No announcement yet.

Motorbikes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's nice to hear Ian. I've tried using a bike all year around, but I've found that I simply can't. I do ride all year around, but when the days are icy I find it to precarious to ride on the road.

Make no mistake - biking is dangerous due to the amount of drivers who simply don't pay attention, the cars drive them, rather than them drive the cars. I'd suggest anyone who doesn't believe this who has never ridden a bike, to do a CBT, to see just how much more attention you need to ride a bike on the road. This same attention should be applied in a car, but with impact protection, abs, traction control, airbags etc, people feel like they're invulnerable.

A bike is such a raw experience that non bikers can never really understand just how much involvement there is riding one, and the absolute pleasure this involves, despite the risks.
    Last edited by MartyG; 28-05-2005, 04:54.

Comment

Nice one ian. I used to ride all year round (3 years) but then had to commute to work 90 miles a day, so it was getting too expensive on tyres and servicing on my ninja, so they gave me a car. I'll hopefully be getting rid of it soon.

Comment

I have a scooter , but I am starting to envy people on motorbikes. Reckon I will upgrade in September after my payrise.

Comment

I'd love to try a motorcycle. But when the grey hair starts to kick in, I'll probably get one of these instead...

if anyone saw it on the last series of TopGear, then they'll know it left the bike for dust.

Comment

They still get stuck in traffic jams.

Comment

Doh!

Comment

And I guarantee they cannot do anywhere near the overtakes you can get away with on a bike on the road.

Anything on 4 wheels is no experience compared to that of a bike, no matter how fast on a track.

Comment

I don't doubt it pal.

When it comes to it, and depending on how big my gut is, I'll flip a coin and take it from there....

Comment

if you have a big gut then you need a harley...

Comment

Originally posted by Crisp_Rapper
                      if you have a big gut then you need a harley...
                      Not quite there yet, still got shades of the old six pack.

I've got a new Chopper, does that count?

Apologies if this thread's gone askew.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG
                        Make no mistake - biking is dangerous due to the amount of drivers who simply don't pay attention
                        Too true, i don't ride a motor bike only a mountain bike but you see the same twats, just at the speed my mountain bike goes its not as serious.

However not all bikers are careful, i've had a few tailgate me very close and even one overtake me and other drivers on the outside lane of the motorway. He did get caught though as a police bike was just behind him.

I do think these biker twats are a minority and spoil it for the majority.

Comment

I have owned a scooter since I was 17 and they're great fun.

However after comming off it once and being teffified in wet and icy conditions I called it quits and learned to drive a car last year.

It's still in the garage but I've got a SORN decleration so it's off the road. In a couple of years time I'll renew it and get back on but friving a car is so much easier.

I do love my bike but it's so dangerous in bad conditions. In the summertime though driving it is the best feeling in the world

Comment

I tend to go with the theory that if a rider has an accident it's their fault for not predicting it was going to happen. I presume every person waiting in a sideroad is going to pull out on me and everyone is going to suddenly be where I am without warning. The time I fell off was because I failed to predict there would be a car parked in the road just round the bend (normally empty country road). If I'd been going slow enough to stop in the distance I could see, then I wouldn't have had the accident (and I was doing about 35 in a 40 zone). No point in blaming it on someone else when you are in hospital/the grave.

Comment

Oh sorry I wasent blaming the scooter for my accident I blame my self for the accident but I was talking about the control of the bike in bad conditions.

My accident was me under estimating a corner and I touched the kerb... I only fell off but it was bloody scary and it hurt!

I do love bikes but I prefer, at least for now, the comfort of a car

Comment

I finally did a Direct Access course in October 2004 with Motag and wish I had done it sooner. The course was very comprehensive and I think I learnt more in that week than I have in over five years of driving.

Comment

Working...
                                X