Deus Ex Invisible War

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Garibaldi Biscuit
    At this point I also understand why the P.C crowd feel betrayed, this inferface really does feel as though it was built primarily around the XBox pad, and as such works fantastically on said console but would be almost like offering re-heated leftovers to many P.C owners who are proud of their machine's difference to console gaming.
    As a PC gamer who is slowly but surely leaving that scene, you won't here me crying over it.

Comment

gah!!!!

too many bloody choices

too much information to take in

too many enemies/would be friends (delete were applicable)

too much to see

too much to do (try stacking 3 bodies on top of a wooden crate)

not enough hours in the day

needless to say i am enjoying this one immensely - its sucked me in much quicker than Kotor did

camps

Comment

ps played a bit of basketball with a dead body -- nuff fun-age

Originally posted by spoiler
        Now i am considering what to do next - just been to the church in lower seattle and tried out the sewers (got attacked by some bloody monster) so decided to go back to the inclinator to sort that mission out (find out what the captain is upto) - but unluckily i have a tiny bit of health and **** all medkits/soy/bread to regain health so every time i get into a battle i need to either finish it quickly or i am back on the load scree
        Dodgy framerate - graphics which do nothing special - dodgy AI - an hud system which is taking a bit of getting used to ......... possible GOTY? oh bloody yes

camps

Comment

Originally posted by reply to camps' spoiler
          Don't you have the regeneration biomod and a few energy cells? They would help you out no end in your current situation. Also, the gas grenade can work wonders if you don't have the strength for a fight. Chuck it from an air vent, climb out of sight until it dissipates, then do what you gotta do in the room while everyone has a nice nap.
          Originally posted by camps
          ...graphics which do nothing special...
          I don't know if that's quite fair. I like the character models in particular. Lots of rounded, smooth facial features and skin that responds well to dynamic lighting. But then I'm spending a bit too long looking at bodies, playing with the ragdoll. When my last mission went awry, I set a perfectly innocent bar lady on fire then took quite a few delicate minutes to arrange her just right on the pool table. Glory.

Comment

Up to Cairo so far, went against the Order's request to assassinate the Scientist who developed the rail-gun tech, but they've given me another chance to redeem myself - not sure I trust them, compared to the WTO their motives and reasoning are cryptic at best, balance, harmony? That could be another description of genocide.
            It's going to be a difficult one to review, that's for sure. I can see why certain elements have been trimmed from the original, but by the same token I do think it was a mistake to discard some of them. Still not convinced about Unified Ammo. I liked the tactical depth that you had to consider in the original by only having a certain ammount of ammo for each sidearm, and also I miss the 'realistic' inventory - balance is disrupted here as you're not penalized for loading up entirely on heavy weapons, whereas in Deus Ex just a flamethrower would immediatly limit your options for other equipment.

Yet despite such alterations I am enjoying it immensely, just have to see how things finally balance out by the time the end credits roll.

Comment

Im not impressed by it... Yes the physics are interesting....but that can't make up for the appalling frame rate, its so bad imo that it makes the game near imposible to play. I dont understand where the problem lies...the graphics aren't doing anything to blast me away and look very rough. The loading time are so frequent i have to stop myself falling asleep between loads....

Ion Storm have let me down..... Boooo Boooo ft:

Comment

Boy, you are really are obsessed with framerate, aren't you?

Insofar the framerate has been, for me anyway, never more than a mild irritation. It's a shame that they couldn't have locked it for release, I suspect the game was rushed out for Christmas, but it never deters from the enjoyable and atmospheric exploration.

I suppose it all comes down to what you're prepared to accept. Of course, it would be sublime to have an extremely polished game , but I expected these niggles and the world that Invisible War has created goes a long way to rectifying them.

The other two factors; graphics and loading times, are quite reminicent of KOTR. In places Invisible War looks great ( character models, light sources and shadows, small touches like the 'virtual' Dukeboxes ), but unless you'd been playing it for a good few hours it isn't easy to get over the lack of anti-alaising and slowdown - the strengths of this title take a little while to become apparent in that aspect.

Loading times, yeah they are a pain. Personally I use them to mull over what I'm going to do next in the game, who to side with etc, and what the consequences of my actions could be. They are placed well enough I think, and there's never the sticking point of one jumping on you when you least expect it, so at least they are well considered in that aspect.

Comment

I suppose it all comes down to what you're prepared to accept. Of course, it would be sublime to have an extremely polished game , but I expected these niggles and the world that Invisible War has created goes a long way to rectifying them.

The other two factors; graphics and loading times, are quite reminicent of KOTR. In places Invisible War looks great ( character models, light sources and shadows, small touches like the 'virtual' Dukeboxes ), but unless you'd been playing it for a good few hours it isn't easy to get over the lack of anti-alaising and slowdown - the strengths of this title take a little while to become apparent in that aspect
                  Yes i like smooth games... Where i can concentrate on the game and not on the aspect of how badly coded it is...All these western games are begining to look very rushed and its a sad state of affairs. They are thinking about $$ more that pleasing the gamer. (Ion Storm will release a patch i bet).

I don't like the character models, got a strange look to them... at the start when you talk to that bird in room 454 or what ever it is.. i could hardly stop laughing at her stupid face and bulbus eyes...
                  The game engine is poor to say the least, i have seen better shadows in splinter cell.. the light sources are ok ....the reflection mapping on the sinks and toilets is rather bad.

I will give it a real go, like i do with all my games. But if the fps don't go above 10fps then its going in the bin...

Comment

But whats the gameplay like?

Comment

Originally posted by Ravon
                      ...the reflection mapping on the sinks and toilets is rather bad.
                      This absolutely ruined the game for me, too.

The sooner big oafish Western coding houses get it through their thick gaijin skulls that we want and expect ****ing perfect bathroom equipment, the sooner I'll buy another Ion Storm product.

Maybe if they spent a little less time crafting an enveloping virtual world governed by real physics, with all that 'multiple solutions to each problem' bollocks, they'd have delivered a product with even half decent **** cans. Cocks.

Comment

Originally posted by the shape
                        Originally posted by Ravon
                        ...the reflection mapping on the sinks and toilets is rather bad.
                        This absolutely ruined the game for me, too.

The sooner big oafish Western coding houses get it through their thick gaijin skulls that we want and expect ****ing perfect bathroom equipment, the sooner I'll buy another Ion Storm product.

Maybe if they spent a little less time crafting an enveloping virtual world governed by real physics, with all that 'multiple solutions to each problem' bollocks, they'd have delivered a product with even half decent **** cans. Cocks.
                        That was actually funny....... Hurray for you.....But the real world physics are a tad ****...

When stupid westerner's realise that the japs are at making games, the better for man-kind.

Comment

Yes, then we'll be innundated with Final Fantasy 25, what a splendid day that will be.

Just completed this tonight, things got very hectic towards the end with the Dentons, the Templars, and the Illuminati vying for my support. The end sequence ( at least the one I experienced ) was a little short considering how the game had built up to it, but provided a nice sense of closure. I merged all mankind with the Helios A.I, which presented a very promising future although also a soulless one, would no struggle and strife mean the death of creative art? An interesting thing to ponder, I think.
                          Just started the review tonight, hopefully the end score will become more apparent to me as I get further into it, as at the moment I'm quite conflicted over it.

Comment

Yes, then we'll be innundated with Final Fantasy 25, what a splendid day that will be.
                            Give it a few years...

Just started the review tonight, hopefully the end score will become more apparent to me as I get further into it, as at the moment I'm quite conflicted over it.
                            Looking forward to reading it, because this appears to be one of those tricky titles that has managed to split opinion all over place completely down the line. Although I own the PS2 version of Deus Ex, I've never actually played it after hearing scare stories about the complexity of the interface. If an open-endedness can be kept to the design, along with a more streamlined control/menu system to make it a little more accessible for poential newcomers like me, then I'm all for it.

Comment

Just completed this tonight, things got very hectic towards the end with the Dentons, the Templars, and the Illuminati vying for my support. The end sequence ( at least the one I experienced ) was a little short considering how the game had built up to it, but provided a nice sense of closure. I merged all mankind with the Helios A.I, which presented a very promising future although also a soulless one, would no struggle and strife mean the death of creative art? An interesting thing to ponder, I think.
                              I assume you are referring to DE1! Yes, the endings are short (that one in particular), but there is a forth "disco" ending. I have no idea how to achieve it, I've only been able to see it using a console cheat to open up a new set of menus. Tres amusant!

Comment

Disco ending eh? I'll have to look into that.

I was referring to Invisible War though, you see it takes the stance that all three endings possible at the climax of Deus Ex occured; JC merged with the Helios A.I, Bob Page was eliminated, and Area 51 was blown sky-high.

Hence......

Originally posted by pretty big spoiler
                                I assisted JC Denton in regaining his sanity and identity after merging with the Helios A.I, and he speculated that the only way to bring humankind forward was for every single person on the planet to be equal. He built a machine to distribute nanotech globally, and used the Aquinas router to distribute it, hence every person on the planet would be able to share in the intelligence and logic of Helios while retaining a measure of themselves - sort of like a compassionate version of the Borg collective.

Comment

Working...
                                X