Final Fantasy VII

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Final Fantasy VII

I don't like RPG's but this game has such amazing things said about it and huge hype etc. etc. so I figured I would give it a go and saw it for ?5 in my local second hand place.

Is it worthy of all the hype and praise, anywhere I can get a general overview of the game? (I know nothing about it)

Not every critic is the same. Metacritic offers aggregated game reviews from the top critics, and our own METASCORE pinpoints at a glance how each game was reviewed.

my fav game of all time

play it. love it. play it again. have its babies

Comment

Definately the game that got me into RPG's. Thing is though, so many people shun it after only a couple of hours play. My advice is, put aside a whole night (6/7 hours) and sit and enjoy the ride.

The plot has yet to be surpassed, and the Materia fighting system is so unbelievably deep, with many hidden treasures to be found.

Just give this the time it deserves, and you'll have the best 3 weeks of your life

Comment

Read the 'making of' in last months edge. That should get you hyped.

Comment

Definitely worth all the hype and more, FF7 my favourite game ever. Typical save the planet from the evil corporates draining the life out of the planet with one superevil character that tries to bring the world to an end (there's nothing wrong with that) type storyline. Best set of characters I've seen yet from any Square RPG. You really do start relating with the characters

*potential spoiler*...........I think that all the FF7 fans were gutted when the leading lady of the first disc snuffed it (and the music didn't help either!). I also made sure that the treachorous little b#stard that nicked my key to the ancients never made it into my party again. don't even talk about the theiving b#stard that nicked my materia!!!!!!!!!

*potential spoiler ends*

Superb and memorable tracks. Loads of minigames. Best magic system (though you won't think so at first!). You need to give it at least an hour.

You should be able to find a load of reviews at http://www.gamefaqs.com

Should give you about half a year of good gameplay - raising chocobos, killing weapons, levelling all Materia to Master etc.

I could appreciate why some wouldn't enjoy it though - the usual Final Fantasy traits are there, random battles and linear gameplay.

Comment

Incidentally did anyone out there ever get the Master Materia without going through the Weapon/Kalm route? I spent ages building all my materia to master, touched the Huge Materias and nothing happened.

Comment

I play through it every 2 years. It's always like reading a good book again and again and again.

Comment

Interesting, looks like I'll have to set a saturday aside to give it a go as I struggle to find any time to play games.

Due to my lack of time I don't see the point in buying all the latest games so I'm hoping to pick up some older classics on the cheap and this seemed like a good place to start.

Now the only question is should I start playing this game before or after I go on holiday

Comment

Originally posted by dgnr7982
                  Interesting, looks like I'll have to set a saturday aside to give it a go as I struggle to find any time to play games.

Due to my lack of time I don't see the point in buying all the latest games so I'm hoping to pick up some older classics on the cheap and this seemed like a good place to start.

Now the only question is should I start playing this game before or after I go on holiday
                  before - then buy one of those lcd screen and play it during (like I did...that's the sad person I am!)

Comment

lol I can't see my doing that in Barbados especially if I want to get a yes when I pop the big question

Comment

FF7 is one of my favourite games - I was truly touched by it and after it finished I was stunned for days!

Comment

Best game ever......

Simple as that.

Loved every minute of it. The story draws you in so much that you can't tear yourself away from it until you reach the end. No other game has done that to me. The characters have personality that you can releate to. You actually care what happens to them.

Originally posted by spoiler
                        The end of disc one, with the death of Aeris, the reactions of the main characters and the indifference of Sephiroth concerning what he has just done, coupled with the music is one of the most emotional moments you will every come across in a game. Many people I know were pushed to the brink of tears the first time that they came to this part of the game. Can you think of another game that can do that to a person? I certainly can't.
                        The game itself is huge. I have spent well over 100 hours playing through, mastering the materia, breeding chocobos, collecting every character's ultimate weapon and final Limit Break, and defeating all of the Weapons, and I still havent done everything yet.

For a fiver you can't go wrong, especially with such a classic game.

Final Fantasy VII is a game that everyone should have played through at least once. Trust me, it will change the way you look at RPGs forever.

Comment

Final Fantasy 7 is indeed a class RPG (the second best final fantasy) but doesn't come close to touching my personal faves:
                          Xenogears(What a story!)
                          Final Fantasy 6(Felt that it had more slightly emotion than 7, preffered the music)
                          Chrono Trigger(Squaresoft at there best)
                          Final Fantasy Tactics(Squaresoft at there best)

Comment

FFVII is my favourite game of all time. Cos when I played it in '97 it totally changed my perception of what videogames could be.

Finished it for the second time 8 months back and it still had the magic. Defeating Ruby and Emerald weapons was an awesome experience. I wish I play through it not knowing what will happen. It's one of those love/hate games if you love it, it'll be the best ?5 you'll ever spend.

Nice to see the 'making of' in Edge. First time I noticed Aeris being referred to as 'Aerith'.

Comment

Everyone quite liked it then

The shop also have FF6 but I had heard so much about 7 I just got that one.

The last story based game I played was Shenmue - at the end of that I felt like I had watched a great film and wanted to see the sequel.

Hoping for something similar here - I may have to put off playing it till after my holiday (about 7 weeks from now) as I have such limited time - I just hope I enjoy it as much as everyone else did.

RPG's have never appealed to me but with such hype and praise and the fact I can easily get my ?5 back if I sell it can't really go wrong.

Comment

Working...
                              X