No announcement yet.

Neo Geo owners - are they worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i know what ur saying, ive got xbox emu discs, but they've barely been played, i just have to be playing originals

i love MVS though, the carts are chunky and rugged, and it feels cool when it comes up with insert coin, gives the real arcade experience

on a side note i just beat Garou for the first time without continuing
    (it was on level 1 but i have to start somewhere )

579800 pts with Jae Hoon

Comment

here is my take on things

i have had a neo in my life (mostly) since 1992, but around the year 2000 i decided to get into the mvs market because i wanted cheaper newer neo games

but my 6 months in the mvs side was a nightmare, dont get me wrong listening to my electrocoin arcade machines speakers was amazing and mostly it was fine but what annoyed me was the bootlegs, sorry bootlegging is rife in the mvs side and i reckon on ebay 80percent of all sales are of bootlegs - so in the end i sold all my stuff off, which i thought was original and even then some were bootlegs

the aes (for me) is the way to go, why confuses me is why mvs owners feel they have to parade around telling everybody they pay less but they try to dress the boring black cart up like a home cart by the use of a shock box, could it be envy - i dont know but AES is always the best choice even if you have to pay ??? more, i would gladly do that that buy a bootleg anyday

anyway back on track, for a while there the 'neo fever' got to me and i was buying everything i could see and i had a pretty sizeable collection (143 carts) which has now been reduced to around 80 carts which will reduce further to around 50 - decided to keep the games that i play rather than collect the games i cant (minosan, quiz kof etc etc)

i have bought every new release since kof 2000 and i have already pre-ordered slug 5, why do i buy it when its cheaper elsewhere, unsure but i think its to with the quality that comes from snk and gradually playmore has been getting it right and every new release is better than the last

other than the home cart system i have a complete uk neo pocket set and a complete cd collection which some rare art sets

my most expensive game thus far has been my prehistoric isle 2 conversion which by anybodies standards is just beautiful, but it wasnt getting the play time and my friend Joe (super monkey balls) should be taking great care of it and as for cheapest i have loads

MVS = cheap, bootlegged rubbish (mostly)
      AES = mostly taken care of gems

for anybody going into MVS i stress try and snap up full kits from reputable sellers whihc matching serials then if there is a comeback at least the seller will help you out

please please MVS owners dont think i am trying to be elitist as anybody who knows me knows that i am not - but i have been an MVS collector and it just fecked me off that much that i had to sell up - too much hassle looking for original games

Comment

Originally posted by Streets Of Rage

579800 pts with Jae Hoon
        play fatal fury special on level 4 for a month and then go back to Garou

i reckon you would get around 10 specials and the rest being AAA ratings

its far too easy in teh stable of the garou family

Comment

Originally posted by buster_broon

579800 pts with Jae Hoon
          play fatal fury special on level 4 for a month and then go back to Garou

i reckon you would get around 10 specials and the rest being AAA ratings

its far too easy in teh stable of the garou family
          I got a 'Miracle' rating on my first ever do. 8) - def. the easiest of the FFs. However - all fighters are designed to be played against human opposition.

Comment

i hear what ur saying broon, i was anxious when my Garou arrived to check it was legit but everything was okay inside thankfully, i try to stick with good sellers with good reps than take a risk elsehwere as bootlegs are more of a problem on the mvs side, i will probs end up going AES some day but right now i cant afford it, as the games i want, the metal slugs and etc are out of my price range on AES ft:

Comment

i will probs end up going AES some day but right now i cant afford it, as the games i want, the metal slugs and etc are out of my price range on AES ft:
              for me i agree that some games are way overpriced so when it comes to expensive games i have conversions

i do have a slug 1 coversion with a manual and it plays faultlessly

the most expensive cart i have is slug X which was bought Us brand new and i have been recently offered 600usd for it - which i declined

but believe it or not the most i have paid for a cart was a conversion and now Super monkey balls is taking care of it

set myself a bar and if a game goes over it i wont pay for it - plain and simple

Comment

As much as I've bitched about AES prices in the past, I've pretty much decided to get a dual set up now. Quite a few of the games are worth the AES price tags that they carry and for the rest I can just play them on my Supergun set-up. The best of both worlds

Comment

Originally posted by Geezer
                  As much as I've bitched about AES prices in the past, I've pretty much decided to get a dual set up now. Quite a few of the games are worth the AES price tags that they carry and for the rest I can just play them on my Supergun set-up. The best of both worlds
                  A very good idea imo. That way you get to play the best versions of the games (as opposed to conversions, CD or roms) at super cheap prices and it's always easy if you suddenly decide you're a collector and fancy going a bit mad.

At the moment i'm happy buying a few converted carts for the silly priced games. If you're willing to do that you can get everything for under ?300. And if they're Deffty's work, they'll look like the real thing.
                  I plan on getting everything I want then saving to upgrade some of my conversions for the real thing (eg Pulstar) but i'm hoping I never go as far as buying a MS1 original, although a couple of years ago i'd never have dreamed of spending ?300 on a game so you never know.
                  One thing I really hope I don't do though is start spending silly money on games I can't even play!

Comment

Okay, I've decided it's time to jump in. I'm about to go and pick up my AES with Art of Fighting 2, Samurai Spirits 2 and KoF 98.
                    (And 2 sticks!)

It better be good :P

Comment

Originally posted by Electric Boogaloo
                      Okay, I've decided it's time to jump in. I'm about to go and pick up my AES with Art of Fighting 2, Samurai Spirits 2 and KoF 98.
                      (And 2 sticks!)

Since you're getting KOF 98 and Samsho 2 it's gonna be

Congrats

Comment

Originally posted by Electric Boogaloo
                        (And 2 sticks!)

just to add the last comment, yes ss2 and kof 98 are superb

but aof2 is just as rewarding - but dont be disheartened - the game is fecking nails but stick with it and you might fight geese, if you're lucky

Comment

Excellent, I can't afford any of the big games yet so I hoped them 3 would be a good starting point, had a quick go on KoF98 which is excellent.

Waiting on my RGB cable from VGI though, should be here tomorrow!

Comment

Heh, I'd planned on starting out with those two games as well Getting SSII soon and then KOF '98 with the machine in about a months time, if all goes well

Comment

hehe, Excellent

KoF98 is proving to be an absolute stormer of a game, and so is Samurai Spirits 2. Art of Fighting though, I coulda done without that one :P

Well, time to start saving for my first big title. I reckon it's gotta be a Metal Slug game, prolly 3

Comment

I'll be going for MOTW after '98 and SSII. After that, it's probably MS4 or 5, as I had MS3 on MVS and now have it on the PS2 (PERFECT conversion, except for the higher resolution, as far as I can tell, and it's a pretty informed opinion, you know )

Comment

Working...
                                X