Darius

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by moonwhistle

Darius >>> Gradius / Parodius / Salamander etc...
    Sorry, but whilst the Darius games had those big biomechanical space fish, the Gradius/Parodius/Salamander games had Easter Island heads in 'em.
    Gameplay aside, (and they all played great as far as I'm concerned) anything with Moai in it (and giant floating brains) is the best thing ever.
    So there.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperDanX
      whats wrong with the gba game?
      If you dont want it, i'll take it off your hands mate.
      Heh no way do I have it, i thought the sprites were far too big for the screen, was too dodgy to play. Other than that it's just the original Darius, but....big :/

Comment

Originally posted by Baseley09
        IMO PC Engine is the home.
        Agreed. Plus is good, Alpha is teh shizzle..oh my god another boss, lovely

Comment

G Darius is an odd one, horrible looking in parts due to the polygonal graphics but has some incredible boos fights. I've not played it a while, but I remember finding it pretty enjoyable. It's all about the bosses really, the levels themselves are pretty redundant.
          G-Darius is the only one I've played and I more or less agree with your comments. The Alpha/Beta/Counter Beam malarkey was so much fun the the Boss fights. I liked it so much I wrote a GameFaqs review http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/psx/review/R31983.html

I think part of the reason why Darius games are so loveable are the excellent musical scores which add alot to the feel of them. Zunata do some good ****. They also have just the right level of simplicity, with you not having to worry about picking the right weapon like the ugly madness that is Thunderforce V. You can just concentrate on dodging attacks and finding those precious power ups. The fish theme is definately an odd one but I like it. The backgrounds vary but in parts they are truly excellent, particularly the more organic variants.
          The Zuntata tracks were good but nothing really stood out in my mind in G Darius. The same cannot be said of TechnoSofts musicians, I can still hum the tunes of Thunderforce II on the MD. There's a track on TFV called 'Metallic Cave' which is pretty cool.

I found TFV: Perfect System to be pretty well thought out with regards to weapon system, the only snag is that it made the game too easy IMHO.

Oh and as a passing shot, screw all you Konami Fans, they're a fine company but their traditional shooters are muck.
          Darius >>> Gradius / Parodius / Salamander etc...
          I was itching for a shmup recently and I bought Gradius V, after a few days I was bored and sold it off. The level design is nice and the bosses are imaginitive but the power up system just lacked something. I prefer something like Raiden, Batsugun, Battle Garegga etc where you can progressive power up your lasers to an exhilerating degree.
          I think Treasure added their own spin in that the player has to make use of the sheild much, much more compared to the other Gradius games. But it still made the whole thing a bit boring IMHO.

Comment

Gradius V... boring?

Comment

Just wanted to say that i got hold of Darius r, on the gba and its pretty good once you get past the frustrating first level. Like to hear some (more) views on Darius twin on the sfc/snes, is it worth getting? I remember Super play or somewhere given it a pretty mediocre review when it came out, but that was in the day when new horizontal shooters were coming out almost every week (happy days:-))

Comment

Darius Twin is pretty average. In fact I've always found the Darius series to be a bit...well, boring.

Comment

I see, i quite like it really, whilst not up to the standards of the r-types and graidus's of this world the ones ive played (g-darius and darius r) ive enjoyed.

Comment

Best versions on pce..but if you've read the thread already you'll know that

Comment

I don't see a lot of people mentioning Darius Force on the SFC, which is a better game than Twin in my view, but both are worth getting.

Darius II, isn't bad on the Saturn but the problem with it is it doesn't have the arcade's 3 screens! So you can only really play it on a widescreen telly.

Gaiden is top stuff!

Comment

Gaiden is great for sure, but up till now there's been no home version with saveable high scores. Here's hoping the rom on Taito Legends 2 makes it out intact.

Comment

Some kind of Darius collection would be nice, but I doubt the brand has the pulling power anymore.

Comment

I always thought Darius Twin on the SFC was a dull as dead bulb. Quite like Darius Gaiden on the Saturn though. What ever you do don't touch the PSX version ported by interbec (BEC). It's a f*cking disgrace !! G. Darius on the PSX is pretty smart though. The best version of Darius II has to be the Saturn version with it's zooming feature to allow the "Full 3 screens" to be squeezed on to one. You really need a big wide screen though for this mode.

Yakumo

Comment

The music is Darius Gaiden is out of this world, often listen to the space opera on mp3

I hear Super Darius II on PCE CD has good music too, should get it really:/
                              Last edited by Baseley09; 21-01-2006, 01:17.

Comment

Originally posted by Baseley09
                                The music is Darius Gaiden is out of this world, often listen to teh spave opera on mp3
                                Bizarely i got the Darius Gaiden OST today, I'll have to give it a listen soon.

Comment

Working...
                                X