Good Cyberpunk games?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by James Harvey
    About to play BASS. I remember playing the demo of this in Amiga Format and loving it, so I have high hopes for this one.
    THAT GAME SUCKED

It was good up until I don't know, halfway through. And then the game just falls apart. The structure just goes to ****, certain puzzles/locations are uncompleteable/inaccessable until you've triggered these random plot points you had no way of knowing about which are tucked away in some obscure corner of the game. There are incredibly lame monsters thrown randomly in in the later sections of the game, as if the programmers wanted an excuse to show off the Game Over screen. And the way you defeat them is RETARDED...

To cap it all, one of the two main characters just disappears near the end, and doesn't come back!

Basically the main character, Foster, has a robot buddy called Joey, a surly little droid with a sardonic wit who has been his friend since he was a child. He is actually a very funny and likeable character, and is unique in the way his personality is stored on a circuit board, which can be inserted into a new robot body once the old one breaks down. Now in the last 1/8th of the game, the designers decided that Joey's personality would change along with his robot shell!

They don't explain why, it just happens. So you upload his character into a naked synthetic humanoid body, it comes to life and says 'Hello sir!' and starts talking like a gay butler. Foster says 'Hmm, you need a new name, I'll call you Ken!' and that's it. No more Joey. This is like having Louise suddenly disappear in the last ten minutes of 'Thelma and Louise', and replacing her with a character called 'Dave' played by Tony Slattery. And then having none of characters make reference to this fact. Or ever wonder where Louise has gone.

It's a shame, because some of the game is great. Like, the first couple of rooms. The bit that's in the demo I played when I was 11. The next half of the game is taken up by the slow realisation that it isn't as good as you thought it was... and then in the final half you realise that it is in actual fact, when taken as a whole, ass.

Comment

Dont forget the excellent "Flashback" from Delphine software and also "Fade to Black".

"Perfect Dark" perhaps...? No?

"Burn Cycle" on CDI.

Comment

I've always thought of FFVII as being cyberpunk. Probably influenced by seeing the opening sequence the first time...and the whole 'techno' slums under the rotting pizza thing.

Comment

how about Fear Effect 1 and 2?

i didn't play them when they came out but picked up a 2nd hand copy of the first one recently and it isn't bad at all

also, ghost in the shell: stand alone complex is an alright game. bit iffy but it is saved by being ghost in the shell. thats not being a fanboy, it just means that the GITS characters add to it

Comment

I don't think "the genre has been woefully forgotten and undersupported" as it does exist, but in gaming genres tend to specify adjectives or 'what you do' in a game (eg. shooter) rather than themes and settings.

Comment

Rise Of The Dragoon (stunning Mega CD port), Snatcher, BladeRunner, Phantom Dust, System Shock, Syndicate are the best I've played.

Space Cobra Adv is worth a look on the Mega CD too. It's so bad it's good

Comment

Originally posted by James Harvey
                I still have the mini-comic Dave Gibbons (not the guy who writes the games page on Ceefax) drew to promote the game, which I can scan in and put online if anyone's interested.

I used to have that! I'd love to take a look if you have the time, cheers

Comment

For the games that are difficult to find, the torrent site about the dying star is a great aid .

Comment

Without sounding like a retarded ginger person, wtf is a cyberpunk?

Comment

Final Fantasy VII is pritty damn Cyberpunk if you ask me, its not a bad game either.

Comment

Originally posted by gingerj
                        Without sounding like a retarded ginger person, wtf is a cyberpunk?
                        Its a sub-genre of sci-fi set in the near future. The best way to understand it is to read Neuromancer by William Gibson. Or watch Bladerunner. Or for a Japanese take on it, watch the anime feature Ghost in the Shell.

Comment

beats all

Comment

Are there any current gen cyberpunk games worth checking out? Shadowrun SNES is probably my favourite game of all time and I'd love something like that. I understand Shadowrun 360 is nowt like it.

Comment

We probably have to wait for Deus Ex 3.

The new Shadowrun is a multiplayer-only FPS. Sadly.

Comment

Ghost in the Shell PS1?

Comment

Working...
                                X