No announcement yet.

What are you reading now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I finished reading the second volume of Robert McCammon's "Speaks The Nightbird" books in about three days. Very good read, and went much faster than the first.

At work I've started reading "Halo: First Strike". It is written by Eric Nylund, the fellow who wrote the first Halo book (meaning the good one), and so far it is just as good. Nicely paced and action a'plenty. And at least not I know how the Sarge survived into Halo 2.

At home I'm working through Al Franken's "Lies And The Lying Liars Who Tell Them: A Fair And Balanced Look At The Right" and Stephen King's "Dreamcatcher," which I'd failed to get to before the movie.

Comment

The Complete David Bowie. I read it every time I buy a new Bowie album, to help me understand the CD better. It made me look at "Everyone Says Hi" in a completely different light.

Comment

Originally posted by JRMacumber
        At work I've started reading "Halo: First Strike". It is written by Eric Nylund, the fellow who wrote the first Halo book (meaning the good one), and so far it is just as good. Nicely paced and action a'plenty. And at least not I know how the Sarge survived into Halo 2.

At home I'm working through Al Franken's "Lies And The Lying Liars Who Tell Them: A Fair And Balanced Look At The Right"...
        The first book in the Halo series is better. I prefered the story line generally. It's got the moral discussion, and it's not all fighting, there's just much more emotion. Brilliant. I want to read the 'First Strike' but I'm worried that it's the story for Halo 2. Is it the story for Halo 2, becuase I'd much rather play the game as a fresh experience.

The Al Franken book is really funny, I really enjoyed it, and I don't know half the people he talks about!

Comment

Originally posted by nips
          I want to read the 'First Strike' but I'm worried that it's the story for Halo 2. Is it the story for Halo 2, becuase I'd much rather play the game as a fresh experience.
          It's not, or at least I don't think it is. It's about how Master Chief gets away from the wreckage of Halo and back to Human space, and about the Spartans that were still alive on Reach and what they find deep under ground. I would imagine the game takes place after the book. I could br wrong, but that's the impression I get.

Comment

Just started Slaughter House five by Kurt Vonnegut which I've been meaning to read for years and years.

So far so good, loving the narrative.

Comment

What, the some Spartans were left alive on Reach. But those Covenant bastards glassed the whole planet! That MJOLNIR armour is amazing. Oh, wow, if they are alive and battle ready you can imagine how good the battles on Earth would be.

The footage of Halo 2 appears to be on Earth, so if this accounts the events before that, playing Halo 2 may be like Playing Halo after Reading Fall of Reach (Which is brilliant).

It looks like I'll be buying Halo First Strike then, anyone know any good online book stores?

Comment

Every day the guy I sit next to at work would bring in a fantasy book to read on the toilet. Day in day out he?d read a fantasy book of some kind.

He wouldn?t tell me about them, but whenever I asked I could see this zeal in his eyes. He loved them. So I asked him to let me read one.

He lent me 'Waylander' by David Gemmell:

I?ve never been so impressed by what effectively is an "airport novel". The dialogue is as sharp as Pulp Fiction in places, the characters are deep and interesting, the story is action-packed, and it has as much emotional substance as the Lord of the Rings movies (which is a good thing). You can feel the joy and suffering of the characters in places.

I used to think fantasy books were rubbish, except Lord of the Rings, but if Tolkien is the master of 'high' fantasy, then Gemmell certainly is the king of 'low' fantasy.

Now I?m a huge fan, and I have something new to talk about at work.

Comment

Originally posted by nips
                  What, the some Spartans were left alive on Reach. But those Covenant bastards glassed the whole planet!
                  Not the whole planet. Read the book.

Comment

I used to think fantasy books were rubbish, except Lord of the Rings, but if Tolkien is the master of 'high' fantasy, then Gemmell certainly is the king of 'low' fantasy.
                    I've read a few David Gemmell novels and sadly Waylander is the best by a huge margin, and imho that aint great. His other books staring Druss draw inspiration from such events as the Battle at Little Big Horn, the Alimo etc that points you feel he has a check list.

Currently Im reading: The Dummies guide to the Origins of Middle Earth

A christmas present which explains a lot. And has helped me grasp the concepts of the Simarillion etc that I have had difficulty with for years (down to Tolkiens style of writing)

Comment

The only gemmell book i ever read was knights of the dark renown which i loved, but i haven't read any of his others and i doubt i will (just not my type)

Comment

I've just read a true account of an ex-prisoner's plight in a North Korean prison; she was a high ranking communist officer whose only 'crime' was not swindling goods (ie cloth for suits) for a corrupt higher-up.

It's a horrific book. The way the prioners are tortured defies description. And it's ALL true.

Comment

Dear god, Dreamcatcher is painful to read. I'm a fan of most of King's works, but this one... I feel like I'm forcing myself to like it just so that I'll finish it, and that is never a good sign. I'm constantly finding reasons to do something other than read it. Does anyone here like it? If so, tell me why and give me a reason to go on with it.

At home I've started reading "I Will Fear No Evil" by Heinlein. I read it originally back around ten years ago or so, and lately I've felt a Heinlein kick coming on me. I read "Stranger In A Strange Land" a few months ago, and now I'm on this one. Next I'm thinking of picking up "To Sail Beyond The Sunset" and "Time Enough For Love" to continue my trip down memory lane. Still, one could do a lot worse than revisiting Heinlein.

Comment

I'm reading Starship Troopers - I don't go in for Sci-Fi normally, but I think this is a scream; witty, clever, & has an excellent structure & descriptive narrative.

Comment

If you like it, then you really should consider reading more of Heinlein's work. He had a unique and quite controversal way of looking at the world and at humanity, and he certainly isn't for everyone, but I love him.

Comment

Originally posted by JRMacumber
                                Dear god, Dreamcatcher is painful to read. I'm a fan of most of King's works, but this one... I feel like I'm forcing myself to like it just so that I'll finish it, and that is never a good sign. I'm constantly finding reasons to do something other than read it...
                                I have to agree with that. I love most of King's works, but this one.... I started, but never finished the book. It bored me to tears

Comment

Working...
                                X