the elite.

their pure classics!!!!!

gohan.

Comment

You been watching Hey Hey 16k?

Comment

Originally posted by hankwangford
        You been watching Hey Hey 16k?
        yea, it inspired me to get some emulators to play them games again, although i realy should try and get hold of a spectrum again, mine died .

also i should continue my search for an amiga 1200.

gohan.

Comment

Originally posted by innovator
          I think both those systems are completely worthless with nothing of any redeemable value.
          Shamelessly trying to provoke a heated reaction from me?
          Ill have to deny you that pleasure.
          Luckilly Im all argued out today. 8)

Originally posted by Valken
          otaku84,

Such as what exactly?

Such a bold comment requires a little justification.
          Oh, so its a duel hey good sir? Well then, have at you!

ahem... Both systems feature several excellent games, but I only mentioned 1 for each at first. Though since you require further justification, and with innovators harsh words, I shall list several.

The following are some games widely regarded as highly excellent, some would even say timeless. Not specificaly the "special" games you meant for this topic, but Im listing them to show that they were not systems lacking in good games.

3DO:
          Star Control 2: Words cannot describe this fully. Like a combination of Space War meets Elite with the kind of plot that would rival star wars.
          Widely regarded as a classic. I stand by my argument, the reason to own the system. Oh, and a multiplayer mode that is unmatched if you like 2D ship based blasting.
          (for those interested, a freelance group has ported the 3DO version to PC since the source code was released, making it a free download)

Samurai Showdown - not a "special" game, but still an excellent port, and a damned fine game on the system.

Immercenary - unique take on the FPS genre. Overlooked and underated, but with a strange charm. Good for fans of cyberpunk games.

Return Fire - sweet little game that is simply sublime in 2 player. It may not be the epic mecha like those others have mentioned for other systems, but its fun to play regardless.

MSX:
          Snatcher - the classic graphic adventure

Snatcher SD - Snatcher Super Deformed, comedy based version of the above classic. Another Kojima great.

Metal Gear - birth of the stealth genre and a wonderful game to play.

metal Gear 2: Solid Snake - Arguably the best Metal gear game in the series. Contains several gameplay elements found in later Playstation versions. Anyone who has completed this should agree, a fantastic gem that is sadly unknown.

Plus add a whole list of Konami based shooters onto the end of this list, to round up quite a nice system.
          MSX worthless is it Innovator? Clearly you have never played the games then. To think I had actually found some of your previous posts to be very intelligent. Pity.

I think Ill add another 2 games to my original list, these too have an obscure theme, since Im feeling in an obscure mood.

Atari Jaguar:
          Temptest 2000 - The seminal version of Minters fantastic remake?

Alien VS Predator - Chilling, action packed, one giant stage and all 3 characters. Unlike any other FPS at the time.

Comment

Special games to me would be erm:

G-LOK - Gamegear
            Ninja Gaiden - Gamegear
            Sonic 2 - Gamegear
            streets of rage - Gamegear

Although i had a spectrum ZX before my gamegear it rarely got to see daylight and i have no real memories of it otehr than some wwf game something something willy Gamegear ws my first proper gaming experience draining my parents car battery also playing games in the car o wathicng TV with the tuner. Always have rechargable batteries in my pcoket ready for when they were gone during school. i used to love that thing shame my psu has blown out or i'd start to play it again

The next stage would have to be my SNES. I never got it on its first year of release my parents got me a master system instead and i cried cos i didn't want it and i spent the day sulking all i can remember on that thing is erm about 3 games some ****ty gungame where i shot animals. Monaco grand prix and wonderboy. Anyways back to the snes

I was in shock the next christmas to get it and b now i was 8 or 9 and i started to actually understand properly the games i played. So the first game was all stars which i was addicted to and i also got striker and mortal kombat and to me those two were the dogs bollocks. But nothing copmares to the amazement and shear excitment to play killer instinct, star wing and donkey kong. When dokoney kong got released one christmas i nagged and nagged my parents to get it for me after seeing it on channel 3's gaming show of that time "bad influence" i remember them doing a feature on donkey kong and thats how i got to know about it. Anways at that point i started to play proper football and thats all we was talking about in the changing room before match's and during training drills for weeks on end...

Yeah they were some real good gaming moments. I suppose the next special game for me would be mario 64. Ahh now that a great weekend. My cousins next door neighbour got a import .jp 64 console a week after release or something and the next day he got it he brought it round to my cousins house me and my cousins and some of there friends all gathered round the tele to just be gobbsmacked at how special that title really was. For the next year and something till it got its pal release i always had a grin on my face around school when i heard people say i can't wait for mario 64.

Warcraft 2: Tides of darkness & Duke Nukem would be my next special games they were the start of my short lived few years in pc gaming. But boy did i have some fun playing those games they were just flawless.

To be honest on the current generations platforms there hasn't been to many shock horror exciting titles for me. Other than 3 games.

Ikaruga because it changed my whole outlook on the way games should be played and it opened my world to start thinking about mechanics behind games.

The wind waker was another one i've only started playing it and i'm just stunned at how great this game is and i can't understand why it hasn't outsold vice city by now.

The final game that has made me think wow! is eternal darkness which i just made a thread about a coiuple days ago. But yeah that is something else i can't believe it. Its not even a game to me its an interactive novel.

I was late on the dreamcast wagon. But now that i'm finally on it it just classic after classic so far. Skies of arcadia is just genious and i do believe that in 20years time when people look back at gaming genres guilty gear x and marvel vs capcom 2 will stand pretty high up in the bests of... Plus the shooters are out of this world. I'm yet to play either of the shenmue or the sonics but i will purchase them one day to find out what the hype is about but i'm sure i wont be disappointed with either of those.

Comment

Originally posted by gingerj
              Although i had a spectrum ZX before my gamegear it rarely got to see daylight and i have no real memories of it otehr than some wwf game something something willy
              Jet Set Willy? You had to find & assemble rocket ship parts so he could escape from the planet.

As you were 8 or 9 when you got your SNES and you remember Jet Set Willy, your gaming career must have started early. Mind you, I have read articles in the red top newspapers of 3 years olds playing N64s.

Comment

When thinking about whats been really special to me I've surprised myself by not having a game on systems I'd expected I would... hmmm....

BBC - Elite and Exile. These are two of my most played games ever. I still play them to this day.

Sensible Soccer (various formats)

PC - Ultima 7 (I swear that game was ALIVE), Civilisation

XBox - KOTOR

PS2 - Rez

Comment

Megadrive
                  --
                  Micro Machines '96
                  Sonic The Hedgehog 2
                  Dr Robotniks Mean Bean Machine (Puyo Puyo 2 IIRC)
                  NBA Jam TE
                  Comix Zone
                  Streets of Rage
                  Golden Axe
                  Vectorman

Dreamcast
                  --
                  Crazy Taxi
                  Demolition Racer: No Exit

PC
                  --
                  Doom
                  Duke Nukem 3D
                  SimTower

Xbox
                  --
                  Jet Set Radio Future

Playstation
                  --
                  Bishi Bashi Special
                  ISS Pro '98
                  International Track & Field
                  Parappa the Rapper, Um Jammer Lammy, Vib Ribbon
                  Point Blank

N64
                  --
                  F-Zero X

Comment

Originally posted by otaku84
                    MSX:

Metal Gear - birth of the stealth genre and a wonderful game to play.

metal Gear 2: Solid Snake - Arguably the best Metal gear game in the series. Contains several gameplay elements found in later Playstation versions. Anyone who has completed this should agree, a fantastic gem that is sadly unknown.
                    Let's not forget that the MSX MG's wee on the NES ones from a great height. Although I have much love for MG1 NES it pales in comparison. <flamebait>But they all kill the naff Solid series</flamebait>

It's not that I don't believe the MSX didn't have some great special games (Snatcher SD is completely and I almost died laughing playing the English translation - was it a fan translation? "Would you like to buy some Junkers?" "Would you like to buy some drugs?!"), but both it and the 3DO many of us have (perhaps sadly) not played nearly enough of the pair of them. Me included.

Comment

Good to know there another old style MG fan on the boards, they do indeed beat the "solid" series hands down, and yes the MSX version of MG1 is superior to the NES version. But I still have a soft spot for it, and regard it as more of a remix. Sure it has some faults, but its still fun and offers an interesting slightly new perspective on things.

The hotly debate though is, what do you think of Snakes Revenge on the NES? I think it is one of the better games in the NES library, truly excellent. Better than MG1 on the nes, though not as good as MG1 on MSX or indeed MG2SS on MSX2. Sure it may not have been done by Kojima but it still felt true to the series for me, despite those terrible side scrolling sections. At least it actually had Metal gear in it unlike the super computer found in NES MG1.

As for Snatcher SD, it was a fan translation, and I dont know if theyve fixed it, but the original patching glitched the game making it impossible to complete. Junker prices skyrocketted for some reason. Have they fixed this now? havent played it extensively sadly due to the glitch.

Comment

I always liked NES MG1, but I'd never played the MSX version until I emulated it and Snatcher SD 3-4 years ago. It is, to me, a much better game. I stay clear of playing MG1 NES these days because I don't want my memories to be smashed by the MSX version!

Snake's Revenge is... reasonable I guess. It was way too much run n' gun though, kinda defeated the whole idea...

The Snatcher SD glitch wasn't fixed when I played it. Great fun though - I kinda wished that's how the actual game had turned out. Minus the sillyness, obviously

Comment

Atari VCS
                          Space Invaders
                          Dig Dug

MSX - Konami games were great on this system

Antarctic Adventure
                          Penguin Adventure - this was amazing in 1986

Atari ST

Carrier Command
                          UMS

Amiga

Battle Isle - Advance Wars is a simpler version of this game

PC

Civilization
                          Panzer General

Dreamcast

Crazy Taxi

XBOX

Halo

Comment

my fondest memories in gaming

arcade
                            shinobi
                            splatterhouse