Good Cyberpunk games?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good Cyberpunk games?

Been wondering recently about decent cyberpunk games, especially being quite a fan of the genre.

I think the genre has been woefully forgotten and undersupported.
    And often is blurred into other genres.

I was looking through release lists, and was hoping for something good on GBA.
    These are the only good ones I could think of, am I missing any?

Snatcher - various
    SD Snatcher
    Deus Ex
    Deus Ex 2
    Shadowrun - (SNES/MD/SegaCD)
    Policenauts
    System Shock 1 (?)
    Bladerunner (PC)

Only 3 of them are on current gen systems, have I missed any?
    Any good recomendations?

Thoughts in general on Cyberpunk games?

I enjoyed Neuromancer on the Amiga, but I'm sure it's aged dreadfully...

Comment

Aha!
      *stretches fingers*
      Unfortunately, Neuromancer hasn't aged that terribly, but it's very odd to play nowadays.
      One of the most obvious ones (although not necessarily definitely cyberpunk) is the great Beneath A Steel Sky. You can play it for free on ScummVM.
      The Underdogs has a good depositary of them.
      Bloodnet is a fantastic Cyberpunk/Vampire Adventure/RPG. Bloody tricky. (hohoho)
      I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream is only arguably Cyberpunk, but it's definitely an excellent adventure game.
      Dreamweb was intresting. It was totally gratuitous, at least for it's time. As the Underdogs review mentions, it had fantastic atmosphere, but there wasn't THAT much to it. Worth a play, though.
      Bioforge is another one that's only arguably Cyberpunk, but is fantastic nontheless, and so deserves a mention.
      You could certainly call Syndicate 1 & 2 cyberpunk. I'm going to assume you know about these ones.
      You've missed out the superb System Shock 2. It had an atmosphere as thick as... congealed blood. Personally, I THINK I preferred it to the first game... In any case, it's definitely worth playing. You should be able to find it online somewhere.
      Rise Of The Dragon was a pretty good adventure game. It was quite simple, but it had a decent atmosphere.
      Uplink was an indie-published futuristic hacking game. Incredibly addictive and very atmospheric. Play the demo at http://www.introversion.co.uk/ and I defy you not to buy the full game.

Okay, that'll do for now. *phew!*
      There's a list of loads of them at The Underdogs. Those are the ones that I've played and thought were worth mentioning.
      Notable exceptions include Manhunt 1 & 2, the BAT games, Omikron: The Nomad Soul (not reaaaally that cyberpunk), G-Police, and the borderline sci-fi ones like Hardwar.
      Happy gaming!

Comment

Uplink is half decent

Edit: Neuromancer (the book) is great

Comment

OMG! Scumm Virtual Machine.. does this mean I can finally play Day of the Tentacle with full voice and sound and not run out of memory? AWESOME

Comment

Quite simply, YES.
            It's an awesome program. The fact that you can download BASS and Flight of The Amazon Queen as freeware and play them on ScummVM is a delightful bonus.

Comment

I can't get dreamweb to run, and I don't fancy making a bootdisk and playing the game from pure dos... any suggestions?

Comment

Anyway to get PC Syndicate Wars to work? Otherwise i'll have to get a ****ty ps1 emu and do it

Comment

Originally posted by Magnakai
                  Quite simply, YES.
                  It's an awesome program. The fact that you can download BASS and Flight of The Amazon Queen as freeware and play them on ScummVM is a delightful bonus.
                  Just played about an hour's worth of Flight of the Amazon Queen for the first time... oh my god it is rubbish!! The voice acting is worth the download alone though!

About to play BASS. I remember playing the demo of this in Amiga Format and loving it, so I have high hopes for this one. I still have the mini-comic Dave Gibbons (not the guy who writes the games page on Ceefax) drew to promote the game, which I can scan in and put online if anyone's interested.

Comment

For high-quality cyberpunk on current consoles don't forget Phantom Crash and Rez. Deus Ex: The Conspiracy is a masterpiece though, probably the definitive cyberpunk title.

If you start looking for sci-fi stuff with borderline cyberpunk elements, then there are tons more like Psyvariar, Zone Of The Enders: 2nd Runner, P.N. 03, Border Down....etc, and lots more from previous gens like Thunder Force V, Ray Crisis, etc

Comment

I strongly recommend Bioforge. It's a bit blocky, but very stylish, and has a great plot. The only thing is to do it PROPERLY - to finish it correctly - is really hard. You can complete the game, but you can well end up merely having finished the plot. There's another whole element - namely, the identity of the character you play - which is unknown to both the character and the player for much of the game.

But basically, it's great, full of a variety of styles, quite intriguing, and features a sequence where you can bludgeon a man to death with his own left arm. That's not right.

Comment

I was looking forward to Bioforge very much... I remember thinking the graphic were INCREDIBLE at the time. I think the models were done by Paul 'Quake 2+3' Steed.

Anyway. I downloaded it off underdogs and I can't get it to work. Anyone else had a go?

Comment

The characters of jet set radio and jet set radio fututre strike me as the most notable cyber punks in this generation of hardware.

Comment

Getting Bioforge to work? Give up now and save your hair.

I snagged a copy off EBay, must have visited about a dozen 'run old P.C software' websites, downloaded so much software to limit my computer, yet when I loaded it up there was no sound and it all moved either comically fast or painfully slow.

I think I might take the advice of a m8 and just buy an old P.C for classic gaming, as trying to run old games on a modern rig is a shortcut to madness.

Comment

Bioforge is (or was) an incredible game. Story wise it has one of the best examples of 'finding out who you are' and the setting of the game is really quite something. Extremely dark and graphic, but the mystery behind it all is so very compelling.

Great set pieces too.

I have no idea how many years I've been waiting for the sequel, but it must arrive one day.

-

Bladerunner on the PC is a great adventure too, although it is a bit on the easy\ short side. The cutscenes at the time were far ahead of anything else in the industry, and the whole style recreated the film as well as anyone could have hoped. Probably badly dated however.

-

The Syndicate series is probably the best example I know of. The first game was perfection, the sequel wasn't far behind.

Comment

Working...
                              X