No announcement yet.

Paper Mario 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh yeah, one of the chests seems to be in the main town square, at the top of the screen. I think I might need to climb a drainpost, but i can't do that yet.

The other seems to be below you on the final town section on the right, can;t get there yet. If I jump in the water, the shark thing gets me.

Comment

if you go down the pipe the old man unlocks, you can get to a new town.
      i'm just a little past this now, starting to go through a castle, where i beleive the big red dragon from the trailers will be waiting
      should be good

Comment

Ah, I finally worked that out, cheers dude.

Just got a new ability too, the paper aeroplane.

I also must add that so far, it;s been better than I expected. Loving the 2D slash 3D elements to it all.

*nods*

Comment

Oh and has anyone worked out what;s happened in the story yet? And one question I do have regarding the battle, is what the hell is the purpose of the star attack thing? I was just randomly throwing stuff at items.
          Last edited by Guest; 23-07-2004, 21:49.

Comment

The star is like a recovery item...once you use it, power-ups fall from the side of the screen and you pull back on the analogue stick to throw stuff at them, much like throwing eggs in Yoshi's Island. Anything you hit (like a heart), will replenish your energy.

I'm in the second town/area now, which is populated mostly by koopas and toads. Just spent a while trial & error-ing my way past a Thwomp who asks you multiple choice questions in a game show. You need to get 5 correct before he'll let you past.

About the first town...

Is that a noose in the middle of the first area?! Not the kind of thing you expect in a Nintendo game if it is. The whole town has a bit of a "seedy" feel mind you, so it could be

Some stuff I've noticed so far...

You can get a "free" turn during battles if you manage to land a hit on the enemy in realtime before you're transported into the "theatre" with it.

Also, when attacking (during battles), when you jump on enemies heads, you get a sort of grading in the way of a card in the top right of the screen which is dependent on the timing of your hits. If you get 3 the same, you get a "BINGO" chance to replenish your HP/FP.

So far, I'm finding it pretty easy to play, with only the quiz I mentioned posing any sort of real language problem, but it was easily overcome. Great stuff

Comment

would love to pick this up but i am going to be strong and wait for the us release

Comment

Likewise. Story is all really, need to know the English scoop
                Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

I'm shocked that no one else is playing this.

I'm going to play some more tonight. I've got to this green stage, after going through the pipe, and i've had a fight with this octopus thing. But then, I reach this area, with a switch in the distant backround... I think I need to activate it somehow. Hmmm.

Comment

According to some news I posted up earlier the game is selling REALLY well in Japan too.

Sammy B.

Comment

regarding that post above about it being around 9 hours long....i just dont beleive that.

my timer is on about seven and a half, and i'm only on the second chapter, of around six or seven if i'm reading the clues properly.

even knowing exactly what to do, and just rushing through it all, i'd be surprised if that was enough time to level mario up sufficiantly for later levels

Comment

Fuddle, any clues for where i'm stuck?

Comment

is it before the koopa village?
                          i think if you search some bushes then a pipe will appear which takes you to the background (something like that)

Comment

I've made quite a bit of progress, although I'm still only on Chapter 2 (must be a decent-sized game...). I've levelled up 8 times so far, and defeated that red dragon from the trailers a while ago. I've just opened up a new snowy area, plus I got another new ability, and another party member, who adds another new move.
                            Other things I've done since my last post: Meeting Luigi, and controlling two other familiar Mario characters

The further into the game you get, the better it gets. The battles become much more strategic and a lot tougher. Once you've sussed most things out (controls, menus, items etc), you really get absorbed into it despite the language barrier.
                            Which isn't too bad actually. In conversations/cutscenes, you can usually get the gist of what's being said, without knowing what the exact words are because of the use of exclamation & question marks in the speech bubbles. Plus, the cartoon expressions of the characters convey a reasonable amount of emotion, so you're never completey in the dark.

Playing this, isn't really any more difficut than playing a Biohazard game. If you're prepared to do a bit of aimless wandering in search of the answer, then it does eventually present itself to you. Even without the dialogue of the story, it's great fun to play.

Comment

I'm loving this game alot more now, and i'm nowhere near as far as you boss. It's this damn pop quiz that get's me. I'm fighting these 4 rock things, and they're so hard to kill, nothing will hurt them. What I might do, is go back to the shop and equip lots of items, hopefully something will take these bad boys out.

I'm looking forward to seeing some more enemies, and meeting some more party members. This mushroom girl is so annoying, the only thing she seems to do, is just jump on enemies heads, and read a book. She can't level up or do anything else. Or am I missing something?

And has anyone worked out how to counter attack properly? Also, in the battles, what on earth is the point of pressing X and attacking someone in the crowd?
                              Last edited by Guest; 25-07-2004, 22:24.

Comment

If you want the answers to the quiz, PM me, but don't waste your time with the rock-covered mofos, just get killed and start again. They don't appear if you get the quiz right

I'm coming up against them in the game proper now, and I can only damage them with items, none of my other attacks will harm them.

Comment

Working...
                                X