Clear All

Peter Jackson's King Kong

Boxart

Release Dates
    US - 22nd November 2005
    Japan - TBC
    Europe - TBC

Synopsis
    Acclaimed game creator Michel Ancel and the Montpellier studio collaborate with triple Academy Award winning filmmaker Peter Jackson and visual-effects company Weta Ltd. to develop Peter Jackson’s King Kong, a video game that will capture the imagination, vision and emotion of the epic film. Delve deeper into the film experience through alternative viewpoints designed to immerse the player into the action and truly “feel” the tension of the adventure.

Key Features
    • Unprecedented Alternating Gameplay: Battle for survival on Skull Island in first-person as Jack Driscoll AND experience the staggering power of King Kong in third-person taking on massive beasts
    • Cinematic Quality: By integrating Weta assets directly into the game engine, and taking a true cinematic approach, from both a visual and audio perspective, players are thrust directly onto the Skull Island where the dark jungles, over-sized environment and lurking danger become reality
    • Cooperate with Your Expedition Team: Each team member plays a crucial role and complements each other with valuable skills and abilities. The player relies on them and vice-versa to succeed. The unique resource management system keeps the action seamless and plausible while keeping items, weapons and assets
    • The Power of King Kong: King Kong is one of the most powerful of all the creatures on Skull Island and players will learn first-hand what it means to be feared, respected and dominant. Kong will use both his agility and his raw, brute strength by any means necessary to battle enemies and navigate though the perils of Skull Island
    • Experience All Key Movie Moments and More: Journey through the explosive action of all the key movie moments, as Jack and Kong, and even explore the beautifully-rendered mysterious jungle environments not seen in the film
    • Engage in Climactic Battles: Intense and unbelievable battles with all creatures featured in the film challenge players’ nerves and skills in fighting the savage beasts created by Weta – some of which are exclusive to the game
    • Film Cast Likeness and Voice: Full immersion into the dynamic King Kong universe realized via inclusion of film cast member’s likenesses and voice-over

Screenshots

Buy it Links

Last edited by Duddyroar; 29-11-2005, 12:05.

King Kong [Xbox]

Didn't intend to buy this, but was in Gamestation and noticed they were selling it at the Amazon style price of ?29.99, so a bit of an impulse purchase.

Only played it for an hour, but so far, i'm impressed. It's absolutly dripping with atmosphere and authenticity. Luckily they haven't pigeonholed the film into a specific genre, more like tailor made their own genre specifically for the game. Adventure FPS? I don't know, but its good.

So far the game has been practically seemless, with no obvious loading screens, it plays as if you are part of the movie, which is what a good movie licence should be. Obviously I can't compare it to the new movie, but it does deviate from the 1933 original quite a bit.

The graphics are stunning in almost every way, only really eclipsed by the 360 version in the demo pods. The island feels very organic and natural, with the levels not looking "designed". I am thinking perhaps of trading this in for the 360 version in a few weeks time, as its definatly something I could see myself playing though again.

The combat again is excellent, finally we have a First person game where the gun isn't held at arms length the whole game! Why it take so long for people to get this? You can only have 1 gun at a time (again sensible), but you can carry any amount of sticks and bones, which seem to be essential if you want to conserve ammo for the bigger beasties.

Nailing the flying lizards mid-air with a flaming stick and hearing its scream as it falls to its death is immensely satisfying.

Can I call Michael Ancel a European Miyamoto?

Well IMO (of course)

Rayman 2 > Mario Sunshine
    Beyond Good and Evil > Wind Waker
    King Kong > Well theres nothing comparable really...

Still. Fantastic game so far, can't wait to see the tyranosaurus'. I love me some dinosaurs.

Comment

Just started playing this after reading the Eurogamer review, so far I've been seriously impressed. Was going to hold off buying this and wait for the XB360 version, but having seen how nice the XB version plays I might as well save the cash.

I really like how the combat is handled. As you say you can only hold one firearm at a time, so you really have to think how you handle combat situations. That bit early on where the game explains to you there's a food chain is pure genius, a totally new approach.

Comment

Stunned by the graphics & atmosphere - the sound in particular is very good. Doesn't look like a long game - I'd done 12% in about an hour tops - But that suits me fine.

Very impressed. I also might pick up the 360 version (once it surfaces in the bargain bins - if the playtime is as short as it seems I reckon there'll be 2nd hand copies floating about in no time at all !!)

It feels extremely good - no sloppy aiming or anything like that. I can imagine the game plays out almost exactly like the new film - it certainly seems that way !

The first game ever that has motivated me to go and see a film. Had no real interest in the remake up till now.

Comment

This had good reports while it was in development and it looks like the kept the quality up to the final product.

I will get this eventually.

Comment

It is great....but the Kong sections needed a little more work (the last level is weak in particular) and yes its also short.

That said I loved it....Argos are forcing a copy of the 360 version on me in reurn for guaranteeing me a machine and I look forward to taking a second trip through in the next generation!

Comment

personally I'm disappointed so far, slow frame rate that jumps about often, and controlling the king feels like your on an ice rink and the level of control you actually have over him feels like it may as well be space ace

Comment

Which version are you playing? The XB version has been pretty solid so far.

Comment

I just got to the first Kong bit:

The bit where you were in the flying things nest smacking them away like flies, whilst it went into Sepia mode, and then delibrate slowdown for cinematic effect must be one of the greatest bits ever in a game

So when I thought it couldn't get better...

BRONTOSAURUS!! How amazing was that, where they all come out the mist and really big!!

I was grinning like a mad-man I tell ya!

Comment

In many ways, I think that this is a great example of how to do a movie tie-in game. There are some nice design points - NPCs leading the way, no HUD, frustration-free platformy bits, the spears feel nice to use - and it looks and sounds great.

However, it's kind of hampered by the mainstream, tie-in audience that I guess it's chasing. It's really easy and it's totally linear. The Kong bits are, IMHO, mostly rubbish, clunky button-mashing affairs. The same daft puzzles (burn every white bush you come across and find levers for doors) are repeated again and again and again. It's about 7 hours long.

Overall...I enjoyed it while it lasted: it would be a brilliant rental. 7.5/10?

Comment

I like the idea of something being cinematic and short. I don't have as much time as I used to play on games and often struggle to reach the end. Will probably pick this up on the 360.

Comment

I'm quite looking forward to this one, but I wait for the 360 version before getting it. But it's good to see so much positive feedback.....

Comment

Liking this so far (about 1/4 in), feels a bit like an American theme park ride somehow, in the way you get pulled along by the npcs and shown the awesome sights. I've had a lot of "collect all the levers" puzzles already and can see that becoming more of a drag later on.

I'm finding the analogue sensitivity a little slow for my liking though, and there's no option to change it.

It's certainly invigorated my interest in the film if nothing else.

Comment

i'm half-way through the game and far from being impressed with it. there's weak PS2 textures, boring to tedious combat (most of the time) and a few unimaginative puzzles. guess what keeps me playing is the few standout moments, e.g. when passing a herd of brontos or smashing some raptors as Kong.

a decent movie licensed game, but i think it could have been so much more!

Comment

Completed it last night, loved it. It literally is "the game of the movie", by putting you directly inside the film. The atmosphere is wonderful, the sound effects are great. It just leaves you wanting more, especially the rather short last level.

Obviously you can't really win at the end of the day because Kong dies, but a message appears that if you unlock all the extras then you can save Kong at the end and "Win".

It is quite short, but if it were any longer then it would feel contrived. I do want more though. It's a shame, I feel like the hardcore wont' buy it because its a film licence, and the casual gamers wont' buy it becuase it doesn't feature gangs or street muggings (or whatever the kids are into these days)

I'll probably trade this in for the Xbox 360 version, and then get to play it all over again.

Comment

Working...
                              X