Clear All

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
    https://deadline.com/2018/10/top-gea...19-1202486858/

The BBC has hired Freddie Flintoff and Paddy McGuiness
    No likey? No (brake) lighty.

Comment

https://deadline.com/2018/10/top-gea...19-1202486858/

The BBC has hired Freddie Flintoff and Paddy McGuiness to replace Matt LeBlanc

Kill it off already Beeb
      The BBC still hasn't grasped what made Top Gear great as they lurch from one badly signed contract to another.

Comment

They just seem to be taking a 'bloke off the tele' approach to recasting. They don't seem to understand that the Clarkson era wasn't some carefully planned mega-hit, it was lightning in a bottle that was almost drained of all its energy. Unless they ever backtrack on themselves and get the original trio back they'll never recreate it as anything else is pretty much just the same as the other 'celebs in cars' nonsense that's put out.

The point of the old version was that Clarkson, May and Hammond didn't come from non-driving review backgrounds and their chemistry was believably genuine.

This is like the Poundland version of casting Matt LeBlanc

Comment

T just the same as the other 'celebs in cars' nonsense that's put out.
          Exactly. Look.at fifth gear. Man, that is a boring show. None of the presenters have any appeal besides Tiff. And the guest presenters are the most boring ****ers ever. I mean, Ronny Sullivan! He looks as excited as a dead fish and his opinions are duller than listening to an old man talk about his trip to the post office. Man, what a yawn.

And Freddy who?. I had to look up who he was. Paddy I don't mind. At least he won't come off as being a plank of wood trying to act like he's interested like Matt has always appeared. I'm also glad Rory is being dumped from the main show. That guy was annoying. I'm sure he was there just to appeal to the younger audience.

Comment

Did anyone watch this? I now believe Top Gear is the worst TV show BBC produces. It was utter ****.
            With Paddy and Freddy on the show the BBC have aimed this at the lowest base value. It should be about car enthusiasts having fun with what they are passionate about and taking the viewer with them. Not **** pub banter and fake piss taking with a car in the background. Nothing about Freddy or Paddy make me believe they actually know about or care about the cars they're in.

Comment

Likely they don't. The BBC still doesn't understand Top Gear, they're still convinced it's like their other shows and was crafted into a success when in reality it was lightning in a bottle. They can't recreate it in its old form and it's just damaging to keep trying at this point. The show needs a complete reboot and overhaul, it'll never be as big as it was but it might survive long term in another form.

Comment

So did anyone watch the new Top Gear?

I did. It was ****e!

Okay, why was it ****e? Well, the fact that Chris is treated like the kid who gets picked on is so pathetic especially when he's the only one who knows **** about cars. Paddy I like. I have no problem with him. He's a likeable guy but that cricket player, what a tw*t he is. To me he comes off as a thug who got lucky in life. He really ruined the show with the way he speaks, acts and comments.

Am I bitching about nothing or do others agree?

Comment

Not much interest in the new top gear at all infact had no idea a new series started or know how many series there has been. May take a watch to see what its like.

To me new top gear is like when other countries try and do their own version.....and it just feels forced and presenters have very little chemistry

Comment

It's almost like the BBC actually bought into Clarkson's persona, his dismissive attitude towards any serious car discussion, being the kind of person that unironically says things like "that's for the boffins to worry about". Like they actually believed it, forgetting that Clarkson actually knows a ton about cars (you can see it in his older programmes), including the boring stuff.

Comment

Top Gear is still a hit at home and abroad, so they're not going to cancel it any time soon, so what would you guys suggest to make it work?

I'll be honest, I really liked Chris Evans. At least he has a passion for cars.

I think the big trio can't be replaced, but a mix of knowledge, enthusiasm and energy is needed.

"Lads" banter isn't enough, for me.

I lost interest in TG and the Amazon show, so the last thing I saw was that episode in Japan (which was brilliant).

Comment

The grand tour session 3 was actually pretty good. Not all gold but it landed more then it missed.
                        I said it before, this new top gear is just banter 'Dave' repeat fodder. It's almost nothing to do with cars any more. Utter ****.

Comment

I liked it. Top Gear hasn't been about cars for such a long time now, it all depends on if you like the presenters. It's early days and they need to even out the digs as it was a bit too often aimed at Chris but it was ok.

Comment

Fred Flintoff? They've scraped the bottom of the barrel haven't they.

Comment

And his partner, Barney Rumble.

Comment

Originally posted by Finsbury Girl View Post
                                Fred Flintoff? They've scraped the bottom of the barrel haven't they.
                                Yep. Still didn't enjoy having him on the show but Chris Harris's comment about Fred having difficulty talking and looking where to put the high score made me laugh because it was true.
                                Last edited by Yakumo; 25-06-2019, 02:03.

Comment

Working...
                                X