SEGA SATURN - the discussion thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SEGA SATURN - the discussion thread

Now i am normally a bit behind the times so i decided to get myself a nice white Japanese Sega Saturn

i did have a uk spec black one on its initial release but i got rid of it soon afterwards - probably money woes

anyway (back on topic) i just managed to pick myself up one with a selection of poor to pretty decent games and i powered it up for the 1st time today

only tried 2 games so far

Thunderforce gold pack 1: pretty good - brings back the old memories

Streetfighter zero: just excellent absolutely brilliant

i cant remember it being this good and i'm glad i bought it now

now - what games should i buy next, personally like shooters and fighters but i enjoy anything as long as it can hold my attention

so guys tell me what i need to own

Jason

how much did you pay for the Jap Saturn Broon?

Comment

I never got a Saturn on original release but picked up a mint black PAL one from Gamestation last year.

Only just got round to buying games for it last week though and have decided to stay focused and only go for Sega first party games.

Managed to pick up a few so far and tracking a few on fleabay but I doubt I will be bothering with things like Panzer Dragoon Saga or even Guardian Heroes at those prices!!

Comment

theres a huge (1 hour 30mins) file of most (if not all) of the shmups for the Saturn, with a cheeky voiceover here http://www.archive.org/movies/detail...ooting-special

not meaning to link to another forum but these guys know their shmups

http://forum.shmups.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1293

Its good because they've shown which shmups for the Saturn are inferior to the PSX versions (such as Donpachi). Which should save you some money.
        Last edited by LaParka; 23-04-2005, 16:16.

Comment

Originally posted by LaParka
          how much did you pay for the Jap Saturn Broon?
          http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=8185309126 - thats it there

i got it with free next day UPS courier delivery and it arrived within 2 days

also bought the thunderforce gold pack he was selling for $34.99

It is pretty much minty and it has a little yellowing

it looks better in the flesh as the photo on ebay does it no justice

Comment

Free UPS shipping, I bet he wishes he never offered that deal on the ng.com forums

Comment

Salamander Deluxe Pack Plus
              Gradius Deluxe Pack
              Battle Garegga
              Radiant Silvergun
              DodonPachi
              Layer Section
              Street Fighter Zero 3 (best version on any console)
              Elevator Action Returns
              Sengoku Blaede
              Sega Rally

There's loads, but these are the ones that are easy to remember for me. Pretty much any Capcom fighting game is worth a look. The Metal Slug conversion is pretty decent as well, and most of the Neo's older KOF/Fatal Fury games are OK on the Saturn too if you get withdrawal symptoms.

Comment

This should probably be in the retro forum.

Anyways, the Saturn is a wonderful machine, my favourite of the previous generation. If I was starting my collection again, the order would be something like this:

Radiant Silvergun
                Panzer Dragoon Zwei
                Panzer Dragoon Azel
                Panzer Dragoon
                NiGHTS
                Sokyugerentai
                Sega Rally Championship
                Burning Rangers
                Elevator Action Returns
                Salamander Deluxe Pack
                Sexy Parodius
                Power Drift
                Thunderforce 5
                Thunderfoce Gold Pack 2
                Layer Section 2
                Keio Yugekitai
                Jikkyo Oshaberi Parodius
                Pocket Fighter
                Saturn Bomberman
                Daytona CCE
                Sonic R
                Parodius Deluxe Pack

There are plenty of other good shooters on the Saturn, but as I can play them in MAME and I'm not am not *massive* fans of them I'm happy enough not to own the Sat versions. Same with the Capcom fighters.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Ono
                  Managed to pick up a few so far and tracking a few on fleabay but I doubt I will be bothering with things like Panzer Dragoon Saga or even Guardian Heroes at those prices!!
                  Well, thing with the Saturn is that you can't really half way with it. If you just stick with the dirt-cheap, domestic games, your just going to feel like your playing a poor mans PlayStation.
                  The real fun comes when you lay down the hard cash for those import games (switches preferably, though a 4in1 cart will do), and start to explore the vast amounts of Japanese games...
                  ... and as far as PAL gaming goes, the best games really are the most expensive... games like Guardian Heroes and Shining Force III may be insane prices these days, but your paying for some of the best games around. They really are worth the money, even at the price PDS can go for.

Comment

I've just purchased a switched and modded Saturn off the classifieds so am going to scope out the import sites

Comment

I've picked up US Guardian Heroes for less than ?25 on eBay... it's not atrociously priced, if you're patient.

Comment

Picked up an import JPN Saturn shortly after release. Didn't pick up a PlayStation until at least a year after release.

The Saturn was my baby.

Comment

Look out for Elevator Action Returns, I friggin' love that game.

Also, what exactly makes the Satrun Version of SFZ3 better than the DC one?

Comment

DoDonPachi is brilliant, imo much better than the newer arcade/ps2 DOJ version. but you can play it on mame so...?

Comment

Originally posted by moonwhistle
                              Also, what exactly makes the Satrun Version of SFZ3 better than the DC one?
                              I no longer have them, so I can't remember exactly, I just remember it being "better" on the Saturn for some reason. Maybe just because it looks more impressive running on a Saturn, than it does on a DC (where it looks pretty ordinary)...

Comment

Working...
                              X