No announcement yet.

What are you reading now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tales of Unease, a compilation of Conan Doyle shorties. It includes my favourite short story, Lot 249, read for the fifth time. Still a great read.

Comment

American Psycho

Comment

A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini. It's great.

Comment

The Dice Man at the moment, its disturbingly compulsive reading.

Comment

Just real Ukrainian Tractors, well worth a read. Picked up Slaughterhouse 5 from work too, first time I've read it. Absolute classic.

Comment

I have the opportunity to pop into town now rather than seeing what dregs I can pick up at Asda, so I think I'm going to pick up The Road by Cormac McCarthy. Been meaning to read it for a while.

Comment

Bad Day in Blackrock by Kevin Power, excellent read I only got it today and can't put it down.

Comment

Waterstones had a three for two. Picked up The Road along with Let The Right One In, by John Ajvide Lindqvist (Read an article about the upcoming film in Empire and it sounds like a decent Vampire book); and Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, because it sounds ridiculously awesome.

Comment

I am reading Let the Right One in at the moment and it is incredible.
                    I think the film has been and gone at most cinemas, gutted that I missed it, but the book is stunning. They are already planning on an American version of the film

Comment

I brought the latest Senna biography Ayrton Senna: Memories and Momentoes From A Life Lived at full Speed. It's pretty good so far and it has reprinted documents and stuff relating to Senna that are in little sleeves which you can pull out.

Never knew much about the guy, so it's pretty interesting at the moment. Amazing person; complete dedication and focus on what he loved best. Racing.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoraths mullet View Post
                        I am reading Let the Right One in at the moment and it is incredible.
                        I think the film has been and gone at most cinemas, gutted that I missed it, but the book is stunning. They are already planning on an American version of the film
                        It certainly is amazing so far. About 40% of the way through at the moment and I think this is going to end up as one of my favourites - I certainly hope it maintains the quality through to the end. Nearly bought the Blu-Ray earlier, but I think I'll finish the book first and check out a few reviews of that (This is the original film obviously).

Finished The Road before I started that though. I'm probably in the minority, but that gets a massive 'meh' from me. I didn't particularly like the writing style, didn't find anything particularly fascinating or terrifying about the world he envisioned and found it all incredibly predictable. The only high point for me was the relationship between the father and son.

Perhaps I'll do with books that have won a Pulitzer what I tend to do with films that have won Oscars... steer well clear.

Comment

Just finished Logan's Search, the last in the Logan's Run trilogy. Bats*** crazy but good fun. Had a bit of a classic King run lately as well with Christine and The Dead Zone (both good) and I really enjoyed his colab with Straub on The Talisman. Now I'm on Achtung Schweinhund! - about a war-mad boy growing up in the 70s (lots of Airfix soldiers and the Escape from Colditz game) and The Elfish Gene (again!). Another autobiographical 70s tale about a boy obsessed with D&D. If you've ever felt a bit of an awkward outsider as a kid because of your hobby this is for you!

Comment

Originally posted by Number45 View Post
                            It certainly is amazing so far. About 40% of the way through at the moment and I think this is going to end up as one of my favourites - I certainly hope it maintains the quality through to the end. Nearly bought the Blu-Ray earlier, but I think I'll finish the book first and check out a few reviews of that (This is the original film obviously).

Finished The Road before I started that though. I'm probably in the minority, but that gets a massive 'meh' from me. I didn't particularly like the writing style, didn't find anything particularly fascinating or terrifying about the world he envisioned and found it all incredibly predictable. The only high point for me was the relationship between the father and son.

Perhaps I'll do with books that have won a Pulitzer what I tend to do with films that have won Oscars... steer well clear.
                            The film has also had amazing reviews. Mark Kermode says he will be amazed if a better film is released this year. I cannot recommend this book enough. The depth to the characters is impressive, as is their unlikeliness for a such a book.

Comment

Finished two books recently. Firmin: Adventures of a Metropolitan Lowlife by Sam Savage about a rat living in a bookshop which was quite a change for me & very enjoyable too. And then Gone Tomorrow by Lee Child, which as usual was a fine read indeed.

Comment

Dhalgren by Samuel Delany

I've only just started it

Comment

Working...
                                X