What are you reading now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MO2J
    I'm reading Naked Empire by Terry Goodkind. The eighth instalment of his Sword of Truth series. Quite good but not the best in the series - enjoying it nonetheless.
    Good work man! It's 'the shiznit' or whatever you'd say .
    I got given 'Barry Trotter' for Christmas... probably the most lethargically mundane 'parody' ever. I loathe everything this book is trying to be. It's not clever, witty, intelligent or funny... I have to restrain myself from burning it ft:.

Heh . Camps's recommendation of George RR Martin was good... I've kinda stopped reading though .

Hope you had a good Christmas .

Comment

Have given myself a brief rest from Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy, at the end of book 2 and am reading one of my new books I got at Christmas.

It's the His Dark Materials trilogy by Philip Pullman.
      After seeing how it's been raved over by many, many people I thought I would give it a go. And it's wonderfull, really enjoy it up to now.

For people who have read it, I'm up to where Lyra has an unexpected dinner guest in the 1st book...

Comment

I just read Michael Moore's: Dude, where's my country?

I got it from my girlfriend for Christmas and thought I'd read it. I read it all in one sitting this afternoon. It's really easy to read, but some of the statistics are quite hard to take. Really quite horrifying. It's certainly idealistic and broadens my mind to the inequality in America, and, for me most importantly, gives examples of things you, as a reader, can do to help - although the suggestions were primarily for Americans in the run up to the election. The book really focuses on 9/11, Osama bin Laden and Saddam Hussein and is interesting but I thought fails to really surprise: "I know no weapons were found. I always thought that it was tenuous. Why are you talking about this for 50 pages, when I thought everyone knew that this whole war was questionable?" Maybe as a British Citizen I'm very much different to his target American audience. Possibly he chooses this area to focus on as he is creating a new film on the subject: Fahrenheit 9/11 (SP?).

I enjoyed the section where he addresses the American people and forwards many statistics to illustrate how most Americans are liberals sharing similar ideals, and takes this further - as I said earlier - by giving several examples of action that people can take. I haven't read all the notes and sources, but they certainly look entertaining, more like a condensed version of his facts, than links to sources which I'm very pleased with.

To be honest I felt this book didn't really do much more than Stupid White Men did, but Moore implies that he is obligated to write this by his publisher in the text. Certainly worth a read, I would say I enjoyed it a little more than Al Franken's book: Lies and the Lying Liars who tell them, but I believe that Al Franken's book was probably more informative, but as it focused mainly upon the American media and it's republican bias I felt ostracized as I do not indulge in the American News media that he refers to.

Good book, but I think you'd need to read much more than this before you can form fair, balanced and productive opinions on American politics and policies.

Originally posted by Magnakai
        Well, I just finished The Grapes Of Wrath by John Steinbeck.
        Not sure what to start now...
        I, like darkangel suggest you read of Mice and Men, borrow it from your local library as it is little longer than 100 pages long, but I suggest you read it twice. I was fortunate enough to sit an exam on it (A*) and thoroughly enjoyed it. It is a very good book to examine and dissect for exam purposes as it is succinct and beautifully written. I really enjoyed it and I hope you do to.

My girlfriend has almost finished 'East of Eden' by Steinbeck and she loves it. I was reading it to her the other day, and I must admit from the small amount I read I was totally enthralled. Once again it is poetically written and is all knitted together with a strong sense of character. From the back page, the book draws upon quintessential human emotions and specifically the bible tale of Cain and Abel, and is apparently rather moving. It is also highly critically acclaimed. I shall not try to give the story away, but superficially it has certain links to Grapes of Wrath...

007, I'd be interested in reading that book after you. Do they have an online address I can order a copy from, or do you fancy giving me a loan once you're done

Comment

Are you enjoying it? I was thinking of hunting out the Dark Materials books next time I go shopping.

Comment

Oh, and I recently read Naomi Klein's: 'No Logo'. It was a very detailed look into American Advertising and that kinda thing. I found it quite interesting, but it examined the economy and things that I'm not totally aware of and don't fully understand, so much of her work was unfortunately lost on me. But my girlfriend got me her new book called 'Fences and Windows' which is a book about golbalization and as world economy which I will hopefully be able to relate to more than a book based solely on American statistics.

We'll see

Comment

It took me longer than I'd hoped it would (damn work for getting in my way of a good read), but I finally finished Stephen King's latest Dark Tower novel, "Wolves of the Calla," and damn it if that wasn't a fine book, say thankya! Every character was given plenty of time and development, the central story was incredibly tight, and the pace was just about perfect. I also love all the referencing he did, not only of his own work (Salem's Lot being the major tie-in here), but also from things as far flung as Star Wars and Harry Potter. Nicely done. My only point of wonder, really is how much of himself he plans on bringing into the story. He mentions himself several times, especially near the end, and I have to wonder where he's going with that. I have my concerns, but I'll leave those be and let King tell his tale however he sees fit.

Anyway, a great read, I recommend it to everyone, and it has become my favorite of the series (which had previously been The Wastelands). Thank goodness that the last two books are getting released in 2004. I don't know how much longer I can stand not knowing the end of it.

Comment

I am currently reading 'Investing in Stocks and Shares' by Dr John White. It is an excellent book and is very interesting to read. I decided I want to move into the financial sector in the next couple of years, so a basic understanding of the stock market would be helpful.

Comment

I've picked up Hard-Boiled Wonderland by Haruki Murakami again yesterday and am halfway through it now.

Interesting how he presents these two state-of-mind stories of one person, one told in past, the other in present tense. The connection between these seems to be slowly appearing, hopefully my understanding of what he tries to transmit here will form as well. I'm in need of some sort of resolution at this point, but am patient.

Comment

I'm re-reading His Dark Materials trilogy and it really has made me impatient for the films to come out now! I've just spent the past couple of days devouring books 1 and 2, often losing track of the time! Everything is just so convincing and descriptive without being to intrusive so you can imagine the settings and characters with very little effort. Anyone who has the slightest interest in fantasy/science fiction should read this trilogy.

Comment

Just finished Michel Houellebecq's Atomised for the second time. I love that book. Really depressing. Any book written by someone believes it isn't possible to be happy beyond the age of 13 is going to be a right good laugh.

Just started Eric Hobsbawm's Age of Empire. I really like reading his books because his Marxism gives the story of history structure and flow. He tries to explain events and developments in the broader sense; putting detail where it is necessary to underpin his discussion of the general advancement of societies. I like it anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by nips
                        Oh, and I recently read Naomi Klein's: 'No Logo'. It was a very detailed look into American Advertising and that kinda thing. I found it quite interesting, but it examined the economy and things that I'm not totally aware of and don't fully understand, so much of her work was unfortunately lost on me. But my girlfriend got me her new book called 'Fences and Windows' which is a book about golbalization and as world economy which I will hopefully be able to relate to more than a book based solely on American statistics.

We'll see
                        First book I've read for quite a while and i'm really enjoying it, as nips says it is a little stat heavy and can read like a college essay sometimes, but she always keeps it personal and at least its not condesending in the way these things can be. Well worth a look and it certainly opens your eyes to a few things....

Actually Nips I was quite suprised how much the UK is mentioned, it even mentions Robbie Fowlers infmaous 'dockers' celebration + reclaim the streets and the McLibel trial, but the US is the home of globalization so it is going to concentrate on that a little more....

Comment

No Logo is a great book. A real eye opener. Kind of ironic though that it (and Naomi Klein herself) have practically become a brand in there own right... And speaking of such things the obliogatory website is worth checking out:

The thing I really like about the His Dark Materials trilogy is how it can be read on various levels. On the face of it you've got a book about the adventure of some kids. But under the surface you've got all these great ideas and social commentaries bubbling away. Superb stuff. In fact I think when I've done with Quicksilver I'll reread them myself. Been a couple of years....

Comment

I'm currently reading a load of different things but I've been nailing the graphic novels from Norwich library, a brilliant selection.

I've done an English degree and masters and the Watchmen by Alan Moore is arguably as good as anything I read during my 4 years at university, the level of ambition is dizzying and demands to be reread the minute you finish it. Equally recommended are Maus by Art Spiegelman which is about the holocaust but featuring animals as the main characters and Jimmy Corrigan which is unbelievably brilliant and poignant.

I'm also reading every Bill Bryson book as they arrive at my library as well as the new Michael Moore. Interesting facts but he comes across as a very unlikable man. I'd recommended John Pilger "The New Rulers of the World" as being a better book on similar subjects - it's all about the oil folks.

Comment

Originally posted by chevkoch
                              I've picked up Hard-Boiled Wonderland by Haruki Murakami again yesterday and am halfway through it now.

Interesting how he presents these two state-of-mind stories of one person, one told in past, the other in present tense. The connection between these seems to be slowly appearing, hopefully my understanding of what he tries to transmit here will form as well. I'm in need of some sort of resolution at this point, but am patient.
                              I've read this, and it's a really good book, a little bit weighed down at times. The main character is a bit of a dude though. The book is quite heavy going for the last 100 or so pages but stick with it just to get the explanations of whats happening with this guy. I want to say more, but I'm scared I'll spoil something.

Recently I've just finished reading The Plague by Albert Camus, it was only ?3 in Fopp Records and any books worth reading for that price. Bargain price for a quality read.

I also just got through Lullaby by Chuck Palahniuk, which I have to say is probably my favourite by him so far, better than Survivor and Diary certainly. I like the way the main character is always trying to keep his anger in check by "...and I'm counting 1, counting 2, counting 3..."

Now reading Resurrection Men by Rankin.

Comment

Currently reading Positively Fifth Street by Jame McManus.

True story of the Poker World Series, murder, and cheating in las Vegas all via the POV of a column writer for Harper's Magazine who takes his writing advance for the story and risks it all by actually entering the no-limit Texas Hold 'em world series poker.

Crazy stuff and as close to the action as a man-on-the-street will get to betting $60,000.00 on a single hand in poker.

Comment

Working...
                                X