No announcement yet.

Eternal Darkness, anyone else love it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just completed Eternal Darkness for the first time. This play was on the Blue route. I have to say, its a great game, there has been a lot of effort put into it, but the story became a tiny bit of a let down to me. The side stories were great, but the final chapter didn't live up to the story beforehand. It was almost as if something big should have happened but never did. Also, the final cut scenes just before and during the final battle were very disjointed. Saying that though I enjoyed the final boss battle and the music during it was great.

I have not heard anyone complain of the story before so perhaps my hopes for it were too high.

Did anyone else think the ending didn't live up to the great story structure beforehand?

Comment

Originally posted by SharkAttack
      I just completed Eternal Darkness for the first time. This play was on the Blue route. I have to say, its a great game, there has been a lot of effort put into it, but the story became a tiny bit of a let down to me. The side stories were great, but the final chapter didn't live up to the story beforehand. It was almost as if something big should have happened but never did. Also, the final cut scenes just before and during the final battle were very disjointed. Saying that though I enjoyed the final boss battle and the music during it was great.

I have not heard anyone complain of the story before so perhaps my hopes for it were too high.

Did anyone else think the ending didn't live up to the great story structure beforehand?
      Mr SharkAttack, when you say this was your first time completing it, do you mean your very first time, or actually 3rd? (U need to beat all 3 Colours to achieve full completion you see)

If this is your only time through, that will explain why the ending feels disappointing and unfinished. It still has two final parts to be added, and the third is quite significant which sums up everything... i cant really say too much more due to ruining it, Unless of course you wish to know, then i can post it if you wish...

Overall though, i suppose the ending does feel a little bit empty in comparison to the rest. It has definitely been left open for a sequel of sorts
      ----Member since April 2002

http://www.redbubble.com/people/adamstone

Comment

Dug this game out after ages. Thought I'd give it another play through since resident 5 came out and I haven't been able to afford that yet, and it's kind of meant to be a horror game.

Have to say it still seems to play well, surprisingly. I'd forgot just how spooky this game was. Definitely I'm not going to play this at night.

Any news on a sequel?

Comment

It's possible Silicon knights may be doing the sequel. Too Human flopped and they know there's a lot of demand for a sequel. Would be nice to see some more horror games around. The Wii (or even DS) would provide more creative opportunities for insanity effects.

Comment

You could do some great ones with the remote speaker!

Comment

- It's quite funny seeing old posts posted back in 2004. Time sure drifts away swiftly...

Anyhoo, I've been playing this again recently and I still find myself completely engrossed. The script is remarkable... I remember when I first played this I was so impressed it inspired me to pursue creative writing. I still think the marvellous voice-acting remains some of the very best work in any videogame and the story weaves together beautifully on the third and final finale.

Visually, the environments still look very solid though the character models most certainly show their age (though, to be fair, they had always been one of the game‘s shortcomings... especally Alex‘ character model, which is surprising considering player‘s use her the most).

Still, absolutely adored this game and it will forever remain in my collection as one of those ’to keep’ titles. Although it will never happen, a sequel or prequel to this would be divine (i would even settle for a remake)
              ----Member since April 2002

http://www.redbubble.com/people/adamstone

Comment

Revel in its N64 majesty:

Comment

Wow! A decade bump!
                  WiseFwomYourGwave.gif

Comment

Strange looking back at the names of lost forum members.

Comment

Absolutely detested this on GC.

Comment

Absolutely love this game. Pure class.

Comment

I never finished this game, but it makes me very nostalgic for the 2003ish era. I was playing it a few months ago on the Wii U using the rereleased GameCube controller.

Comment

Working...
                          X