X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 60-hz
    Very Designers Republic...

...speaking of which:

Wikkid! (and all kinds of design elements going on in there: Neo Tokyo, Futurist, retro, technical author, corrupted files etc).

And a million miles a way from this chav ****:

Why did Curly Monsters have to nick the ****test design elements of Wip3out for Quantum Redshift: they couldn't even pilfer the good ones:

Comment

Originally posted by anephric
      Very Designers Republic...
      Only with a simplicity and appreciation for white space that most DR stuff never demonstrated. I really think a lot of their material has aged pretty badly.

That Quantum Redshift cover is about as generic as it gets for racing games. See also

Hydro Thunder
      Speed Devils
      Trickstyle

And, from the same school of design, Wild Metal. Stick them all on a shelf together, try telling which is which without your glasses on.

As for Resi boxart, none mentioned so far come close to PAL DC Code: Veronica. Artistically bankrupt? You betcha. The default font in Capcom's art package. Absolutely no indication of what the game's actually about. A complete lack of atmosphere. And so on - there's so much wrong with it that it's not even worth trying to list the faults.

But this is a good boxart thread, so we need some good boxart. Like this:

That's a publisher demonstrating complete confidence in a product and trust in the audience. No cheap tricks.

Comment

I like most Designers Republic stuff, and I like "busy space" but I'm an aesthetically bankrupt ho with very dated design sensibilities.

I appreciate your point.

Beyootiful:

And simple.

Comment

Originally posted by buster_broon
          compared with re: zero which has a white cover with re: zero on it with loads of stands of a virus, white cover with blobs right its lovely

thats the 5 year old airbrush

the pal re: 2 has half a skull or something that resembles a skull

with re: remake how is this a good cover (uk version)

Japanese version
          Online shopping for Import Video Games, Digital Codes, iTunes Cards, Mobage & PSN Cards, Movies, Music, Electronics, Computers, Software, Books, Apparel, Personal Care, Toys & more.

us version
          Online shopping for Import Video Games, Digital Codes, iTunes Cards, Mobage & PSN Cards, Movies, Music, Electronics, Computers, Software, Books, Apparel, Personal Care, Toys & more.

at least on the Japanese version you get the mansion or on the Us version, you ahve some characters (zombie and jill) in a tussle

i'm not saying they are the best art around (love snk Japanese art), but they are far far superior than the uk versions
          I actually prefer the Western Resi Evil art, sorry

Edit: One of the best boxes i can remember

And i also forgot:
          Last edited by DjSatansfury; 13-11-2004, 19:06.

Comment

Originally posted by E. Randy Dupre
            Absolutely no indication of what the game's actually about. A complete lack of atmosphere....

But this is a good boxart thread, so we need some good boxart. Like this:

That's a publisher demonstrating complete confidence in a product and trust in the audience. No cheap tricks.
            The Crazy Taxi one doesn't tell me what the game's like, though, does it? It's an exercise in the strength of branding. Which arguably Code Veronica does also, but in a deeply less pleasing way (there's no identifiable "Biohazard" logo akin to Crazy Taxi's).

The minimalist Western art for GC Resi Evil does the same thing... it may lack any "dynamic" but it's selling itself on the strength of brand recognition.
            Last edited by anephric; 13-11-2004, 19:05.

Comment

Heh. DR and Cool Cool Toon in the same post suddenly made me think of their cover for Blech, which is so similar it's frightening.

The Crazy Taxi one doesn't tell me what the game's like, though, does it?
              Dammit. I knew somebody would pull me up for that, just wasn't expecting it to be so soon. No, it doesn't give any indication of what the game actually is, but then it could be argued that it doesn't need to. All the information you need is provided in those two words.

That's a fairly lazy answer, I admit. Thing is, the information on that cover works in a less obvious way. It's in the choice of colours - which are linked to tthe colours used in-game, obviously, but absolutely scream excitement, fun, danger. The designers have looked at the game and said, hey, we don't need to push a half-arsed render on the cover. Anything the buyer needs to know is there in the title, so let's just make sure that the logo's memorable, that we put all our effort into that. And it paid off, because the Crazy Taxi logo is one of the most recognisable around, as evidenced by the boxes for the following two games (although to a lesser extent on 3).

The same's true of the PAL boxes for the two GC Resi titles - they're both stark and confrontational. REmake has the name imprinted on a couple of (quite subtle) blood splatters, all against dark velvet. You don't need anything else - you know it's going to be gothic, you know it's going to be lonely, you know it's going to be bloody. RE0 uses the same tricks, but now you've got the cells in the background, suggesting the virus. And you've got the dagger through the 0, which suggests two things - mainly violence, but it's also designed to look like a warning sign, the red circle with a line through it. It's an absolutely brilliant cover.

So they do provide info, but not in the direct manner that most game art relies on. The Code: Veronica box, on the other hand, only tells you that it's got two characters in it. There's not even any attempt at working with the viewer on a deeper level. It's two people, full stop.

The thing about the brand identities is that in both cases, Crazy Taxi and REmake, both were new at the time they were released, so they were creating branding, not building on something already there. RE had the name, obviously, but that was an exercise in rebranding (pun not intended), as seen by RE0. And, rather pathetically, abandoned with the ports that followed.
              Last edited by E. Randy Dupre; 13-11-2004, 19:27.

Comment

Here are my favourite pieces of box artwork

and what a surprise this is:-

Overall, I'd say gitaroo man is my favourite piece of artwork I've seen on a game. Unsurprisingly all my favourite artwork is from the japanese releases, as the western stuff is usually bordering on offensive. As seen on the outrun 2 pile of ****e cover.

Comment

I always thought the Japanese JSR box looked awful, because of the background.

I love Gitaroo Man's box though, I love the covers where "everything is happening at once". I liked Burning Rangers' for the same reason.

One of my favorites though:

Comment

You can basically tag onto those any of the landscape packaging that Psygnosis produced, particularly the Roger Dean stuff.

Comment

I think most of the drawn ones in this thread are very, very poor. Generic manga characters do not make a nice cover.

That said, I am struggling to think of games with genuinely nice covers... hmm. Maybe I'm just too difficult to please.

Comment

Originally posted by Lyris
                        I always thought the Japanese JSR box looked awful, because of the background.
                        I'm torn cos I love all things JSR and that cover has elements I like and it is quite brave in its messiness... but yes, it is a bit of a mess.

Comment

Originally posted by Inertia_

You can basically tag onto those any of the landscape packaging that Psygnosis produced, particularly the Roger Dean stuff.

Most of those (The Bis aside) scream 1970s Yes album cover at me...

Comment

The JP front/back Box art to Lunar (Mega CD) is the best EVER!

Comment

Most of those (The Bis aside) scream 1970s Yes album cover at me...
                              Not surprising considering Roger Dean (the artist in question) drew all the Yes artwork. And designed their stage setup.

Comment

The Crazy Taxi one doesn't tell me what the game's like, though, does it? It's an exercise in the strength of branding.
                                That is what the back of the box is for

Comment

Working...
                                X