32bit gaming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by otaku84
    Ill be blunt, I preffered it when it was insulated, and nerdy, and had bad press, a small community of obsessives isolated from everything, when you either played it because you were a collector geek, or a kid.
    I feel exactly the same way. Sure, a wide range of acceptance is a good thing, but looking at what it's done to the industry, I'd prefer not to have it.

Comment

I think it's sad when amazing games like GGX2 can slip into a 2 for ?30 at HMV and still no one buys it, do people not realise how good this game is? The same can be said for VF4Evo these don't get barley any coverage in mags like official PS2 etc.

Comment

I was quite excited about the transition to 32-bit until I played Daytona on the Saturn. I lost quite a lot of interest after that.

The only games I thoroughly enjoyed from the 32-bit era were the Biohazards, the RPGs and the 2D fighters. It's funny how I can say the same for the 128-bit era as well.

Apart from graphics getting better the industry hasn't changed one bit since '96. Name me something as revolutionary as Super Mario 64.

Comment

The 32-bit era gave me Doom on a home console, for which I am eternally grateful

Tomb Raider was fantastic for its' time. I really, really wish the follow-ups to the original were half as good as it, none of the sequels compare to the first game :\

Resident Evil was mind-blowingly good in it's day. Even with Resident Evil 3 the series was still great.

The N64 was the system which hosted possibly the best games of the era though. I played Wave Race 64 to death even inventing my own tricks (which sadly don't work in Blue Storm) and Mario 64 is one of my favourite games of all time. And Ocarina of Time is like, my favourite game of all time

Comment

A lot of people seem to associate 32-bit gaming with the advent of 3D gaming. In which case, the Archimedes home computer beat them all to it many years previous (released in 1987). The Archimedes being the first commercial (true) 32-bit system (using RISC architecture) which was powerfull enough to render 3D worlds (much more fluidly than the ST/Amiga, which were admittedly only 16-bit).

Comment

The 32 bit era was around for a little bit before going mainstream.

I bought a 3DO a little after UK launch....?399. I had come through the 8 bit computer days, through the Amiga, and at the time I bought my 3DO (32 bit cd console) I had an Amiga 1200 and a Snes.

I enjoyed my 3DO....The whole CD thing was a novelty, but the FMV and polygons were intriguing.

Then, on UK launch day I bought a Playstation for ?299. This wasn't a mainstream console like the MD and Snes, this was an expensive elitist gamers console and for me the killer app was Ridge racer. Other games I enjoyed were Rapid Reload and Jumping Flash(the first real 3D platformer).

Then I bought a Saturn and I loved that...Panzer Dragoon, Daytona, Rally, VF2, Virtua Cop loved 'em...and then it all went wrong....I put the blame on such stuff as That bloody Bandicoot, Lara croft et al.

The PS price went down and down, EA started churning out their yearly updates and Gaming became mainstream and trendy and as I knew it died.

Gaming is currently in much the same position as pop music...all profit oriented manufactured crap. For PS2 read Will Young, for X Box read Busted.

God bless Mame.

Comment

The 32bit era was not that bad IMO. The PlayStation and Saturn might have had dozens of bad 3D games, but there were still loads of great games that appealed to veteran gamers as well, and not all of them were 2D.

The biggest problem the 32bit machines created IMO, was their ability to produce "movie-like" graphics and speech. This resulted in a lot more crap games with storylines and FMV sequences instead of gameplay and interaction being made. Western developers were particularly guilty, and still are obsessed with making most games some kind of "cinematic event" instead of concentrating on the gameplay first and foremost.

Comment

Xbox, PS2 and GC are all 32 bit - seems some things haven't changed that much.

Regards
                  Marty

Comment

I really miss the generation of cartridge games. There's something about having a solid cartridge like Zelda: OoT with the hologram cover that makes it more special.

Comment

I miss the cartridge games too - though this is more down to the loading times. Some of the games we play now take ages to boot. Nintendo still seem to be pretty good, but the rest are dire.

I don't believe the advent of the Playstation or Saturn turned the games industry towards where we are now, so much as the media on which games were released, i.e., CD. There was so much space on the discs, many games got filled with lots of CG, simply because they could. It's still happening now.

Regards
                      Marty

Comment

PS2 cpu isnt 32bit, its 64/128

Anyhoo to the issue at hand, like others on here 32bit was a disapointment to me, the 3d was crude and at shocking framerates. i find it hard to play 32bit 3d games these days as the offend my eyes (not in a eye candy way)

16bit is where it was at for me, but then i was at school for 16bit and at work for 32bit. I think that it is a factor in that you buy many more games when you have the cash and therefore each game isnt treasured as much.

Also 32bit tried to kill 2d as it was no longer fashionable - for this reason alone ill always hate 32bit

Comment

32 bit was great, most 3d stuff was deon badly, but some of the 3d stuff still isnt too bad today, was playing ridge racer the other day and altho it looks dated its still very enjoyable, i originally bought a PS1 then swapped over to a Saturn, which was marvellous and had some fantastic games

Comment

Blame the Mega CD and 3DO for all the movie story games. That's where developers first tried to make games and films combine. Thank the lord that the FMV game died with those machines too.

Comment

Originally posted by Shimmyhill
                              PS2 cpu isnt 32bit, its 64/128
                              It's a common misconception - adding up dual processor speeds and claiming it's a true XX-bit system is where the term "Atari Math" originated from.

That lovely emotion engine at it's core is a MIPS III architecture, which at a push might get by as 64 bit (depends on the visibilty of the size of the external registers) - but it's certainly not 128 bit.

Regards
                              Marty

Comment

Working...
                              X