XIII

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ady
    I can't understand why this game is getting such a slating. I think it's great. The way the story unfolds is good as are the comic touches (obviously).

As usual, all it takes is a few less than complimentary comments in Edge, and everyone comes down on a game like a ton of bricks. Its like Mario Sunshine all over again.
    I have to say, I got this on Xmas Eve and I've really enjoyed this. I don't normally enjoy FPS.... more of an RPG / Platform gamer myself, but I'm finding this very addictive. Had I gone by the negative comments on this board and the average reviews I would never have bought this. The decisive factor was the fact it was on sale in Blockbuster for ?20.

It may be linear, aiming may be a pain and so on, but taken on it's own merits and ignoring all the hype that went before it's release, this has been a bit of a highlight for me so far this year. Mainly because I've finally found myself getting into an FPS.

It may not hit the heights of KOTOR, Metroid or Zelda, but it sure is good fun. Also, the urge to have just one more go is irresistable.

Well in to Ubisoft...

Comment

i have just completed this and thought it was great. really great. it was completely absorbing and the set pieces were fantastic.

so when do we get a sequel?

Comment

Sorry to resurrect this thread, however I?ve put quite a few hours into XIII (US Gamecube version) and am extremely impressed. Only after a few hours of obtaining this I thought I would have to reluctantly sell to require some dosh, but thankfully that wasn?t the case. Since then, I?ve played a great deal and feel it gets better and better as you progress. I haven?t had this much enjoyment from a first person shooter since? well? quite awhile.

The ability to use many side items as non-lethal weapons is a fantastic game play element, and something I try to utilize as often as possible. There is a great deal of satisfaction to be hand from rendering a guard unconscious with a broom or a spade. Or even smashing them over a head with an ashtray, brick, or bottle.

The controls at first seem a little restricted I thought, and not being able to manually aim was a bit of a shock, however once I got used to them (which took only around 10mins) they seem perfectly suited and assessable, now its like 2nd nature. The graphics are pretty mixed; sometimes the cell-shading/comic style looks fantastic, other times, a little bit? yuck.

Generally though, the overall style overwhelms any negatives. The character models close up do look a little bit dodgy, however are animated very realistically and have some fairly impressive death animations. Also the story is definitely intriguing and begs to be played just a little bit more? how it is told through flash backs and the comic style borders after each level and even during game play is very nice indeed.

I?m getting a bit tired now, so wont say much more, however it seems a shame it hasn?t received any significant attention. Has great game play, some innovative ideas, an unique style and a compelling story. After playing Beyond Good and Evil, Prince of Persia and this, i gotta say i take my hat off (if i were wearing one that is...) to Ubisoft. Kinda feel sorry for them too....

Anyhoo... cant sleep, so off to play some more
        ----Member since April 2002

http://www.redbubble.com/people/adamstone

Comment

Even though it has its faults, I agree that its a pretty decent game. A solid 7 from me.

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Stone
            Sorry to resurrect this thread, however I’ve put quite a few hours into XIII (US Gamecube version) and am extremely impressed. Only after a few hours of obtaining this I thought I would have to reluctantly sell to require some dosh, but thankfully that wasn’t the case. Since then, I’ve played a great deal and feel it gets better and better as you progress. I haven’t had this much enjoyment from a first person shooter since… well… quite awhile.
            I hope so. Because from playing XIII for a couple of levels a few days ago, I've got to agree with Jibber's initial sentiments. Aesthetically, the game is awesome, that's for sure. It's got a sharp pin-point look to it like Viewtiful Joe does, and stylistically the premise is certainly intriguing. Box-screen narration is handled well both in-game and out, and the look of the cel-shaded visuals has a vibrant yet moody style to it. I especially admire the way the game holds extreme levels of contrast between the colours and the way those colours are used to represent real-world object/items. It gives XIII a very distinctive look.

Having said that, and moving onto an issue of greater concern, is how the game plays. The control and level of interaction felt somewhat stilted and not all that responsive to me. Weapons felt weak so didn't seem that powerful or interesting in how they force you to approach the game, and the actual level design seemed fairly basic and not very imaginative or complex. (Not that making a FPS overly intricate is always a good idea, because I do enjoy out and out shooters too.)

Yet XIII seems to me that it doesn't know what it wants to be. There's some clever interaction and mildly innovative elements to be found in there, but I feel they're constantly undermined by simple design flaws and a rigid trial and error concept. I would have enjoyed a little more freedom in the way the game's AI approaches varying tactics the player chooses in conflict.

To give the game the benefit of the doubt, I'll play some more, but after two levels in I can't say I've fallen in love with this quite like I have with Ubisoft's other recent efforts: The Sands Of Time and Beyond Good & Evil.

Comment

Working...
            X