Eternal Darkness, anyone else love it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eternal Darkness, anyone else love it?

Decided to play through this again and quite frankly I think it's great.

Sure, it's got some rather ropey visuals in places, but they constantly improves asw you get deeper into the game and it's pretty impressive the way Silicon Knights is able to reuse the same locations and still make them seem new.

Voice acting is pretty good throughout and I love the whole nature of the plot. Currently on chapter 7 and loving every dark minute of it

Yeah, it was about this time last year that I was playing through this, I got it for christmas last year.

I liked the sense that you always felt there was something bad about to happen. Especially after the early bathroom scene

Loved the sanity effects as well, my favourite one was in the 3rd chapter I think, in the Church. My characters head fell off, then appeared close up on the screen muttering something.

Comment

Originally posted by spoiler
      I've just had the one where it pretends to delete your save, sheer class

Comment

Great game, one of the most enjoyable iv'e played from start to the finish.
        I remember a sanity effect i had where an advert popped up full screen for "Eternal Darkness 2-Sanitys something or other",cant remember. Thought it was a teaser for the sequel but have heard nothing since. Anyone know any better?

Comment

Originally posted by paveynick
          I remember a sanity effect i had where an advert popped up full screen for "Eternal Darkness 2-Sanitys something or other",cant remember. Thought it was a teaser for the sequel but have heard nothing since. Anyone know any better?
          Well, Silicon Knights has been busy with Twin Snakes. Now it's finished though I'd love to see a sequel.

Comment

Originally posted by paveynick
            I had that one too.

The other good one was where
            the screen goes black and it presents you with a message along the lines of 'Your game disc is faulty, please reset your console'.

Comment

I played up to about the 8th chapter but what a great game !! Probably the best camera system in any game. The soundtrack is also awesome, i actually have it in mp3 format !! (maybe i'll post it on my site)

Comment

Couldn't play it tbh, I just end up turning it off (too scary lol)

I can't play Resident Evil either.

Comment

I enjoyed the whole 'Lovecraft' Cuthulu mythos surrounding the game, that humans were actually just existing on top of an ancient world so bizzare and horrible that we wouldn't be able to bear the truth if all were revealed.

One or two of the characters felt a little underdeveloped, and I rushed through their sections, but mostly SK did an amazingly good job with tying everything together - a sequel developed solely on next-gen hardware, rather than a glossy port ( still a great game, but no-one can deny it suffered because of that ), would be most welcome.

Although the original probably didn't sell well, knowing current market trends in consumers lapping up ****e by the truckfull. I'm almost afraid to ask, was it a terrific 'mainstream' failure?

Comment

Originally posted by Strider
                    I've just had the one where it pretends to delete your save, sheer class
                    I actually ripped out the power when I saw that, I thought i'd selected something wrong

And yeah I think it's a great game, but I still have to finish it :P

Comment

Even after I swore the game couldn't fool me again
                      the memory card one had me diving across my lounge with my arm outstretched desperately trying to pull the card out.
                      I felt such and idiot when I realised what had really happened.

Denis Dyack posted on ign that they were thinking about a sequal but that it wouldn't necessarily have Alex as the main role.[/color][/quote]

Comment

played it from start to finish and loved every minute of it! i think it was the great attention to detail, the voice acting and story that did it for me.

the story is very similar to that of the necronomicon which was written 100's of years ago - check: http://www.digital-brilliance.com/necron/necron.htm

Comment

I?m glad this thread was made. Just recently I started to re-play through Eternal Darkness and forgot just how much I enjoyed it. The plot isn?t the deepest in the world, but it is probably one of the most well executed in a game imo. The script and dialogue is quite frankly unbelievable. I have read through the main script a couple of times, makes me truly appreciate Silicon Knights as a first rate company. If anyone would like the scipt btw, I would be more then happy to send it to you?

Also the Autopsy additions just show how fantastic the voice acting is imo. Throughout it is above average, but those autopsies are something else. I have these two if anyone is interested...

I'll post one here just cause i love them so...

"Oh...oh gibbering insanity wrought in flesh as though an
                          artist had sculpted it! Created from nothing by their
                          mistress Xel'lotath, a canvas as grotesque as any!! Their
                          bodies made no sense - no heads, no organs - an empty husk
                          devoid of the trappings of nature,,,But it walked...it
                          sang...it shrieked!!! A mockery of reason, both natural and
                          mental!! A blasphemy from beyond the Veil!! The veil has
                          opened!! And we should not see beyond!! We...we weren't
                          meant to...never...ever...meant to!! Oh, give us the
                          blessing of ignorance, the happiness of oblivion...Innocence
                          can only be tainted, never returned!"
                          I think my favorite sanity effect was the one where it appears a single fly is slowly walking over the screen. Then another appears? then another? the whole screen covers with them. The first appearance of the two gets me every time. Heh.

I loved the conclusion at the end when completing the game three times. Just incase anyone where hasn?t quite done so, I shall put it in spoiler quotes?

And so it comes to pass. Of the three Ancients, there is nothing. The mighty Chatur?gha has obliterated the insanity of Xel?lotath. The madness of Xel?lotath has overcome the power of Ulyoath. The boundless Ulyoath has decimated the power of Chatur?gha. All at once, separate and simultaneous, for the universe is made of many time streams, many possibilities, all in harmonious synchronicity. Only Mantarok remains, slowly dying. Mantarok, keeper, overseer, warden of Ancients, chaos, an entity trapped between the veils of reality, and the enchanted stakes that impale its flesh. Unable to rally its Guardians, it could only rely on its subtle manipulations of the Roivas family to destroy its enemies. Knowing the nature of the Ancients, it used its pawns to play them against each other, resulting in their mutual annihilation. Now it will languish forever, festering in its tomb?plotting?
                          Love it...

The final battle is quite something too. The addition of the movie scenes showing the anicients in battle as you either performed an attack or were beaten was very nice indeed...

My favourite chapter was most definitely Brother Luther's. The atmosphere created in this chapter was something else... and then what happens to him... at this point almost all hope for humanity seems lost and the game begs to be played more. Just to see what could possibly happen next. Great stuff
                          ----Member since April 2002

http://www.redbubble.com/people/adamstone

Comment

Caned through last night and have now reached Edward's chapter. The atmosphere really is second to none in this game and I rate this so much higher than the Cube's Resident Evil remake.

Comment

Originally posted by Strider
                              Caned through last night and have now reached Edward's chapter. The atmosphere really is second to none in this game and I rate this so much higher than the Cube's Resident Evil remake.

You see? this is where I find it hard to say which I rate higher?

I wasn?t the greatest fan of the older Resident Evil games as a whole, but admired their atmosphere and story. Yet Resident Evil Remake was quite something for me. The controls were fine imo, the graphics incredible, the attention to detail extraordinary, and the atmosphere?even surpassing that of ED sometimes.

But I can?t say I like either one any more then the other. I like them for different reasons. Eternal Darkness for the sheer scale of the story, the voice acting and the many attempts at trying something new wherever possible. Resident Evil Remake for being able to absorb me as much as it did, the gob-smacking visuals, the sense of dread that drifted around ever damn corner? *

*Please don?t think I am trying to say you are comparing the two? you may be, but I am not saying you are I?m just trying to add my view of which I think is better.. and how I cant quite say anyone is better then the other...

Kind regards
                              Adam
                              ----Member since April 2002

http://www.redbubble.com/people/adamstone

Comment

Working...
                              X