I'm thinkin bout doing a Fanzine/ProZine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm thinkin bout doing a Fanzine/ProZine

Do you think there would be interest in a printed ProZine nowadays?

I'm considering doing one (enough spare time would be a problem though), it would specialize in Japanese originated Retro Games, mainly SuperFamicom, PC-Engine, Saturn & Neo Geo AES.
    Last edited by 2FreshRecords; 02-01-2005, 14:41.

It's a nice idea but the problem these days is that information is easilly available over the net. It is nice to have a printed version but I'm not sure how well it would work.

Yakumo

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo
      It's a nice idea but the problem these days is that information is easilly available over the net
      True, thats what I was thinking

Originally posted by Yakumo
      It is nice to have a printed version
      Yeh would like to try and make it with atleast a full colour cover, with really nice artwork through out. Make the the Zine a sort of collectable item itself.

Comment

Why not check out the lovely 1-up magazine? That's a good read, the love for gaming shows through every page, and it looks great. A perfect example of what you're looking to attain.

Comment

Originally posted by michael
          Why not check out the lovely 1-up magazine? That's a good read, the love for gaming shows through every page, and it looks great. A perfect example of what you're looking to attain.
          Will check it! 8)

Comment

i had this amazing idea (imo) for a fanzine some while back and I'm handing it over to you because 1) I'm to lazy to realise it and 2) it's illegal.

Here goes, each issue has a cover game, e.g, bahamut lagoon (the fan translation) and inside you have a good 4 page review, a mini strategy guide for the first section/s and on the cover - heres the best bit - You have a copy of the game one of those mini cd's complete with emulator and disc graphics and a strategy guide that you simply steal from gamefaqs.

Admit it, It would be really good and it would encourage people to actually play these games rather than just download them and look at them for 5 seconds. I admit, you would be treading on far too many peoples toes to make this a successful venture but it would be a lovely thing and I for one would definately want to own such a mag. I'd even contribute if I could just learn how to string a sentance together and spell words properly.

Comment

nice to see no one gives flying wank about my superb idea.

Comment

is that not just Retro Gamer?

Comment

Yeah! but a trillion times better.

Comment

You don't like RG then Sausagelips? Any reason why?

As for the fanzine / prozine idea, well maybe I can shed some light on this?

I am currently working on issue 3 of my retro gaming fanzine and would like to go the way of the paper eventually however there are a few things to consider.

Firstly, as someone already mentioned, most, if not all of the information you will be supplying will be somewhere on the net, so you have to find a way of presenting it differently. This is where your editorial skills come in to it.

Secondly, to offer a printed fanzine straight off the bat is probably a bad idea as a lot of people will not pay for something that they know nothing about. The only people who get away with this are commercial mags, where people can flick through them in the local newsagents before deciding whether to buy or not.

As a solution to this you can do one of two things...1) Offer free PDF versions of the first few issues, get your name about and slowly introduce the printed material. Offer the printed version first, and then the PDF version (usually cheaper) so many weeks later (this is the way I will be going)....or 2) Offer pages from the fanzine on the website...so for instance if you were doing a 6 page article on the Dreamcast, put the first page on the net with a note at the bottom stating that the rest of the article is available from the paid for fanzine.

The main thing to remember is to get yourself known before you attempt to charge people for it. Oh and being unemployed will help as it takes all your time over, and then some

Good luck and if you need any help give me a shout.
                    Last edited by RetroRevival; 03-01-2005, 01:28.

Comment

Same here - if you want someone to knock together the odd article or two for you, give me a shout

Comment

Working...
                      X