Good Cyberpunk games?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

6 year bump, impressive.

Cyberpunk is largely out of fashion nowadays, it's all clean shiny or steampunk now.

Comment

6 years?! Bloody hell.

Magnakai's post on the first page is still worth reading. Dreamweb is astoundingly good, as is System Shock 2.

As for current (PS3/360/Wii/PSP/DS/PC) gen stuff, there's really not much that I'd class as distinctly cyberpunk. Actually, there's nothing at all, thinking about it (STALKER is more gritty post-apocalyptic than anything else). I have little hope for Deus Ex 3, as I absolutely hated the second compared to the first. There's this Wiki page.

Comment

If you want a recent gen cyberpunk game then you must check out Despira for the Dreamcast. I have a video of it on my site. Problem is that you need to know Japanese

Yakumo

Comment

Originally posted by abigsmurf View Post
          6 year bump, impressive.

Cyberpunk is largely out of fashion nowadays, it's all clean shiny or steampunk now.
          When you think about it, a major theme of cyberpunk fiction was the idea that we were heading towards an era where giant, faceless corporations would know everything about us and control every aspect of our lives, and that the very concept of privacy would be a myth.

Oh, and the Japanese would be running everything.

Turns out, giant faceless corporations DO know everything about us, pretty much DO control every aspect of our lives, and privacy is more-or-less a myth by this point, but nobody really seems to mind much.

Oh, and nobody's really afraid of the Japanese anymore.

So the genre seems to have kind of fizzled.

Anyway, I'll add "Project Snowblind" to the list of thematically-appropriate games, if it hasn't been mentioned yet.

Comment

Oh, I totally forgot, I actually programmed a few REALLY AWFUL cyberpunk text adventures, and posted about them on the HG101 blog. Search for "2050" which is the first in the trilogy - they're way down, and the one I included in the pack is probably not worth the bother of downloading. I was something like 15 at the time, gov, honest!

Last edited by Sketcz; 08-04-2010, 12:27.

Comment

I made an entry on the HG101 blog regarding this topic, and got some good replies regarding other cyberpunk games. Below are the comments in their unedited form.

I’m also downloading Digital: A Love Story, since it has a really interesting premise! Not quite dystopian future, but as the commenter says, very retropunk.

I know some other games. "Hell: A Cyberpunk thriller", "BloodNet: A Cyberpunk Gothic", "Quarantine" 1 and 2 (intro movie of the first part with real-video with actors is absolutely hilarious).

I wonder if the lack of cyberpunk will lead to...retropunk. You know, games about futuristic computers that take place in the late 80s? Digital: A Love Story is perhaps only the first of such a species.

Last Resort!

What about the Shin Megami Tensei games? You could count out the Personas and the Raidou Kuzohona games, but what about the first 2 Megami Tenseis, the SNES games, Digital Devil Saga, and Devil Summoner for the Sega Saturn? The first game was even called Digital Devil Story.

Amiga games Hired Guns and Captive II were both Dungeon Master clones with cyberpunk settings. Captive 2 in particular sought to offer a big open-ended cyberpunk city. There's also Ripper, a FMV adventure from the same guys who made BloodNet and Hell. The infamously bad fighting game Rise of the Robots and its less terrible sequel take place in a dystopian cyberpunk world too, though both games are only taking place in one robot factory gone haywire.

EA and Starbreeze studios are rumoured to revamp and bring out a new version of the Syndicate game...

SFC-era Megaten, along with Soul Hackers, had a strong cyberpunk influence. Not so much the later games.

If you look into japanese RPGs, you may find some gems :
              deSPIRIA (Dreamcast)
              Ecsaform (ps1)
              Maten Densetsu (snes)
              Wachenröder (saturn)

Dystopia - Nice multiplayer objective-based shooter built on Half-Life 2 engine. http://www.dystopia-game.com/
              Decker - Adventures in cyberspace! Feels more like boadgame but I like it. http://www10.caro.net/dsi/decker/

Comment

Theres Bionic Heart, it's a graphic adventure similar to Snatcher/Policenauts/Space Cobra, it's a pretty decent game if you like that sort of thing.

Review
                Official Site
                Demo

Comment

Its dated badly but Hell for 3DO

And the best IMOH
                  Syndicate

And Syndicate Wars

Or for the brave the Johnny Mnemonic FMV game
                  Last edited by dvdmike; 18-04-2010, 22:13.

Comment

Black Ice, White Noise!

Does Omikron count as cyberpunk?

Comment

I would say it does

Comment

Cyberfunk 2077 anyone?

Comment

Working...
                        X