Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To get or not to get one.... that is the question!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To get or not to get one.... that is the question!

I had a saturn when i was young, I did another post about deep fear etc....

Anyway I could not afford anything for it I even got the saturn 2nd hand and the pad never worked right.

But now I am older and work I am thinking of re-investing in getting one and the games I always dreamed about getting?

What do you think?
    Is it a waste or is it good?

I would like alot of 4 player games mainly, was saturn good for that thing?

Any opinions, jokes or anything very greatful.
    THanks

Waz

Of course you should! Just imagine being able to play Burning Rangers & Panzer! There was this multiplayer game, I forget its name, but it was a side scrolling beat em'up, ****, was so fun though, lots of swords n stuff, let me go find the name of it...

Comment

jeez was just looking on ebay, the price they still ask these days I dout I be able to get one.

Thought they be cheap.

Comment

Guardian Heroes! thats the name of it

Go spend those pennies!

Comment

yea i remeber that

6 players

Comment

I too have been tempted to get one recently for my collection.

check in the trade forum as their is a guy who lives in japan who does requests at quite reasonable prices. He can get you ltd edtions too.

Venom i think his name is - its in a stciky thread of listed traders/retailers. I think its in the wanted forum now, just check the 3 of them and you'll find it.

should work out a bit cheaper for you and me I hope.?

Comment

I wouldnt bother. Personally I found the Saturn to be the weakest Sega console (barring the MD add-on devices). It has some good games, but none that I couldnt live without or can not be found on other formats.

Comment

i can understand where your coming from, i always wanted a saturn when i was younger but couldn't afford it - picked up a limited edition one a year ago with a handfull of games.

the main problem i had to overcome was just how primitive the graphics are, even the games which pushed it to its limits (Raident Silvergun etc) look like they've been dug up from the grave :P

second hand pal saturns are dirt cheap, around ?30. only problem is the terrible PAL conversions, you can get a basic JAP saturn (boxed) for about ?60.

its worth getting, but dont expect to get as much out of it as you do the current generation of consoles.

Comment

Originally posted by lordcookie
                  I wouldnt bother. Personally I found the Saturn to be the weakest Sega console (barring the MD add-on devices). It has some good games, but none that I couldnt live without or can not be found on other formats.
                  I feel the opposite... IMO the Saturn was Sega's greatest machine for classics. SNES aside it's the one that I keep coming back to... It's got some of the greatest shooters ever and some really amazing 2D stuff in general.

There's plenty of games on it that I couldn't live without... normally I hate lists but...

Silhouette Mirage
                  Battle Garegga
                  Layer Section
                  Exhumed
                  Panzer Dragoon Zwei
                  Panzer Dragoon Saga
                  Soukyugurentai
                  Last Bronx
                  VF2
                  Guardian Force
                  Radiant Silvergun
                  Nights into Dreams
                  Sega Rally

and a few dozen more...

Comment

I love the saturn. Great for so many reasons.
                    Sadly, many of the best games are very pricey.

if you do, try and get Saturn Bomberman, arguably the best Bomberman game EVER.
                    10 players too.
                    But getting multitaps can be tricky.

I once played a 10P set-up, damn, that was fun, we kept getting into little teams, then double crossing each.

<sigh> such nostalgia.

Also, Panzer Dragoon Saga, damned pricey. but hella fun.

If you cant get it, try and find a friend who does have great saturn games.

I only wish I had bought a saturn first, instead of a PSX. Sadly, I lacked financial lubrication at the time, and thought the PSX would be better for imports.
                    Also, try and get it modded, a 60hz booster works nicely.

Tips on finding it cheap:
                    Car boot sales. I once bought a saturn, 2 contrllers and light gun, and scart cable, no plug, for only ?8, that was 2 years ago, but you might get lucky.
                    Charity shops are also good. I say never be ashamed of walking into oxfam, buying up all their gaming gear, then walking out with a big grin on your face.

Goodluck dude!

EDIT:
                    most of the classic are pricey, but there are plenty of fun games for cheap.
                    Virtua cops, house of the dead, die hard arcade, street fighters, and alien trilogy are cheap as chips, and worth playing.
                    Like I said, car boot sales. But be wary, some are getting wise to the schemes of hardcore gamers buying up classics.

Comment

Valken you are right there are some great games for it, especially shooters, but a lot of them can be bought for the PS as well and the conversions are not too different. Plus if you have a chipped xbox you can get many of them a much easier way. The likes of Radiant Slivergun are fantastic, but probably not worth the price tag, and a number of their other games have dated badly imo. I am sure I will get attacked for this, but I really struggle to play Sega Rally now as the framerate is so bad and there are a number of games for the Saturn that share the same problem. I guess if you like some of the Sonic Teams output it is worth getting a Saturn, but personally I never enjoyed the likes of NiGHTS and Burning Rangers.

Comment

I do see your point of view lordcookie, especially regarding the cost of games like Radiant Silvergun. I got mine when it was released... no chance I'd pay the current price.

Regarding the few shooters I mentioned that are also on the Playstation. They're poor ports that just aren't as good.

I guess you mustn't have been a massive fan when it came out if you can't forgive Sega Rally's frame rate. I don't think the gameplay has aged at all.

As for the chipped Xbox thing... it's true it makes things easier but I've never been a fan of emulation personally - not because I'm opposed to piracy etc but because I just don't think it's as good.

Comment

Originally posted by Valken
                          I guess you mustn't have been a massive fan when it came out if you can't forgive Sega Rally's frame rate. I don't think the gameplay has aged at all.
                          I was and still am a big fan of SR, unfortunately I suffer from migraines and games with very choppy framerates dont help. Its why I cant play Perfect Dark for a long period either.

Comment

Way I see it is, you could either get one, or you could not get one. If you really want one, then get one, and if you don`t really want one then don`t.

Comment

Pure logic captain.

Comment

Working...
                              X