No announcement yet.

When do you 'finish' a game?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think the word finish always means that you have played through from beginning to end, and not necessarily unlocked every last feature. If someone tells me that they have "finished" a game, I will only expect that to mean that they have played through the title and obtained an ending sequence. I think we need to invent a new term for utterly destroying a game and dominating every last little piece of it though... Any suggestions?
    Rinsed

Comment

For me its when i reach the end of the storyline. Thats when i've finished it, the rest is bonuses and stuff, if i ever replay the game its something new there for me to try and do/find.

Comment

When I've seen 'an' end sequence.

Comment

"Classed," I propose.

Like with the Merlin football stickers we all dealt in the playground. When you had every sticker of a certain team, you had classed that team.

Comment

Some nice word-age there people. Think I'm gonna switch to using "rinsed" from now on.

Therefore, I've totally rinsed Rez and Devil May Cry to name a couple.

Comment

As far as I'm concerned, I finished Ape Escape yesterday. My play counter says 84.8%, but that's because I'm totally not interested in getting gold medals and the remaining percentage by time trialing the levels. Time trials don't belong in platform games and I'm not interested in playing the game over and over again for the sake of what little reward, if any, becomes available when 100% is finally reached. I got every monkey, I got every Specter coin, and saw the end of the story. Finished, as far as I'm concerned.
              Banjo-Kazooie I completely finished including having the 2 left-over jiggies because that was all in-game-related.
              Diddy Kong Racing I completed both Adventure modes, forward and backward, because I enjoyed the game, simple as that. I'm unsure whether I would do it now as life has moved on and if I was presented with the same challenge again, I probably wouldn't do Adventure 2.
              I think it's a case of what time you have spare in your life, if you just want to see the story and be done with it or if you want to play over and over and over just to get a little bit extra. It depends on how long you have to play to unlock the next bit. I'm still happy to play Direct Assault on Rez because I have some more unlockables to get, but with something like Ape Escape where it expects you to essentially play through the whole game again at least once, I'm not interested in the slightest.

Comment

im gonna take annaled as my word. its so err funny to say i analed ivy last night in sc2, or i analed vanessa in pno3 hehe i like that........

Comment

Finally, I tend to think of beaten as 'been through the end of the story'

I tend to use 'beaten perfectly' for when I've unlocked everything.

Though it's very hit and miss for me as to whether I am to beat something, or 'beat it perfectly'.

Normally if the extras involve an extra layer of difficulty then i'll go back to it. So getting all the cheats in goldeneye, tho sometimes frustrating. was worth doing because you were aiming to beat it within as time limit.
                  Though there are some 'collecting' games which i've got everything for (e.g. mario sunshine) and others where it felt like too much like hard work (MGS2 - dog tags).

I'm working my way through Metroid Prime at the moment and doubt i'll ever get 100% for that.

Comment

Once the credits have rolled :P that is when a game has been finished to me.

I do love games where the credits is an option

Nah I play them until I've finished the main game, then if I love the game, will go for 100% completed otherwise I leave it at that.

Comment

"Finish?" I just stop playing when the next shiny thing comes out. I'm susceptible to the flavor of the month hype, and would never sign onto the motivational pact. I just don't have the stones.

OK, that's a bit overstated, but I have tried stuff like Final Fantasy VII knowing full well it really wasn't for me, and that I'd never stick with it long enough to make it worthwhile. I prefer open-ended, skill-based games, not those with a hard ending.

That said, the last major game with an ending I've seen was Halo (on Easy). I'm working on Jedi Outcast at the moment, with Zelda MM, 007 Agent Under Fire, Panzer Dragoon Orta, and Max Payne on the side. At least those seem fairly short. I don't know when I'm going to get to Metroid Prime ... and I really want to play Knights of the Old Republic when it comes out. Trouble is, I'm so easily distracted by stuff like MAME and XBOX Live games.

Too much is not always a good thing.

Comment

Working...
                      X