Customs Charges Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll answer my own post.

There are two ways in which you CAN avoid import tax, when your courier is UPS.

One: you are a traveller in the U.K., here for a temporary time.

Two: you are a student in the U.K.

Of course, you could also (if you know a student or a traveller) have the parcel delivered to their name and avoid import tax that way.

Anyway, what happens is as soon as you find out your tracking number, you call up UPS and ask them to track your order. You need to call the post clearance department. If you are a traveller, you tell them that, and ask for a c108 form. They'll ask you what the purpose of your stay in the U.K. is, and for how long you have been here. Additionally, they'll ask you to fax them a photocopy of your passport and your plane ticket. Once they get the fax, they will fill in the c108 on your behalf, and that is that. They will mark on the package that the C.O.D. has been paid, and send the parcel, tax free, your way.

If you tell them you are a student, then you'll need to ask for a C3 form. They will fax it to you (or they can mail it, but fax of course makes life much easier). You fill in the 4 pages there, and send it back, along with a photocopy of your passport and your univeristy acceptance letter. Once they get that, they will mark on your package that C.O.D. has been paid and all is well. No tax.

Now then, if you don't get that sorted before the delivery is scheduled (unless you postpone the delivery itself till a later day), then the driver will show up asking for money. Pay the guy, and then call up post clearance and ask for the appropriate form (either c108 or c3) and explain your situation. Once they have the form completed, they will pass it on to another department which will issue you a refund (they'll write out a cheque). This could take up to 2 weeks, so it's much easier if you actually get on top of things as soon as you have found out the tracking number.

There... 2 ways to avoid import tax when using UPS. I would guess that it would be the same with any other courier, such as FedEx, but I cannot say for sure, as I have really only dealt with UPS.

Comment

Originally posted by Light
      There... 2 ways to avoid import tax when using UPS. I would guess that it would be the same with any other courier, such as FedEx, but I cannot say for sure, as I have really only dealt with UPS.
      considering its the customs office that is charging you the tax and not UPS i guess its the same with everybody else

when i bought my pc and had it shipped to Gibraltar (outside eu) i had to pay the full price and deposit my tax return form at the airport

no matter how hard i tried i couldnt get away with not paying the tax first

you had to claim it back and it can take some time

so i guess if you are a traveller here for a short time you probably would have to pay it first and claim it back or you might not get your parcel before you have to leaft the country again
      Last edited by buster_broon; 10-03-2005, 16:09.

Comment

Originally posted by buster_broon
        considering its the customs office that is charging you the tax and not UPS i guess its the same with everybody else

when i bought my pc and had it shipped to Gibraltar (outside eu) i had to pay the full price and deposit my tax return form at the airport

no matter how hard i tried i couldnt get away with not paying the tax first

you had to claim it back and it can take some time

so i guess if you are a traveller here for a short time you probably would have to pay it first and claim it back or you might not get your parcel before you have to leaft the country again
        Nonsense. From experience I can tell you they won't make you pay for the parcel if you're a traveller.

Come on, you can say it. I'm brilliant.

Comment

Nonsense. From experience I can tell you they won't make you pay for the parcel if you're a traveller.
          oh well i guess it was all a dream then

since i was a traveller to the uk from Gib ft:

Comment

Come on, you can say it. I'm brilliant.
            erm no since you seem to think its UPS thats charging you the tax

oh just for giggles

how does the customs desk know you're a student - just interested

Comment

erm no since you seem to think its UPS thats charging you the tax
              Ok, slight mistake in wording and all of a sudden I don't know what I'm talking about? Look pal, I'm not questioning your gibraltar experience, all I'm saying is that what I said about avoiding the tax is true.

Comment

how does the customs desk know you're a student - just interested
                Mate, I told you, they ask you to fax them a letter of acceptance from your university.

Comment

Originally posted by Abhisara
                  Thanks a lot man, thats really helpful

Comment

Just a note of caution to everyone to look up the duty before buying.
                    I got stung with an extra 11% duty last year, all because the EU was angry at us Brits trading so much with the US - maybe EU based websites should switch to the English language, or at least offer the english language option if they want our business?

Comment

anyone know how much tax i would have to pay on a panasonic q ? follwing that guide it seems to be about 60 od quid ?

Comment

Does anyone know if there's a time limit on customs charges? I ordered some stuff from the US in December and DHL sent me an invoice 3 months later. Am I pretty much stuck with paying this or can I argue that they should have asked for the money before/at delivery?

Comment

do ups want the import tax at the door as i'm thinking of getting a psp + ridge game from liksang and the tax using the guide on this thread comes to around 58 quid ?

Comment

Yeah, UPS ask for the money at the door, or you can settle over the phone with a credit card.

Comment

silly question but is it cheques or cash or card they take at the door ? as i've never used them before

Comment

I dunno tbh. I've used them twice. Paid with cash to the driver on one occasion, and they phoned me up before the delivery had been attempted the other time - paid with CC on that occasion.

Have you considered YesAsia?

If you're not in a hurry, you won't need to pay ANY customs. That's where I got mine from.

Comment

Working...
                                X