Megadrive/Genesis Appreciation Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Duddyroar
    The MD even got an incredible version of Street Fighter II (eventually).
    Only if you turned the sound off - the speech in the MD version makes me shudder.

Comment

ah that we did

i present to you the heavenly power of the super famicom may it force its sword down upon your demon console and cast it back into the endless depths of hell!

*cough* i think i went off topic a bit there, anyway what was i going to say oh yes it probably down to a taste thing really, i played revenge of shinobi and streets of rage 2 this year and i wasn't at all impressed, that saying these were games that imressed me back in the day. I also feel that the MD's limited colours haven't done the games much good when playing them today. Although i understand it is probably more of a nostalgia thing, if i owned one properly back in the day maybe i'll enjoy it more. That being said i find that most games pre snes to be horrible to play even the classics. You never know i might once again purchase a MD but i probably won't mange to buy more than 10 games worth playing today.

But a mint MD1 and MCD1 combo is very satisfying to look at i give the console that.

Comment

Bought myself a JP Mega Drive recently and it should be here at the end of the week. Really looking forward to it.

Normally, I'd agree with muse hunter's opinion (SFC>>>>MD), but after playing some of the games on a mate's Xbox a while ago...no way, it's not that clear-cut. For platformers and RPGs, yep the SFC rules supreme, but for arcade-style games, the MD kicks the **** out it.

Comment

anagrama the MegaDrive.

The SNES can't touch it as far as fast-paced action games go. Which, to me at least, are infinitely preferable to 40 hour+ RPGs.
          And, strap on a Master System convertor, and there's another 300ish games playable without having to find room for another console under the telly

Comment

Nobody ever mentions it but Ghostbusters was an early MD game that blew me away. Brilliant colourful graphics, good music that didn't sound like it'd been put through a grinder and a really good platformer to boot.

Anyone who never tried it owes it to themselves to have a go.

Comment

The SNK snaplocks came well after the days of the MD. Compare the cheap and horrible original NeoGeo cases to the MD ones (a better and more fair comparison) - the MD cases are far better.
              As much as i love the MD cases aside, I prefer the original AES cases to snaplocks. The Sunsoft cases are cool but IMO are a bit of a blight on a Megadrive collection....unless one has all of them of course heh.

Comment

i played revenge of shinobi and streets of rage 2 this year and i wasn't at all impressed, that saying these were games that imressed me back in the day
                I honestly think you need to take off the rose-tinted specs mate, most SNES games look like ****e today too. If you take the very best MD games and the very best SNES games and there's nothing between them graphically.

The way you're talking you make it sound like the SNES was Silicon Graphics-standard and the MD was a speccy. Arf!

Comment

As much as i love the MD cases aside, I prefer the original AES cases to snaplocks
                  The original SNK cases were prone to cracking though. It didn't take much to break them.

MD cases are well sturdy, so long as the plastic cover doesn't come away or get damaged.

Comment

The SNK snaplocks came well after the days of the MD. Compare the cheap and horrible original NeoGeo cases to the MD ones (a better and more fair comparison) - the MD cases are far better.
                    What original case? i have never seen one of those in my life i don't do SNK pre 95

Yeah i know, of course i'm not going to say that all snes output is great or that no games have aged (starwing has aged horribly), i do recognise that 95% of games on the console are complete **** that goes with every console past and present. But i just have more love for the snes classics than those on the MD that people see as classics, but thats just my own opinion. In the end though people's tastes and opinions differ thus others will have more love for the MD, give me the colourful yoshi's island over gunstar heroes anyday but it will be vise versa for others and i understand that.

I'm not saying snes is king md sucks (well maybe i am if only slightly but its all down to opinion), people should enjoy classic retro games regardless of the consoles as these are the games that helped inspire and give us the modern day videogames. But however if this thread was like that then it will be boring, a thread like this needs a good MD v snes flaming warr if only to get passion and interst going, watch while people defend the honour of their favourite 16 bit console. So duddyroar we shall call a truce for now, but the war isn't over, watch oneday when another MD thread turns its ugly head i shall be there to gatecrash the love, ready for battle. May the more honourable console win.

Comment

Originally posted by Baseley09
                      The Sunsoft cases are cool but IMO are a bit of a blight on a Megadrive collection....unless one has all of them of course heh.
                      Well there's only 7!

Comment

Muse - Agreed. A truce it is then.

Don't get me wrong, I love the SNES as well but if I had to pick one console to keep, the MD would win hands-down. But as you say, that's only because I have happy memories of the machine. It's all down to personal taste.

But you don't do SNK pre-95? You're missing out on some classics there, mate.

Comment

I don't actually own a Mega Drive/Genesis, but I do have a copy of Ristar. Very, very likeable game, and I thought I should own it since I play it so much on emulators.

Comment

But you don't do SNK pre-95? You're missing out on some classics there, mate.
                            there are some classics pre 95, but for me snk didn't come into their own until 95 onwards. Also its also down to aesthetics really, games made in 95 onwards saw the excellent snap lock cases while before there was those horrible cases with cheap easily breakable plastic intray (oh no! i remembered!), also cover artwork improved considerably 95 onwards.

Comment

To me, all the early SNK stuff holds very happy memories. Fatal Fury 2, Soccer Brawl, Samurai Showdown/Spirits 1 & 2, Art of Fighting, Magican Lord, Top Hunter, 2020 Baseball, NAM 1975...all of these games stole plenty of of my pocket money back in the day.

When I bought an AES a few years back it was these games I picked up as opposed to the more recent stuff - price was a factor as the oldies can be gotten for next to nothing, but there's also the fact that most of the really decent Neo stuff from 1995 onwards had conversions to other consoles.

Comment

I used to go into the Co Op to the electronics bit upstairs to play Sonic before I got my MD. I think one of the reasons my parents caved in was because they were sick of me nagging to go into town so I could go and play Sonic!

I think the first game I played that really blew me away was Castle of Illusion; absolutely gorgeous graphics and a real classic platformer. Then came Gunstar Heroes, the Streets of Rage/Road Rash/Thunderforce games, Marble Madness and so many other classics. Ahh.

Comment

Working...
                                X