Site Update: PC Review Section

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Site Update: PC Review Section

"We at NTSC-uk have been playing a fair few PC games, so we thought we might as well review them" .....

The above statement is the unofficial line for the new section, which we have just launched. It's a wee bit tongue in cheek, but there is also more than a little shred of truth within the statement.

A few weeks ago, we informed you (within a thread in Comments and Suggestions) that we have certain goals that we wish to attain. One of these goals is to cover games regardless of territory, platform or genre. Today, we are happy to announce that we have taken another step towards this goal.

PC gaming has been a sore point for us since we launched the site. We did cover PC games originally, but the feeling was that we couldn't give the games the coverage they required, and so PC gaming was banished to a sub-forum on our site. In hindsight, this decision was the wrong one to make, in not covering the PC games market we have missed out on reviewing some of the biggest games of the last 5 years. We cannot take back this mistake (we will cover some of the titles we have missed retrospectively, but not review them as such) but we can promise that we won't miss any big titles for any platform from this moment onwards (dependant on our writing staff owning the appropriate hardware).

We hope you appreciate the steps we have taken with this new section - it may seem to a few that we are heading away from our import roots, but the truth of the matter is that we have evolved beyond our original mission statement, as indeed has the market and gaming industry.

We appreciate any feedback within this thread about the new section, but we will not be drawn into debates about why we have launched it, nor will we explain ourselves over and over again. Our stock response shall be the sentence at the top of this post.

Thank you for your time, and we hope that you enjoy the new section as much as we enjoyed putting the reviews together.
    Last edited by MartyG; 12-11-2005, 12:14.

Good luck with the new section, so far so good, Id like to see things like mods covered also for example Lost Coast from HL2.

Does this mean that you are likely to incorporate PC Hardware as well within the Trade forum? It would make sense too IMO.

Id like to add that I dont feel it was a 'mistake' as such for not covering PC gaming in the past, back then we didnt want to do things by halves and as with the retro section which was also axed, it was felt the best way forward at that time was to focus our efforts on our strengths and what we were good at, than offer a minimal and unsubstantial service that was more suited to core PC and retro sites.

Comment

PC hardware will not be allowed in the trading forum at the moment.

Comment

About damn time! Is NTSC-uk going to focus on imports and the like too, maybe even home brew from the Far East, etc... ? More stuff like the shooter article, for example. How about video game hacks, covering console hookups and other bizarre stuff like the VT-Child driver for Steel Battalion?

We must be told!

(or well, I must... looks like nobody else cares )

Comment

In our strive towards covering games without prejudice towards region, format or genre we will endeavour to cover PC games from all territories. We will also try to continue to cover homebrew software (if we had a PC section when the homebrew features went online they would have been treated as being reviews).

Covering hacks, bizarre setups etc will be dependant on the writing team - if a writer wants to write about such things then we will be more than happy for them to do so.

Speaking of which, we are always on the look-out for new writers, anyone interested in reviewing games for any platform should contact either myself or charlesr with a sample review (400-500 words).
          Last edited by John Beaulieu; 13-11-2005, 01:14.

Comment

It's a bold move. I look forward to watching how things develop over the coming months. I'm sure the staff will enjoy the additional freedom

Comment

Excellent excellent news.

Comment

I'm not keen on the whole PC review thing. Yeah fair enough you want the site to grow but the reason I starting visiting the site is because I'm primarily a console gamer interested in things I may not find on the shelves of my local GAME. For every PC game you review you could be reviewing some obscure Japanese title I've never heard of, with the PC game getting coverage on a 1001 sites online. It's no biggie, I just don't have to read them, but I feel it's taking focus away from what the site is about. Plus I hate it when PC games are refered to as 'PAL' or 'NTSC'

Comment

Superb!

I love my consoles but recently my PC has really started to hold its own with some superb releases, cant wait to read some reviews on the new stuff

Comment

Plus I hate it when PC games are refered to as 'PAL' or 'NTSC'
                    within the review box-out they are referred to as version:Europe - we are looking at changing the front-end to remove the PAL/NTSC reference

Comment

Makes sense seeing as a lot of people in this upcoming generation won't be playing in anything close to PAL or NTSC anymore anyway.

It's a pet peeve of mine to see PC or handheld games referred to as "PAL" or "NTSC" too, it sorts of looks like people are using technical terms they don't understand for the hell of it.

Comment

Originally posted by MonkeyWrench
                        I hate it when PC games are refered to as 'PAL' or 'NTSC'
                        Originally posted by lyris
                        It's a pet peeve of mine to see PC or handheld games referred to as "PAL" or "NTSC"
                        It was on the to-do list. Changed to EUR for now.

Comment

Working...
                        X