Megadrive/Genesis Appreciation Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was looking about getting a neo geo system
    Seems ridiculous to me the home version carts are far more expensive than the arcade versions.Was lookin to get real bout fatal fury 2 around $40 for the mvs $120+ for the aes

Anyway back on topic
    Did megadrive carts later on use region chipping?

Comment

Originally posted by nekroxide
      I think the first game I played that really blew me away was Castle of Illusion; absolutely gorgeous graphics and a real classic platformer.
      Oh yes. Talk about capturing the Disney magic, & then some - just a beautiful
      experience playing through CoI from start to finish. Lush graphics, responsive controls, well thought out terrain. Ok, it might have been to easy, but I remember finishing it then immediately starting again.

Great stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by muse hunter
        there are some classics pre 95, but for me snk didn't come into their own until 95 onwards. Also its also down to aesthetics really, games made in 95 onwards saw the excellent snap lock cases while before there was those horrible cases with cheap easily breakable plastic intray (oh no! i remembered!), also cover artwork improved considerably 95 onwards.
        But the snaplocks scuff the back of the cartridges to **** thanks to the SNK logo. Plus the damn things are full of holes that the insert "sinks" into... More trouble than they're worth if you ask me.

Windjammers
        Samurai Spirits II
        Viewpoint
        Last Resort
        Baseball Stars 2

Are just a few of the great Pre-'95 games. And they might be good, but there's not much variety with '95-on games - 90% of them are Metal Slugs or fighting games. Plus most of them are hideously expensive...

Anyway, back on topic.

What are the recommended shooters on the MD?

I already have Gaiares & Panorama Cotton (think I probably made a mistake buying this..) in place for my system arriving.

Comment

I was amazed by world of illusion the graphics were just so good

shooters
          thunder force 4
          gynoug
          hellfire

platform shooters
          Ranger x
          gunstar heroes

Comment

Originally posted by Kubrick
            Hellfire & Zero Wing are both Soopah Doopah - Contra Hard Corps is supposedly excellent too, but costs a pretty penny these days.

I got love for some Thunderforce action as well...

Comment

Originally posted by Geoff D
              Oh yes. Talk about capturing the Disney magic, & then some - just a beautiful
              experience playing through CoI from start to finish. Lush graphics, responsive controls, well thought out terrain. Ok, it might have been to easy, but I remember finishing it then immediately starting again.

Great stuff.
              Don't forget Quackshot too That was another platform classic in its own right.

Comment

Originally posted by Kubrick

I already have Gaiares & Panorama Cotton (think I probably made a mistake buying this..) in place for my system arriving.
                Eh, how so? PC is a fab game

As for shooters, well

Slap Fight and Eliminate Down are awesome if you can stomach the price tag.
                Gynoug, Hellfire, Thunderforces, Space Harrier, Gleylancer, Battlemania are wortha punt, Curse, Dangerous Seed, Darius 2, Axis, Granada, Ku-uga, Kyukyoku Tiger, Musha Aleste, Phelios (well I like it), Raiden, Super Fantasy Zone, Tatsujin, Twinkle Tale (looks very nice), Gomora, VV and of course Zero Wing (if only for a classic opening sequence)

Platformy shooter - Alien Solider, Contra (Probotector in the UK), Gain Ground (I fecking love this, better on pce though), Gunstar Heroes (the must own game) Midnight Resistance, Rolling Thunder 2 (more fun that you could imagine it would be). And Alicia Dragoon rocks too. As does Arcus Odyssey. So many great games

Edit And of course if you like crappy hentai unofficial crap get Divine sealing and Magic Girl. Actually Magic Girl is kinda ok tbh, very choopy animation and very tough, but kinda likeable.
                Last edited by wheelaa; 26-09-2005, 15:24.

Comment

Originally posted by easty
                  Did megadrive carts later on use region chipping?
                  Yeah, most of the Sega games from Streets of Rage 2 onwards had region lock out Also all the Konami ones had it, too.

Comment

anyone got a link to a list of chipped games?

Comment

Originally posted by lurch996
                      anyone got a link to a list of chipped games?
                      I'm assuming you mean region-locked games.

Most (but not all) 1st party games released after mid-'93 are region-locked. The ones that aren't are generally those not developed by Sega (Sonic 3D & the Classic Collection comp spring to mind).

3rd Party stuff is a lot more hit & miss - all Konami & Virgin games are region-locked, while EA, Accolade & US Gold are always universal.

Best solution is to double-switch your MegaDrive/Genesis so it can play any game from any region - it's a dead easy mod, just requires cutting a couple of traces and soldering wires onto nice big jumper pads. A quick Google search should bring up detailed instructions.
                      Alternatively you could get hold of one of the convertor carts that has dip-switches to select between each region. These should play everything, but you'll be stuck in 50Hz if you're using it on a PAL system.

Comment

Originally posted by wheelaa
                        Eh, how so?
                        I never realised it was a 3D shooter untill after the fact.

Cheers for the recommendations people. Now I just need to sell my other kidney to get some of them...

Geoff D, Contra: The Hard Corps is most definitely excellent. Bloody stunning in fact and even better than the SFC game, IMO.

Comment

I see. Well don't let that put you off. Its a graphical tour de force on the md, great fun, great game, although perhaps a little disorientating until you have a few mins playtime. Now you just need the teacup

Comment

With my having a Genesis, I was wondering at which point JP or Pal Megadrive games became incompatible with the Genesis, I know that most games will run on it, but will stuff like Pal Dynamite Headdy work on the US machine?
                            Also does anyone have a link to a list of incompatible games they could post?

Comment

Originally posted by Duddyroar
                              The SNES couldn't compete with the MD when it came to games like Gunstar Heroes, Streets of Rage 2 and Shinobi - and let's not even get onto the subject of shooters. Area 88 aside, the SNES was really lacking in this area, whereas the MD had brilliant shooters to spare. The laughable level of slowdown in some SNES shooters gives the impression that the machine is totally broken!
                              Don't forget Super Aleste (no slowdown at all), Axelay, Macross, R-Type 3, Pop'n Twin Bee, Cotton 100%, Super EDF or the Parodius series. Even though the Snes wasn't fit for the genre, there's still much fun to be had.

Comment

Funny how people still use the term 'chip-locking' in reference to the MegaDrives region protection.. it was the common term used back in the day, so we use the term out of habbit, but is actually a complete misconception.
                                There's no 'chip' in the cart controlling the region as such... it's as simple as the game itself checking if the machine is set to English or Japanese language mode, and even checking if it's set to 50 or 60Hz on some later games. It's pure game data doing this.

Most people know this, yet still end up using the term 'chip-locking' anyway! Just one of those things we got used to back in the day, because we all assumed there was some nasty evil region chip in our carts.

Comment

Working...
                                X