2 minor Qs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 minor Qs

1 - Are you going to change the 'import videogame reviews and advice' title of the site in line with the new direction?

2 - Any chance of changing Writers Bloc to Commentaries to reflect the homepage?

Ta

The above would seem to make sense given the site's new direction as a 'general games' site. Or is there still a slant on importing. It's not really clear from the recent announcements.

Comment

I agree, Im a little confused I must admit. The statement about covering games without prejudice of region format or genre is at odds IMO with a rather specific sitename and title as mentioned above.

I can understand the desire to move away from formats which is long overdue, and genre shouldnt really come into it anyways, but to my mind region of games is an important consideration as it was (and is) one of the charecteristics of the site that gave the site its individuality when, I guess you could say it was more niche/import orientated.

I dont expect the site to be dropping coverage of more niche import titles in favour of more mainstream, localized ones (at least I hope thats not going to be the case) but feel the direction of the site is a little unclear at present.
      Whatever it may be, its important to make this clear to your visitors, as its never safe to assume people will know naturally without it being there in black and white.

PS please, please change Writers Bloc to simply Commentaries, it sounds far more inviting and accessible to me!
      Last edited by marcus; 15-11-2005, 18:30.

Comment

Thanks for the comments. Always welcome. They are being discussed. Please hang on for a reply (not everyone is about at the moment).

Comment

Title:
          As suggested, we will be changing the title to "Gaming Reviews and Import Advice", since we aim to review any game that any of the staff have been playing, regardless of format, whilst giving people the best advice available on how to import games.

The top of the "About Us" page will be updated accordingly.

However this from the statement of intent is still valid and will remain until this belief changes:

"- We are first and foremost an import site because we believe importing provides a wider choice and better quality to gamers. We are keen to spread the word about importing and non-importers are welcome. We are happy to provide advice on any aspect of importing, no matter how small the query. "

Our writers play a variety of games from all regions and formats, as do most of our readers. If a writer spends 20 hours playing a great PC game but then cannot review it, some of the readers are missing out, so we will be reviewing whatever we play. Even if only a few people benefit from it, then we are happy. In the same way, we are happy if even 1 person has benefitted from one of our translation features.

Due to our belief as quoted above, the same amount of US and Japanese videogames will still be reviewed - think of PC reviews not as taking up room, and instead as an added bonus.

As stated in John's post, this isn't up for debate, but I hope the title and About Us tweaks (and my above comments) will clarify our intent.

Writers' Bloc:
          Having discussed a number of options based on your comments, we have decided not to make any changes at this time. However, it has been noted that movement in this particular forum is slow, so we hope to be putting incentives in place for more readers to post new threads. The idea behind this has not been finalised yet, so please bear with us.

Lastly, review updates have been a bit slow of late since I have been spending most of my spare time on a change to the Features section to make it more useable (in response to a reader suggestion a while ago). Once that has been implemented, normal service will be resumed. Therefore, we have a large number of reviews and features in the pipeline including:

Langrisser Retrospective
          Burnout Legends
          Liberty City Stories
          Raiden III
          Kirby Canvas Curse
          Classic Game Series: R-TYPE
          Remote Control Dandy SF
          Stubbs the Zombie:Rebel Without a Pulse
          Serious Sam II
          Kagero Dark Illusion
          Murasame's Mysterious Castle (Nazo no Murasamejou) for Famicom Mini
          Dreamweb
          A Jason Newton feature

Comment

Charles forgot to mention that we're aiming to cover a number of Xbox360 reviews and features such as a hardware write up, backwards compatibility, Xbox Live Arcade and a number of games reviews. Plus a lot of other content we have on the cards.

The next month or so will hopefully prove to be an interesting one.

Comment

Thanks for the clarification. I'm sure I wasn't alone in being a little confused before.

Comment

There has been no changes in regards to this site covering import titles, we continue and will continue to review import games, whether they be the bigger titles or the more obscure games which our writers pick up.

The 'change in direction' is that this site will no longer discriminate against any game being reviewed for it - if a writer wishes to review a game then they are more than welcome to, regardless of whether it is a domestic or imported title, whether it is on a console, pc, mac, mobile-phone or even a web-based title, our aim is to accomodate the full spectrum of gaming, not focus on a particular niche aspect of it. We are not leaving behind our 'import' roots, rather we are broadening our horizons, heading into new pastures whilst still retaining what we know and love.

Comment

Working...
                X