No announcement yet.

Counterstrike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does that mean you've finally got Live Pete?

Comment

Nah, it was around a friends house.

I can't get broadband where I live, too far away from the exchange

Comment

Ok the missus has gone out to get CS for me !!

Anyone gonna be playing it soon and fancy a game ???

Comment

Well i hate it.

Im a huge fan of pc CS but this is just ****

Comment

I just can't believe they've released this as a full-price game.

It's PC Counter-Strike with better textures and that's it. What's the point?

If it were ?10 I'd have bought it in a shot.

Comment

I'm with Shimmy on this one, I can only speculate that everyone singing its praises has never really got into PC CS, because anyone who got deep into the PC version will hate this.

On the positive side I think the buy menu has been done very well for a pad, and the controls are pretty good for a console... HOWEVER, and this is the big point, compared to the PC version, the controls are just so imprecise. The whole game "feels" wrong, and in my opinion while this may work for four people sitting around a console playing Medal of Honor, for Counter-Strike they should have figured out a different/better way to do the controls.

My copy's going back to Game.

Comment

Its true, i've never played the PC version of CS so i cant really compare the game experiences (which i think is probably a good thing).

I disagree about the controls though. They are as good as any xbox fps with zero deadzone on the right stick etc also some people playing it seems to be extremely precise, i've been taken out many times within seconds of being sighted by the enemy i'm assuming by a well placed head shot...

I agree with burai though...i think that the one player mode is obviously just a training mode for going online and a price point similar to GR:IT would have been more sensible.

Comment

I've played the PC version loads and I think it compares well. The pad is as good as you could possibly hope for, the frame rate is smooth and consistent and comms for all makes a fine addition.

Granted, it could have been cheaper, but it is still a fine conversion and will hopefully stay hack free (for a while at least).

Comment

I guess you're right.
                    Though what I was trying to say was that, take Halo - that has a slight autoaim to compensate for the Xbox pad, plus the shield system which is a little more forgiving. GoldenEye, also has an autoaim. Now, the problem with CS Xbox is that it really needs an autoaim for the pad, but at the same time it can't... otherwise the 'realism' USP of CS is lost.

Incidentally, I agree about the offline bots being really crap, but I think twice as many people would complain about having no bots and only online play than will inevitably complain about the bots being crap.

Comment

I've played the PC version loads and I think it compares well. The pad is as good as you could possibly hope for, the frame rate is smooth and consistent and comms for all makes a fine addition.

Granted, it could have been cheaper, but it is still a fine conversion and will hopefully stay hack free (for a while at least).
                      Fine conversion? Smooth framerate? Jesus... This game is running on a five year old engine. If it weren't a decent conversion, you'd be even more of a mug.

Anyone that buys this for ?35 really needs their head reading. You can get Half Life on Sierra Classics for ?5 Download Steam and you're away in a far more suitable environment with all the fun of Half Life, Day of Defeat, Opposing Forces, Deathmatch Classic, Team Fortress Classic and that bloody thing with the discs thrown in for good measure.

Comment

Originally posted by Burai
                        Anyone that buys this for ?35 really needs their head reading. You can get Half Life on Sierra Classics for ?5 Download Steam and you're away in a far more suitable environment with all the fun of Half Life, Day of Defeat, Opposing Forces, Deathmatch Classic, Team Fortress Classic and that bloody thing with the discs thrown in for good measure.
                        If my dad was a gamer, that is exactly what he'd say. Maybe a clip round the ear to make sure he was serious.

Why so much anger mate? You should know XBL makes all the difference 8)

Comment

Originally posted by Burai

Fine conversion? Smooth framerate? Jesus... This game is running on a five year old engine. If it weren't a decent conversion, you'd be even more of a mug.
                          And your point is (apart from your usual anti-Xbox blatherings)? Developers managed to bodge the conversion of both Half life, UT and Deus Ex 2 for the PS2, so older PC tech running well on more powerful consoles isn't a given. If I mentioned that the 5.1 sound works very well, you'd probably complain about that too .

Alternatively, I can now play CS (which is all I'm bothered about anyway) with full voice comms on my big TV with 5.1 surround sound and a community that is fresh and new and without the concern of people using wall hacks or other cheats. I loved CS on the PC, but in the end the non-clan community was very tiresome. I was hoping that this version would inject a bit of life into proceedings.

What do you think, that I just wandered into a shop and bought this without giving any thought to the PC version?

Comment

The framerate on Xbox cs is a joke!!

On PC you need to have 100fps (lets not get into the old 'but u cant tell argument' because you can) the Xbox is not even 60, its not locked either. I dont care about the GFX but the framerate is a huge letdown. Id also say there is too much lag when on live, again on the PC u set ur rates to get as low a ping as possible with no loss etc - again it makes a huge difference to the game. On the feeling the ping is around 70-100, on pc i play @ 20 -40.

The controls work ok but again nowhere near aswell as on the PC. I know you can not compare the control system as a mouse is clearly better but on Halo i felt at one with the controls whereas on CS i find it a struggle. Another point is weapon switching - on pc you can switch to any weapon easily and in a split secound - on xbox the weapon cycling seems to take a age

I really wished CS to be great on Xbox, ive played the pc version for 4+ years and had to leave my clan when i sold up my PC and went Apple ! Im very disappointed with it and feel it will be going back

Comment

Now, now Shimmy. Don't be saying that. Brats'll be calling you an Xbox hater like me.

Anyway Jez, I'd answer your points, but I'm going out to spend ?40 on ****ing oxygen...

Comment

And another thing !

On pc counterstike there is a whole communtity around servers. For example back in the day i would play on NGUK Italy only for hours and hours over the course of many months, i probably got worse at CS due to the fact i wasnt playing other maps, but it mattered not as you where playing against people you met on the server. Im aware that you can set friends etc but i see no way of getting the community aspect over live.

Im not bashing xbox, i feel that this is a missed oppurtunity.

Actually its worse than that its a piss poor game

Comment

Working...
                                X