Eternal Darkness, anyone else love it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not at all mate.

I was rather unclear with my initial explanation, due to it being somewhat vague. They are both very good games, however, I am going to rate ED ever so slightly higher because it was an original product and felt really different to me.

Whilst there was obviosuly a lot of additions in Capcom's title, it didn't really grip me in quite the same way as Silicon Knights' effort.

Anyway, my bad for potentially turning this into a ED Vs RE thread, let's get back to bigging up Eternal Darkness

Comment

I've played up until Peter Jacobs Chapter and i am enjoying it, but it all seems rather repetitive, both location and task wise. Every level seems to have exactly the same tasks and type of puzzles..Move block, avoid trap, get rune from zombie, put necklace on statue etc.

The visuals have got a lot better though, the lighting in the Cathedral the 2nd time round you play it looks stunning.

Comment

I've never managed to play it through all three times yet, i might go back to it today and see where I last left it. The only thing that bugged me about this game was that boss battle playing as the WW2 guy, it always seemed like pot luck wether you'd get trodden on or not. Or maybe I just cant dodge?

Comment

Originally posted by spoiler
          When u hear talk and read notes on about a hidden city...then when u actually go there, omg. The gate guarded by a giant spider and the view from the top of the tower...amazing atmosphere. Reminded me of the old BBC tv show 'The Tripods' where the boy hears tales of the tripod city and eventually makes it there.

Comment

Despite the Lovecraft homage, I was rather underwhelmed by the game itself. Rather simplistic and more than a little clumsy. Some good ideas however.

Comment

I didn't like it at all, but I won't spoil this positive topic by venting bile all over it. However, if any fans of the game actually want to be insulted they can click here. I wrote that a year ago, I'm slightly less unpleasant these days.

Comment

That's pretty funny

The lack of monsters is a common complaint about ED. It's funny really, as no one ever moaned when the Star Wars trilogy was full of Stormtroopers and there's been plenty of other games with the same limited number of foes to fight.

Still, as long as anyone doesn't mind being called a cretin, I recommend you click on that link

Comment

I've added a few spoiler tags to this thread because some of the insanity effects are too funny to spoil. Please use the spoiler button.

I really liked ED. It was a very simple game. It was more about the story for me. There were only two bits in the whole things that scared me:
                  The bathroom scene = pooh in my pants, and the save game thingy.
                  So as a scary game, it failed. The overly strong magic later in the game kinda made it a bit too easy. But I didnt like it enough to play through again twice to get the complete ending.

Comment

ah frag master, a fellow person who is too scared to play resident evil , i want eternal darkness but i know it will be too scary, oh oh oh!

Comment

I Eternal Darkness. It's the story that did it for me... I was a huge Lovecraft fan in my student days and this is only the 3rd game that I feel has captured the essence of the Cthulu Mythos (without actually BEING bonne fide Cthulu Mythos). The others being the original Alone in the Dark and Shadow over Innsmouth (is that what it was called.. the point and click adventure by infogrammes).

Each level was perfectly sized with enough interesting locations and the I felt I just had to keep playing to see what would happen.

Sadly, I get the impression that it didn't sell anywhere near what it deserved and I reckon that SK will move to Too Human after finishing with Twin Snakes (which I reckon will be ace)

Comment

Originally posted by scottcr
                        The others being the original Alone in the Dark and Shadow over Innsmouth (is that what it was called.. the point and click adventure by infogrammes)
                        It was Shadow of The Comet - a great little title that is still sitting on my PC right now.

Did anyone play the sequel, Prisoner of Ice ?

Absolutely fantastic point and click goodness

I loved Eternal Darkness and found it very innovative in many respects.

I loved the way that the story line just kept going, the instruction booklet having given the impression that there were only five or six main characters / chapters.

Can't wait for the new Call of Cuthulu PC game later this year ( fingers crossed it won't be pants )

Comment

I bought Eternal Darkness aaaaages ago. Loved it for 2 days. Then returned it. Now that its at budget price Im tempted to get it again. Flawed & overhyped ...or unrecognised perfection? Im still not sure. But it has its moments and now that it's cheap* why not? Gosh - Ive got Rogue Squadron 2 so I'm hardly lowering my standards

*Speaking of cheap gaming - I picked up System Shock 2 for $9.95 AUD That game is pure gold.

Comment

Think this game is class. Just started playing through properly (on the second cathedral chapter now). The amount of time and effort put into the game is there to see. The story is fantastic and the voice acting is better than any I have ever heard in a game. The sound and the sanity effects are brilliant and add great atmosphere, as do the style of the graphics. The puzzles aren't always easy (mainly in the mansion) yet I don't feel bored searching for an answer as I do with so many games. Also the magic system - Exceptional IMO.

Great game - So far! Without spoiling anything is it worth the 3 playthroughs for the "final ending"?

Some sanity effects I liked -

The body hanging in the piano room of the mansion. You can hear the rope creaking as it swings back and forth. With a decent sound system (I lack this) I can imagine this game being even better. Then as you go up to the body, you click B, you know whats going to happen and it is done so well it can still make you flinch if you are wrapped up into the game. Good stuff.

Also some of the effects that are directed more towards the character you are playing more than you yourself are quite funky. The one where Alex's Grandfather puts his hand on her shoulder "You was always my favourite little girl" is especially creepy...

Comment

It is indeed great, but i never completed it, did the war level i think and stopped with mario sunshine arrived, i was just getting a bit tired of the extreamly dark locations, also its bloody scary too hehe

Some of the sanity effects are brilliant though
                              For example the save game one, i was screaming thinking i had deleted it myself, but then i felt ok as i knew i could save it again.

Another one when it switches off the screen as if their is no power, or when the pad is pulled out message happens are truely horrible. Some of them are just funny like when you get cut in half or shrink etc. They really do work well, not always great but do add to the game i feel, some of them are great set pieces.
                              I did like the way the game started, surrounded by monsters then just as one hits you, it ends, its avery gory game in the cut scenes, and the noise smake the mansion very scary, such as the knocking of doors or creeking floor boards. Its very disturbing too, some of the things her grand father says. Hmm im tempted to go back and at least complete it.

Oh and its also mo only truely scratched up game, thank you NOM for your great GC wallet which is made of denim. Im lucky it still works!

Comment

Something I just thought of - The brightness on my tv is about right for my eyes but seems to leave this game VERY dark in places. So dark at times that I am waiting for a strike of lightning to be able to see where to go. If I mess with the option panel brightness settings does this improve things? It has a note on that page as if it will make the not so dark sections look like poo. AND if you do edit the option screen brightness can you set it back to default somehow?

Comment

Working...
                                X