'Collecting' - The Great Debate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by moonwhistle
    Don't get me wrong I do look after stuff, I'm just saying that for games that I play regularly I prefer not to have to bother about being really careful with them. It seems to detract from the business of actually playing. Most games are easy to look after, but new Neo Geo cartridges are a nightmare, they pick up finger prints which are hard to remove and they get scuffs just from sticking them in the slot. They were sadistically designed by SNK to be most delicate (superficially speaking) of any game format I know. Hell even the SNK logo on the inside of the box is out to get them.

I'd just say that given the choice of an expensive mint version of a given title, or a tatty characterful version at a cheap price I'd pick the cheap one every time.
    With NeoGeo games, I'm not particularly fussed about the cartridge too much. As long as it's not been horribly defaced, I don't mind about logo scuffs and insertion marks. I worry more about faded spines or whether the game has a manual. Infact, I was quite shocked to see how anal people were about cart conditions when I first got into it.

I'll line the snaplock with some bubblewrap to avoid logo scuffs, but that's where I draw the line. The games are there to be played after all and I don't need to think twice about playing any of mine, even the expensive ones. I'll also leave them lying in the slot for weeks gathering dust and not think twice about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Duddyroar
      I think I'll just dive in this thread at this point. Campbells generalisations smack of a man who thinks he's entitled to get what he wants with a minimum effort for next to nothing. Not only that but jealousy and the politics of envy.

I've got as good a games collection as anyone (Because it makes me happy) but all my friends are welcome to come and play them, borrow them and generally enjoy. If I meet any of you guys in person then I'll throw the same offer open and I've bet you've all done the same.

I really can't understand what his beef is, I don't know anyone (with MAYBE one exception but thats open to debate) but then throwing accusations with bugger all evidence to back them up is the norm with him.

The saddest thing about the man is that he's a bigger publicity whore than Princess Di ever was, but talking on forums with fanboys and kids is his level.

When shoved on the radio to discuss his lower prices for games campaign he performed the best rabbit in headlight impression ever heard turning up with no evidence, facts or even a reasoned arguament, the guy from Elspa was there for the taking but Campbells performance was so lackluster the guy got off the hook.

Sadly like so many, rather than blameing those who produced games with such a low run he blames those who want to own them...

If you love sealed games then good for you. Personally I buy C64 and atari games for the boxes and I buy magazines for the reviews, photos and nostalga. I've spent a fortune on both and enjoyed the nostalgia rush, the artwork and the pop culture qualities of those titles involved. I but psone games because I want to play them, I buy Xbox titles for the same and Saturn games as I just want to ammass all those games I couldn't afford at the time.

Basically it's up the individual, if by collecting I've annoyed Campbell then when I got to meet my maker I can look them in the eye and justify my lifeon that solitary basis.

I had a lot of fun buying them, met some fantastic people some of whom I'm lucky enough to call friends and generally had a bloody good time trading, swapig, buying, selling and going to meetups.
      Socalising, that little ****er should try it some time.

Comment

Working...
      X