Gig Going Thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
    £5M for a three year set? Doesn't sound too unreasonable to me.
    Yeah, a couple of people in the comments were laughing at that.
    "Can I go home now, I've been playing for over two years!"
    "You shut your mouth and get back on that piano, Rose!"

Comment

Had a couple of gigs back to back, last week managed to FINALLY see Flight of the Conchords at O2 my cheeks were hurting from laughing so much, hopefully they have enough new material for a new album maybe.

Got home at stupid o clock and next day was heading off to see Starcrawler, man did I feel like an old man at that gig, great band though and was glad to catch them live, who knows when they will be back.

Gutted I managed to miss NiN and Foo Fighters, it’s been literally a hundred years since I’ve seen both live, would have been great to see them again.

Comment

Queen at Scotland’s vowel-less festival today. Woohoo. Any further posts today may be under the influence of awesome tunes and Brewdog.

Comment

I'd love to see Queen live, especially at Download. Imagine a field of Metallers singing Bohemian Rhapsody together!

I went to Coventry to see The Atomic Bitchwax on Monday and they were blinding.
          Only the second time of seeing them as I'm quite late to the party, but I really, really like them. The album, Gravitron, is particularly great.
          Basically, they play fairly fast stoner/groove/scale rock that's got a real groove to it.
          Different guitarist from last time and the singer revealed he'd learned the set one week before the tour. Astonishing considering they play the kind of stuff where both the guitar and bass are playing tightly synchronised riffs together. Plus it wasn't a fixed set, so had loads of others they could play. Great gig.

Then last night I got a call from a mate with a spare Iron Maiden ticket. My very tolerant wife allowed me to cancel our cinema night and drop everything so I could go.

Obviously, it was amazing. The songs are great and it was a greatest hits tour, so they were all in there plus a couple I didn't recognise. That alone would be worth seeing, but they put on such a great stage show with loads of inflatable set decorations like Icarus, giant demon and a full sized Spitfire.

I'm crazy tired today though from driving late home from Folkestone on Sunday, gig Monday and Tuesday and support phonecalls the last two mornings. Urgh.

Comment

I saw Maiden in Aberdeen on Saturday night and it's arguably the best they've been for years. Opening with Aces High as in the above photo was a great way to start the set. While I was happy to hear a few lesser aired tunes it did put a slight dent in the atmosphere. Fear of the Dark onwards had the crowd going again.

I also saw Black Rebel Motorcycle Club in Glasgow last week. Good set and no faffing around. Two hours solid no encore, as it should be.

Regarding Queen at Download don't get your hopes up. I filled in the Download headline act survey last night and they weren't even on the list. I selected Muse, System of A Down and Iron Maiden.

Comment

Queen are one of those bands I'd love to see live, but not enough to justify the £100 ticket, hence Download, but it's just a wishlist rather than me hearing rumours.

That's a lineup I'd like to see.
              Still not seen SoaD, frustratingly.
              Are they still talking?
              That Muse set the other year was brilliant.

I hoped you'd seen Maiden too.
              I thought they'd be lumbering around the stage like the grandads they are, but they were ludicrously energetic, especially Bruce. It was his birthday and he was really hyper!

Same mid-set lull for us, but after that it was hit after hit.

Comment

SoaD headlined Download last year and were brilliant. There was an article on Louder Sound the other day saying the band has gotten a bit closer again. Still seems unlikely they will record anything new but they still tour.

Queen tickets aren't as expensive as you may think. The Glasgow gig last year was circa £65 IIRC. Same price as the Maiden tickets. I can't imagine they will keep touring for much longer. Taylor and May are 70+ and I'm sure I read that the curly haired one has a touch of arthritis in his hands.

I was surprised at the energy Maiden showed too. In recent years Janick has popped off mid set for a wee break but no problem this time around. How Nico manages I've no idea.

Comment

My mate at the Maiden gig said when he saw Rush, they had an interval and said "We're old now and like you, we could probably do with a wee."

Comment

I booked VIP tickets for next year's ArcTanGent festival on their early doors deal (20% off, no booking fees, offer of a no-cost refund up until March), and they just announced today that Meshuggah are headlining Saturday night as their only UK show of 2019. Even though I'm not a huge fan, that's a pretty big name for them to have secured, and I'm sure they'll be interesting to watch. That said, I've not found anyone to go with me yet - I don't mind attending gigs on my own, but an entire weekend's camping could be... less fun. Hmm.

Comment

Spent a large amount of money paying scalper prices for BTS tickets for me and my eldest. That's cool. Looking forward to it!

This is less cool. An article on Ticketmaster, Ticketmaster recruits pros for secret scalper program: https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/a-p...gram-1.4828535

No great surprise. The margins reselling tickets are much greater than selling them the first time. It's a horrific conflict of interest that it has been allowed this long. They are shutting down Seatwave here in Ireland as we are bringing in legislation to stop it so they are going to have a site where you can only sell them for face value or less. Not sure if that's happening in the UK too?

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                        Spent a large amount of money paying scalper prices for BTS tickets for me and my eldest. That's cool. Looking forward to it!
                        Had to google this! I thought Korean music was just that gangnam bloke.

Comment

There is so much more to it than the gangnam bloke, even though technically he invented Korean music in 2012.

Comment

Still umming and ahhing about going to Manchester to see Carpenter Brut.

Comment

Just go for it.

Going to see Mono in Glasgow on Wednesday. Haven’t had the chance to see them live before. Bit concerned the venue may be a bit small for their sound.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                                Still umming and ahhing about going to Manchester to see Carpenter Brut.
                                Go for it if you can you won’t regret it, also they have GOST supporting so that’s gonna be one heavy night.

Just bagged myself some tickets for Muse at the Royal Albert Hall in December, for charity m8. I blasted my glasto deposit on it as it seems my first Glastonbury will not be 2019, roll on 2020 but that’s the 50th anniversary Glastonbury, so I’ll probably be double ****ed there.

Comment

Working...
                                X