No announcement yet.

NFS: Underground

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah I didn't think it was all it has been cracked up to be . Good visuals, well I think so any way but the slow down when cornering is very bad. Slow down even when only one car on the track! Havent seen the PS2 version but imagine its much worse.

Comment

Originally posted by Tokyo Trash Baby
      Yeah I didn't think it was all it has been cracked up to be . Good visuals, well I think so any way but the slow down when cornering is very bad. Slow down even when only one car on the track! Havent seen the PS2 version but imagine its much worse.
      Actually, the PS2 version is graphically the most accomplished of all the releases (including the PC). The framerate is pretty sketchy on the Xbox release and the blurring effects can be a tad inconsistent too (not to mention that the Xbox version has no "official" steering wheel support!).

I also reckon that the PS2 version's handling is better too.

Comment

Originally posted by Cacophanus
        Actually, the PS2 version is graphically the most accomplished of all the releases (including the PC). The framerate is pretty sketchy on the Xbox release and the blurring effects can be a tad inconsistent too (not to mention that the Xbox version has no "official" steering wheel support!).

I suppose I'll be giving this one a miss then. If EA can't be assed to do a proper port, then I can't be assed to buy it.

Comment

ps2 version doesn't look the most accomplished to me - plus it has more slowdown. the handling feels the same on both - just a matter of which pad you prefer

camps

Comment

Originally posted by Tokyo Trash Baby

How is it the most graphically accomplished and how is the handling better?

Comment

Originally posted by Valken
              The blurring effect is consistent with speed in an analogue fashion (so the blurring gradually increases). In the Xbox release it is either off or on. Moreover, the Xbox version has very noticeable framerate judder when taking a large corner. Admittedly the reflections on the car on the PS2 release are jittery, but it doesn't really affect gameplay (unlike the blurring).

The handling on the Xbox release is rather vague and light (in that you don't feel truly connected to the road surface). In the PS2 release you really do hug the ground and it makes cornering that much more fun.

Comment

Ah I get you... it's amazing how such a "minor" difference highlights how such a small thing can affect how a game "feels" more than any varying frame rates or minor increases in poly counts.

Have you played the PC demo? Is it closer to the Xbox or PS2 version in terms of handling?

Comment

Has anyone played the cube version?
                  After playing xbox/cube/ps2 back to back i was more impressed with the job on gamecube ,personally it seems a lot smoother and runs more consistant, although my die hard xboxboss wasnt having ANY of it.
                  I have been lucky to have 2consoles hooked up to the one telly so being the geek i am i switched between them playing on the same level and using the same car, cube version to me felt better.
                  To point out until that moment i was going to buy the xbox version(assuming it was going to be the best!) but went home with the cube one.

Comment

With all this inconsistency I think just dont buy it. When I played the XBOX version it was on an instore machine. I was waiting for the PS2 version to be released (a week apart between XBOX and PS2 version, remember I live in Australia!!!). But its just typical of EA hype. I think i'll just stick to my SHOTOKOU BATTLE 01. Same concept and its Japanese, none of this Amercian, Fast & Furious, NOS, I live my life a quarter mile at a time CRAP.

Comment

Mates been wanting it from ages so we went tesco and got Xbox version about half hour ago when he finished work.

I've had a couple of goes, the handlings is all fine etc. But the frame rate is pretty ****e, specially in the tunnel bit on one of early tracks, the overall graphics are crap, cars pretty jaggy etc. He jus mentioned something about really bad popup.

Can't believe its the same game we saw all the videos of that had us thinking how fantastic it looked.

Comment

The blurring effect is consistent with speed in an analogue fashion (so the blurring gradually increases). In the Xbox release it is either off or on. Moreover, the Xbox version has very noticeable framerate judder when taking a large corner. Admittedly the reflections on the car on the PS2 release are jittery, but it doesn't really affect gameplay (unlike the blurring).
                        I'd admit that there's very noticable framerate judder on big corners (or frame skipping), whatever you want to call it), but the motion blur does seem to gradually increase on the Xbox version too. Either way that graphical feature is detrimental to the whole gameplay.

Comment

Sorry to say it, but it just seems a bit crap.

Luckily my mate seems to fit into the category of he doesn't care as he's just bothered about modding the car.

Comment

all this crap about the soundtrack

its spot on. start with the basics the game is based on a lifestyle (yes street racing / car modifing to some is a lifestyle) the majority of the people involved in that lifestyle listern to hip hop and similar so why wack in a euro dance to please a minority when the main audience of the game wont be pleased by it and would be straying from real life somewhat (not very good putting things into words but i hope u get the general jist)

Comment

Thing is you can turn off all the hip hop crap in the options and leave the other stuff on. Theres quite a few songs that aren't hip hop. If you don't like either then turn your hifi up lol

Comment

Ah I get you... it's amazing how such a "minor" difference highlights how such a small thing can affect how a game "feels" more than any varying frame rates or minor increases in poly counts.
                                Exactly. Whilst NFSU aint the greatest racer ever, I would always go for the version with the better handling over graphical prowess (but in this case the PS2 version is graphically superior and has better handling).

Have you played the PC demo? Is it closer to the Xbox or PS2 version in terms of handling?
                                Graphically it is closer to the PS2 version (in terms of blurring), but you will need a good setup in order to run it (otherwise your framerate will go to ****). It also needs to be played with a steering wheel. Bar that, it handles just like the PS2 version.

This is how I rate the various versions:

1. PlayStation2
                                2. PC
                                3. Gamecube
                                4 Xbox
                                6789. GameBoy Advance

Originally posted by MonkeyWrench
                                I'd admit that there's very noticable framerate judder on big corners (or frame skipping), whatever you want to call it), but the motion blur does seem to gradually increase on the Xbox version too. Either way that graphical feature is detrimental to the whole gameplay.
                                You have only just started the game and, consequently, your car won't be going that fast. By the time you have all the extreme performance upgrades, that's when the blurring aint great.

Request: When somebody gets to Event 66 on the Xbox release, let me know. I will have a few questions for thee.

Comment

Working...
                                X