Pac-Pix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pac-Pix

This arrived in the post earlier today from YesAsia. I've had a short go on it this evening and it's pretty fun so far. If you've seen any videos of it you'll have a good idea how it plays.

The object of the game is to use Pacmen to rid the bottom screen of ghosts. Once you've created a dodgy rendition of Pacman by drawing his outline, he will travel in a straight line chomping ghosts along the way. You can change his direction by 90 degrees at a time by drawing a perpendicular straight line in front of him, or hold him in place with your stylus. If your Pacman hits an obstacle, then he will turn around and travel in the opposite direction. If he goes off the edge of the screen then you've lost him and you'll need to make a new one.

You can draw any size of Pacman. A small one will travel faster than a big one and is easier to manoeuvre around obstacles, but requires you to be more precise when catching ghosts. It is also possible to draw multiple Pacmen and have them wreak havoc. Later on in the game, some new skills become available such as drawing arrows to shoot things.

The top screen is simply a U-shaped passage which you can enter by travelling off the top edge of the bottom screen. Bonus items or ghosts will sometimes appear here.

The game is divided into chapters each with 5 or 6 levels. Each level has a time limit and a set number of Pacmen you can create. If you run out of time or lose all your Pacmen off the edge of the screen then it's game over and you go back to the chapter select screen. Some chapters have a boss character at the end. When you finish a chapter you are given a ranking based on your score.

There is a basic gallery section which also contains a "sketchbook" where you can practise your Pacman drawings. You can also experiment and draw certain other shapes which the game recognises (try a figure of 8 or 5, or a "M" shape or even a cloud!), but I'm not sure if this has any significance with regards to the main game.

Language barrier isn't a problem. The only Japanese you'll see is some story stuff and in the tutorial sections, but even then in the latter case the diagrams make it obvious what you have to do.

I'm up to Chapter 5 at the moment. It hasn't been particularly difficult so far, but I can imagine it getting a bit more hectic in later levels. It appears there are only 12 chapters in total. You can of course go back and try to improve your score/ranking for each chapter, but I get the feeling this will be one of those games which people will complain about for being too short.

I didn't get a Pacman stylus with my copy, but it was fairly cheap ($44 YA preorder price - $5 coupon + free shipping).

Sounds good. These are the kind of games the DS needs to be releasing imo. Will have to pick it up in the next few weeks.

Comment

teh it sounds really interesting and a bit different. Sounds a shame that both screens aren't used more though.

Comment

anyone know who does have the pacman stylus?

Comment

Bit more in here about it.

I'll be getting my copy a week late as I've asked NCSX to ship it with the new Kirby game.

Comment

Sounds like it could be fun.

Still waiting for my copy from play Asia it was sent on Wednesday (last week) and expected it today but sadly it did not arrive.

Comment

Originally posted by Papercut
              anyone know who does have the pacman stylus?
              Just recieved Pac Pix along with meteos today from play-asia. Pac-pix came with the pacman stylus. Havn't had the chance to play it yet though (hooked on Metoes)
              Last edited by Concrete donkey; 16-03-2005, 17:03.

Comment

When did you order Pac Pix?

I hope it was after me then i know i will have a stylus

Comment

NCSX state that every copy has the stylus - is this true?

Comment

Originally posted by Duddyroar
                    NCSX state that every copy has the stylus - is this true?
                    I got my copy today from NCSX and it has the stylus and I didn't preorder. It beat my Play-asia copy, I might start using them more often considering play-asia's recent postage times have been much slower than usual.

Comment

Originally posted by mr_sockochris
                      play-asia's recent postage times have been much slower than usual.
                      I've noticed this too.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mole
                        When did you order Pac Pix?

I hope it was after me then i know i will have a stylus
                        I ordered on the 10th and it shipped on the 11th. Concerning delivery times, Play-Asia normally takes two weeks to get to me, this only took 5 days so I'm very suprised about that. My Play-Yan I ordered from them was dispatched a few days earlier and has yet to arrive.

I've only played a little beyond the first chapter so far but I like it so far. I need a little practice in directing the pacmen as they keep going off the screen. Not figured out how to direct him down or left very well. Pens good to hold, with a good grip to it. I've been using it for Metoes as well. Fits nicely in the hori pouch. Will probably give more impressions later.

Comment

Aaaarrrggghh!
                          the package containing my copies of Pacpix and Meteos was sent to France and now my importer has received his order, they are no longer in it. I'm going to have to wait till next week now

Comment

Fantastic news i ordered mine on the 4th so i will be getting a stylus

Play-Asia normally take a few days 6-8 to get games to me, i have never waited more tan 9 days for a game, hopefully it wil be here tomorrow.

Comment

My Impressions

Had the game about 30 minutes and have been playing it non stop.

The graphics and sound suit the game nicely but thats not what you want to know is it?

yes the gameplay is shallow but it is very very fun, all the levels have you doing more or less the same thing draw pac man and guide him round to eat the ghosts. every two chapters you get a boss battle where you have to draw a huge pac man and face him off with the boss character who gets bigger and bigger and bigger till you finally ate the bigest one.

I can see myself playing over and over to beat my hi scores i currently have two grade B on the first two levels.

Pac Pix is one of those games that looks boring unless you are playing it, i only bought for the free stylus (which play-asia stole from me) but infact have enjoyed the game.

I will update my impressions when i play some more.

Comment

Working...
                              X