Metal Gear Solid - The Twin Snakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by phillai
    Does the US copy have Jap subtitles and Jap language option?
    Why would it?

Whatever, you can change the subtitles. And the Language is in English on the Jap one, so I would oif thought it would be in the US one too.

Comment

I am absolutely revelling in the opportunity to get back into the MGS2 world, although it's a bit awkward having to do it with the GC controller. Did anybody else spend ages watching all the mission briefings, just soaking up the atmosphere? I love the little touches like Snake's James Bond posing...

But I think I'm also disappointed through being such a fan of the original.

Naomi isn't english

Mei-Ling isn't chinese

"Shut up in there will ya!?" isn't the same

But the overall experience is everything MGS2 was, and I haven't even played the best scenes yet. It is rock hard though. I gave up trying to get dog tags undiscovered on normal mode, and just started blasting. The only thing that is slightly easier than MGS2 is the guards don't seem to hear gunshots too well. I killed one of the 2 guards in the Tank Hangar with the SOCOM and the other one stuck to his patrol route. I know they are *supposed* to be a bit dim (IQs over 180 ) but I'm sure they were more reactive than that in MGS2.

Oh yeah, I'm curious.. when everything else was done in the style of MGS2, why didn't the codec scenes get updated to full 3D faces? Was it down to disc space I wonder? (quite surprised it had 2 discs at all)

Comment

Finished the game last night pretty much agree with Darwock I don't like some of the new voice work and I was dissapointed that some of my favorite tunes from the original were not in it like the boss music. However the new custscenes were a great addition and I did find it harder than the original but I did find some of the bosses easier. I think the MGS2 moves for the most part work well in the game although I feel that the game could have been tweaked to make better use of some of them. Overall I think it is a good remake but not quite as good as the resident evil remake. But kudos to silicon knights.

Comment

Originally posted by Darwock
          Oh yeah, I'm curious.. when everything else was done in the style of MGS2, why didn't the codec scenes get updated to full 3D faces? Was it down to disc space I wonder? (quite surprised it had 2 discs at all)
          Nothing to do with disc space, in face the 2D pictures probably take up more, but not huge amounts more. They probably take up less than half a meg as it is. Im guessing the reason behind it was purely a style reason, i felt the 2D pictures displayed a lot more emotion than the 3D ones and just added to the feeling of a high tech operation, the 3D models were a little too good if you get what i mean.

Comment

Just finished it on Normal tonight. Amazed how much I'd forgotten. Amazed that I should really, really play the MSX MG2 game at some point to fill in the detail I read about before playing. But it's quite the stunning game it still was 6 years back... it's interesting for the difference in how someone new to the series, and someone who's part of it (or played MGS1 on the PS1) will go into it all.

Either way, it's a damn fine remake and frankly there's no real reason to ever go back to the PS1 version again.
            Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Did everyone here buy their copy from videogames.ca?

Comment

If you've played the PS1 version (to the point where you know exactly what's coming and what to do), is there really any point in buying this?

Comment

Depends how much you like it and MGS2 really. I know exactly where every hidden item is (and they're still there) but it doesn't detract from the experience at all.

Comment

I just got this yesterday and the controls are really confusing me. I also find trying to use lifts exceptionally difficult as everytime I run up to push the button he throws himself against the wall...

Comment

Yeah, the GC controller was not built for Metal Gear. In the Revolver Ocelot battle I was continually crawling along the floor, equipping/dequipping my scope, throwing empty magazine cartridges at him and detonating the explosives. It was all so much easier on the PS2!

Comment

Originally posted by NiceButDim
                        I also find trying to use lifts exceptionally difficult as everytime I run up to push the button he throws himself against the wall...
                        uh.... press Y (action button) to operate the lift. if you're running & you press X you'll do a forward roll...

i've never played a metal gear game before & i'm loving this!

obviously, i don't know what the original looked like, but did anyone else get a 'metroid prime' feeling when the title screen came up?

fyi Prine; my JPN copy came from play-asia.

Comment

Just this second beat it on Normal. Only took me two days (played for 8hours non stop yesterday, heh) overall time a good 10hours 23mins. But now I cant wait to replay on hard.

The next play through will be less direct with more emphasis put on exploring the many abilities and extras. I just couldn?t help wanting to learn more of the story? the urge to get to the next cut scene was too overwhelming.

I?m currently listening to the utterly superb credit music? need to get the sound track.

Overall: The graphics were generally fairly nice. Nothing too amazing, but nothing noticably horrid also. Some sections much nicer then others, but overall i really cant complain. Music, is fantastic i thought. Some tunes better then others, but overall, very nice.

I havent been so engrossed in a game since Metroid Prime, an utterly fantastic experience - i really cant complain.

Shall post some more detailed impressions later. Need to get some sleep now?
                          ----Member since April 2002

http://www.redbubble.com/people/adamstone

Comment

Go get some kip Adam.

I'm now trecking back to get the PSG to finish off Sniper Wolf.

I'm really enjoying this game, and it's holding my attention for longer then 10 minutes (couple of hours at a time atm!) So that's got to be an ace sign.

I'm trying to get all of the dogtags. But I think, I've missed 4 (how do you miss 4!) I've been dead cautious and stealthy when trying to get them.

Only triggered off one alarm when I went through some infra red beams by accident.

Supurb game!

Comment

I forgot to go back to the hidden 4 and 6 level doors in the Armoury in the first game, so I will do that in my replay through the game...
                              Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Anyone know how to shoot & run at the same time with the FAMAS?
                                Used to do this all the time in the communications tower 'A' ascent on the original MGS.
                                Just a bit annoying, stop-starting to shoot the blighters.

Comment

Working...
                                X