No announcement yet.

Show us your dogs!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[MENTION=3144]Dogg Thang[/MENTION]: thanks for your empathetic viewpoint.

She definitely isn't getting the boot to upset the daughter. I was willing to share the load; feeding, training, walking, pooper scooping, etc. but I've been doing it all, or 95% of it and that's not what I signed up for. The problem is not the beautiful dog, it's us. I have always enjoyed greeting and playing with dogs, but after the interaction, my first thought is "now where can I wash my hands?". I don't think dog people think like that.

Also, I don't resent Tilly, I know it's not her. I took her for a walk yesterday in the morning and she saw another dog on the other side of the road and she was very interested but sat down behind my legs and peered out. Last night on another walk she met an old, stately looking Lab and they had a wonderful interaction (she was a little skittish) and when we got home she was so pumped up, she went mad, playing with me in the garden, like she had a new lease of life. It broke my heart knowing that we were going to give her up, but we shouldn't have gone down this road. Now we're all a bit worse off.
    Last edited by gunrock; 04-06-2019, 16:15.

Comment

Yeah, that's really hard. I guess we can only hope she ends up in a good home and this was just one little step in her journey. We once had a rescue dog we had to have rehomed and it was really hard. A different situation - the dog turned out to have some serious anger issues which I could have dealt with but we had two toddlers and so he couldn't be trusted with them. But it was still really difficult. He wasn't a bad dog - it was fear just from whatever had happened to him before he got to us. If I hadn't had the kids, I would have kept him and hopefully trained him out of it and given him a stable home but it wasn't to be.

Comment

Originally posted by gunrock View Post
        None of that changes what you say and I respect your views.
        Sorry, I was logging back in to edit my post, thought I was a bit harsh.

I have been rescuing and supporting some of the rescue groups for just over 15 years now and it breaks my heart to see what some of these dogs go through, so get a bit carried away.

But appreciate your reply. Genuinely.
        It is a horrible situation to be in.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
          Yeah, that's really hard. I guess we can only hope she ends up in a good home and this was just one little step in her journey. We once had a rescue dog we had to have rehomed and it was really hard. A different situation - the dog turned out to have some serious anger issues which I could have dealt with but we had two toddlers and so he couldn't be trusted with them. But it was still really difficult. He wasn't a bad dog - it was fear just from whatever had happened to him before he got to us. If I hadn't had the kids, I would have kept him and hopefully trained him out of it and given him a stable home but it wasn't to be.
          Our latest rescue was a bit like that, still is now sometimes. As you say it is fear, they do what they need to do to protect themselves. We have had her just over a year now and she is just about starting to trust strangers, still not sure with some men, especially bald guys. She was found in the mountains in Romania with Pups, only 18 months old, where they were put in a kill centre, where they round them up and when they get 200 they put them to sleep and get paid for it. Nasty places though as they are all in together and they have to fight for their food. She was one of the lucky ones who got bought by some rescue group. Her and her pups were brought over to the UK and the pups were homed straight away, we got her, but she speant a few weeks in a foster home. She was petrified on a lead to start with, we couldn't let her off the lead for 10 months. We had her on a tracker collar, and when we let her off after a couple of weeks she did run off. We got her back through the tracker.She is still very independent and will go off at night and sit on her own, but she is has gone from being a very timid dog who is scared of people into a real happy girl and starting to really enjoy life and trust people.

Comment

This video is more about the caterpillars, but ma dug is in it anyway. This was 30mins ago:

Comment

About the "now where can I wash my hands" thing. That lasts a month or so. And then it's dog licking your face and not caring, putting you hand in its mouth and then eating your own, etc.

Comment

[MENTION=25]charlesr[/MENTION]: that's what I mean - that would never be me. I haven't eaten breakfast at all because the whole poop pickup thing just makes me not want food (maybe not a bad thing in itself!).

Also, if you weren't super quick, sometimes, if it was juicy looking, she'd turn back and have a couple of quick licks her poop - so she was never going to get to lick ma face!
                Last edited by gunrock; 06-06-2019, 14:58.

Comment

So there's some good news from all this, we took her to her new foster mum yesterday and firstly, she seemed a little wary but not too bad and when she got into her car and smelled the seat and detected the foster mum's dog Billy, she seemed very excited. As they started to drive away, her head was poking out of top of the travel crate and her eyes were fixed on mine and she didn't seem alarmed or concerned.
                  Three hours later, got some pics of her playing with Billy and looking very relaxed and at ease with him and her new family.

Then this morning it dawned on me, why, after her last few walks, when she'd had a couple of good interactions with dogs, why she was so pumped at home in the garden - she missed other dogs! In her Bosnian rescue foster home she lived with 4 dogs and six cats (not in cages but free roaming). In all the pics before we got before we got her, she was with other dogs (in one, she was sat happily next to a cat!) and it occurred to me that if we could have kept her, she probably would have been happy, but not really living her best life.

And that thought has really helped me realise it was absolutely for the best. I'll post a couple of pics later of her with her new best buddy at her foster family.
                  Last edited by gunrock; 06-06-2019, 14:44.

Comment

Nice one mate!

I bet you're well relieved?

We have realised after spending a weekend at friends that our rescue really enjoys being with other dogs too.
                    Hence my wife is now scouring facebook for a rescue pal for her!

Comment

My blue roan cocker spaniel just turned 4!

Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users.

Comment

[MENTION=988]gIzzE[/MENTION]: yeah, relieved that she is doing great. Just got a text to say she slept on her cushion and not in her crate, which means she is relaxed and content.
                        At her new place:

Makes me sound like a sap, but I've cried more in the last few days about this dog, than in the last 20 years... she had an incredible effect on me, so I'm just happy she's happy.
                        Last edited by gunrock; 06-06-2019, 19:42.

Comment

Originally posted by gunrock View Post
                          @gIzzE: yeah, relieved that she is doing great. Just got a text to say she slept on her cushion and not in her crate, which means she is relaxed and content.
                          At her new place:

Makes me sound like a sap, but I've cried more in the last few days about this dog, than in the last 20 years... she had an incredible effect on me, so I'm just happy she's happy.

Ahhh, nice one.

I know what you mean, I have lost family and friends over the years, but there is something that gets you with an animal. Maybe it is the fact you are not able to talk to them, you never know whether they understand that what you are doing for them is what you believe is best. You just want them to know you are doing it for them.

Comment

Comment

Last edited by Zen Monkey; 26-06-2019, 10:54.

Comment

The foster folks have decided to keep her. Said they fell in love with her (which I can understand). They said that their dog, Billy was calmer with her around.

Last edited by gunrock; 26-06-2019, 20:10.

Comment

Working...
                                X