No announcement yet.

Motorbikes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So is it possible to just take a Direct access course, and this will give enough info and training by itself, to pass the motorcycle test, bearing in mind the last time I went on a bike was in my teens (I'm now 33).
    I'm a bit concerned that I might not pass the test as I don't currently have access to, or am able to ride a bike regularly so it would be dificult to get a decent level of practice without some form of decent training.

Comment

Direct access is 5 days. Test on the 5th day. I failed the first time and had to wait a month for a retest. The company I trained with (Motag) gave me a 125 for the day, the day before the retest so I could get back into it and a morning's training on the day of the test. Cost ?100 extra though. There are some companies that will keep training you till you pass for a fixed price. Cost more though.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian(not Ian)
        I dont, and never have driven a motor car.
        I was the same, only passed car test when I was 30 and second child arrived, until then it was all bike action and relying on the Mrs to drive

Comment

Originally posted by davidholliss
          I was the same, only passed car test when I was 30 and second child arrived, until then it was all bike action and relying on the Mrs to drive
          Having said that however. My work is sponsoring me for lessons and a test in September. I still dont intend to buy a car though (assuming I can pass the test anyway)

Yesterday's run was a bumper was a lot of fun, but too many cars about for my liking. I came as close as I ever have to hitting one of the oncoming buggers when overtaking 3 cars at the same time. handlebar missed his wing mirror by mere inches. The sound of the wind was frightening, like a sonic boom. Combined speed when we passed each other was about 140MPH I'd say.

Brown pants for a while an no overtaking after that I can tell you.

Stay safe chums only overtake when it's clear ahead, which is what I have always done up to now.

Comment

I had some bugger coming in the opposite direction veer across the centre line on purpose because he didn't like me overtaking. There was loads of room for the overtake, and I made sure that I was right into the curb when I saw him doing it, but it was a bloody stupid thing to do. I could move, the car I overtook couldn't, and really, what was the point in doing it? I wasn't stopping him from progressing anywhere. Sheer lunacy.

Comment

Crazy.

I'm back in Farnborough for work now (15 mins, so using the bike). Got air twice on the way in.... Almost landed on some old guy in a metro. Braking while landing isn't clever.

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr
                Direct access is 5 days. Test on the 5th day. I failed the first time and had to wait a month for a retest. The company I trained with (Motag) gave me a 125 for the day, the day before the retest so I could get back into it and a morning's training on the day of the test. Cost ?100 extra though. There are some companies that will keep training you till you pass for a fixed price. Cost more though.
                Cheers for that
                I have been checking out Motags website which seems clear and straightforward, and I will likely use them for my training, just need to save up the cashnow.

Comment

Motorbikes scare the crap out of me. You'd have to pay me to get on one!

Comment

It's an exhilarating experience though Ady. It's not something you can comprehend without trying.

Comment

Just as you hate poor drivers, drivers hate poor motorcyclists, only most of us can't tell the difference between a good one and a bad one. When confronted with a 'safe' ovetaking bike the first reaction is 'What the **** is he doing, idiot'.

When I read exhilirating I often read reckless, if a bike is that much quicker etc, what's the rush in getting past traffic that is probably pretty close to the legal limit anyway?

Comment

I hate poor motorcyclists too.

Those people who get too close to your bumper, or who do dangerous overtakes are as much as a liability to bikers as car drivers. Bikes accelarate at such an extreme rate, almost F1 speeds, that car drivers who've never ridden a bike would think many of the overtakes we do are dangerous. A good guide to tell if an overtake is dangerous is if the brake lights come on, a good overtake, even traffic hopping, doesn't need any braking at all, it's all done on the throttle.

I can assure you that there are far more poor car drivers than poor bikers, as poor bikers either end up maimed or dead.

Surely you cannot disagree that the general level of driver skill could be remarkably improved on with better driver training.
                        Last edited by MartyG; 01-06-2005, 05:12.

Comment

Motorcyclists that hover 3 inches from the corner of your rear bumper are the twats to watch out for. Someone at work did this and just before going to overtake, did his "lifesaver" (look over shoulder to check for car) and the next thing he knew, he was in hospital waking up 6 weeks later. The car he was tailgating had braked while he was doing the "lifesaver" (the irony) and he had driven into the back of it. Fool.

Comment

Hehe.

My mate's wife stopped at traffic lights the other week and got a V-max in the boot of her car. Totally stoved in the boot, bumper, tail window etc and ended up under the car.

Blokey wasn't hurt, he just didn't brake / was dreaming at the time.

Comment

Check out These Crazy Foos. Good skills.

Comment

Just about to get back on two wheels myself. Went to look at an old Yam TDR125 last night and think I'll get it. Still have to see it in daylight though and check a few things out.

Got my CBT booked for next week too so I should be missing the jams of Brighton again within a week.

Can't wait, only had a 50cc scoot before so am looking forward to a 'real' bike.

Comment

Working...
                                X