reason i thought you were referring to the 36" model. Yeah, the 32" model is suppose to be pretty much perfect. All the problems seem to be with the 36 " model.

I am no expert myself. Geometry problems - the dimension of the picture i s'pose. You know on a standard computer monitor you have options to move the picture, re-size it, re-shape it, well its different with TV's and you can usually only do this by entering the service menu (not for the faint hearted.) From what i've read (some of) the 36"'s haven't been set-up well before leaving the factory - vertical bend seems the biggest problem, the left and right edge of the viewable picture is wavy instead of perfectly straight.

There also seems to be convergence issues. People suggesting that the colours aren't true across the screen - a white might have a pink tint on the left hand side while the same white on the right hand side might have a green tint. (Am i really considering buying this TV )

Btw, i am sure someone with more expertise in this field can explain it a whole lot better than me.

I really don't think a perfect 36" CRT exists.

Comment

I've got the 32zp and my first set had geometry problems where screen slanted from left to right. Toshiba picked it up and replaced it and everything was OK.

The set is amazing by the way. Watched Finding Nemo on it last night and it was fantastic, colours, sound, everything.

Re: your sound problem: It might be a combo of the settings on the TV and the DVD player. The DVD out needs to be set to audio digital out and the menu on the TV needs to assign the relevant AV channel to use the sound from the relevant digital in channel.

It's all in the menus.

Jimbob

Comment

Thanks for everyones help especially djjimbob and fuzzybee. It was a combination of changing the set up on both DVD and TV and I finally got there in the end.

Comment

Originally posted by PH

Seriously thinking about buying one of these sets, just can't quite decide whether to stick with CRT or go for it and get one of them Panasonic Series 6 plasmas. Hmmm..... Choices, choices.
                    Firstly glad you got it sorted Lordcookie

Secondly PH go for the plasma mate i did and i have never looked back, i sold my Toshiba 36ZP18 and after a couple of months of demoing every plasma under the sun i ended up with a Hitachi 42pD3000.
                    It's very wife friendly and looks fantastic the one who must be obeyed also let me buy a set of the new kef eggs to go with it 8)

Happy Days

Comment

Working...
                    X