'Collecting' - The Great Debate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'Collecting' - The Great Debate

Seeing as this debate was close to de-railing our evergreen 'retro buys' topic, I thought it best to start up a new thread.
    Last edited by Duddyroar; 08-11-2005, 12:24.

Can't you extract the relevant previous posts and paste them at the top here, so that it gives a bit of context, otherwise it's going to be a somewhat strange start to a thread? Anyway ...

So why videogames?

These folk are just in it for the money, if you ask me. Fair enough, I say. As long as they're not under some deluded opinion that its for some other reason beyond that.
    The only reason that you think that they are only in it for the money is because that is the only thing that you can see in it. The truth is far scarier than that - most of these people are in it merely because they get real satisfaction out of just getting these things. The ones who are interested in it from the money angle are the dealers who realise the amount that these people will pay for things like this, and hop in to source and provide the goods.

The collectors will mostly not give a fig about how much they can sell the whole lot for, unless they get bored one day and decide to sell up.

Tirian

Comment

Sorry no, I can only move and merge entire threads. Well, at least I think that's all I can do.

Comment

Personaly speaking i only collect games because i dont have the time to play anymore, if i did have the time id much prefer to be playing them, there collected for some time in the future when i can play them,(probably when i retire at this rate) collecting for me is just the next best thing a way of being involved, i take the pleasure from owning the games and knowing one day i'll get to play them. Im not anal about my collecting they dont have to be mega mint etc but i dont judge other people who do, i can see the point of view 99% of the time,the only thing i dont understand is keeping sealed games sealed.

Comment

Originally posted by Tirian
          The only reason that you think that they are only in it for the money is because that is the only thing that you can see in it. The truth is far scarier than that - most of these people are in it merely because they get real satisfaction out of just getting these things.
          That is scary. I can understand that (the hunt, the next big thing... many an eBay auction, missing parcels...) but surely it's even better to take that thing and enjoy it to its full potential rather than lust after the next thing?

Still, could be anything so... why videogames? (no smiley this time ).

I know of people who are under the assumption there collection is of some worth or expects to grow in value. Like I say, it's ALL about the money or rather the perceived value of something. All collectors I know are like this, no matter how much they deny it.

Comment

Re: Sealed Games

Personally, I see nothing wrong with someone wanting to own a 2nd factory-sealed copy of a game that's special to them, or one that's percieved to be "cool" in factory-sealed guise - ie: Radiant Silvergun.

However, buying sealed games just because they're sealed and never playing them. That, I don't really understand. Even something like a sealed complete NGCD collection seems like a waste of space to me.

Comment

Collecting is fine. Hoarding is another issue entirely.

Comment

Personally, I see nothing wrong with someone wanting to own a 2nd factory-sealed copy of a game that's special to them, or one that's percieved to be "cool" in factory-sealed guise - ie: Radiant Silvergun
                I do! It's robbing someone else of the chance to play the game! You're effectively 'sitting' on a copy of a rare title just to gain some profit at a later date...while there's nothing wrong with making a bit of money for yourself, it strikes me as a rather greedy.

Comment

Most of the stuff I collect for the C64 and Vic20 I also look to backup and preserve, especially when it is a title that hasn't been done at that moment. Digital archiving if you want to call it.

However when it comes to my ongoing US Gamecube collection (215 and rising) then it's for the fun of it. Especially when a lot of titles I can get for 10 quid or less. And with the switch to DVD style cases, far more likely to come across complete and in good condition (something which hampers getting certain SNES/N64 titles I want).
                  Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

You're effectively 'sitting' on a copy of a rare title just to gain some profit at a later date...
                    Well, I wasn't really talking about rare games as such. I've got factory-sealed copies of Rez (PS2) and F355 (DC) and they're worth ****-all, and never will be.

I just like the games that much, I wanted to have a "perfect" copy of them

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Marklar
                      That is scary. I can understand that (the hunt, the next big thing... many an eBay auction, missing parcels...) but surely it's even better to take that thing and enjoy it to its full potential rather than lust after the next thing?

Still, could be anything so... why videogames? (no smiley this time ).

I know of people who are under the assumption there collection is of some worth or expects to grow in value. Like I say, it's ALL about the money or rather the perceived value of something. All collectors I know are like this, no matter how much they deny it.

i dont think i fall into the catagory of collecters youre refering to, and i dont doubt that they exist, but i dont care about the money, hand on heart. I cant afford to spend a lot of money on games so my collection though large ish aint worth much (but priceless to me), i enjoy owning rare games, but rare dosnt always= great value.
                      Last edited by SuperDanX; 08-11-2005, 13:03.

Comment

Kubrick - But honestly, when will you ever have need for another copy of F355? I honest don't see the appeal. If I see a sealed game, I have the urge to open it and look inside. I'd make a terrible collector.

Comment

Well, I already know what's inside and what it looks like because it's not my only copy.

Comment

sealed games have no point of existance

I love it when people get a new haul and its all spinecarded up lol - that just gets me right there for some reason.I've always found spinecards funny, its like some people wont play or buy a game unless the shield of card is protecting its virginity.

I'm a gamer, not a wacked out japaniphan, in fact the whole japan gamer stereotype I find quite dull, theres far too many of them.

22 pal snes / 22 pal gc / in fact since cutting down on homecarts I hardly have any japanese games left, apart from a few mvs titles and band brothers.

I can understand why people want minty games etc , but some people take it too far, and probably never play them anyway.

its your money though not mine, so enjoy! heh

Comment

I just don't know in what esteem i hold collectors, I'm not sure there's respect, it's really a field away from *videogaming*.

I like Valis games, I have them all on PC Engine bar Visual Collection. They are the most budget un mint versions going, i wanna play em & hear the music, not oggle at them.

Comment

Working...
                              X