No announcement yet.

Gig Going Thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got The Midnight again tomorrow. Really looking forward to it. They were great in London earlier in the year.

Comment

The Midnight were incredible. I saw them back in March in London and they were amazing but they’ve really taken their show up a notch since then even. If you’re remotely interested, they are playing Glasgow, Bristol and London over the next few days and I’d definitely recommend going to see them.

Comment

I've always loved live music and used to watch anything I had any interest in. I've become a little lazy over the past few years, just going to a few a year (to be fair, it's more difficult to motivate yourself to see a band you've seen 8 times!), but in the past three weeks I've been to Chromatics, Ada Lea and Deerhunter (with Cate Le Bon) and loved them all! Also have Carla Dal Forno on Wednesday. I need to find a few more things to watch in the run up to Christmas!

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
          Ooooh :-) Their collaboration with Scott Walker was epic.
          There's nothing else like Sunn o))) live. They vibrate your whole body! It's strangely relaxing.

Comment

Originally posted by ZipZap View Post
            I've always loved live music and used to watch anything I had any interest in. I've become a little lazy over the past few years, just going to a few a year (to be fair, it's more difficult to motivate yourself to see a band you've seen 8 times!), but in the past three weeks I've been to Chromatics, Ada Lea and Deerhunter (with Cate Le Bon) and loved them all! Also have Carla Dal Forno on Wednesday. I need to find a few more things to watch in the run up to Christmas!
            I desperately wanted to see Chromatics but the date of the local gig was my kid’s birthday and my wife banned me from going out that night because of it. I mean, who knows when the Chromatics will play again and yet my kid will have another birthday just next year, so I reckon the priorities were all wrong.

Comment

I saw Dinosaur Pile-Up last night and it was aces.

I've seen 'em a few times over the years, so it was nice to see them doing a headline tour.
              They definitely need a bigger following because they rock.

Crowd was nuts for a Sunday night.
              They kept opening up a circle, then going bonkers on the chorus.
              I got a bit fed up with this, so when they did it about the third time, I just strolled through the gap to be next-but-one to the barrier, then had a great view for the rest of the gig.

Didn't play "Mona Lisa", but "Backfoot", "11/11" and "Thrash Metal Cassette" were all great.

Comment

Having to go back 3-4 pages each time to find this thread always makes me sad, so here's my update.

Originally posted by fuse View Post
                Sign up for Songkick, tell it bands you like, tell it where you live, sorted.

I'm still being rubbish and bailing on shows I've booked for, with really crap excuses. Missed Emma Ruth Rundle this Sunday just gone, but hoping to make it out to Deafheaven on Thursday. October should be good with Melt Banana, Sun O))), Conjurer, and Daughters. Provided I actually make it out.
                I did make it out for some of these! However, I did pass on others.

There's any number of hyperbolic Sunn O))) reviews out there, but I must say I now understand how that happens. Even with decent earplugs in, this was loud, and was enough to be felt through my entire body. I could barely distinguish where tracks began or ended, and even felt myself being lulled to sleep at some points, but most importantly it was a bloody amazing experience.

Conjurer are probably my favourite UK metal band right now, and are great guys on top of their musical talents. They made me sad for not having picked up a guitar and forming a band with my mates when I was younger. Great show.

One I hadn't listed before was Mono, having a 25th anniversary shindig. The Barbican is such a brilliant venue as it is, but giving this band an orchestra to work with, and then pulling A.A Williams and Jo Quail on stage during the encore was truly brilliant. Definitely one of my highlights of the year. Sadly I was sick and had to skip envy and Boris the night before, because I can imagine that would've been great too.

For 2020 the only thing I've booked so far is Napalm Death for Feb, but I see Black Midi are playing this month and I've been meaning to catch them...

Comment

I keep missing Sunn O))), but I'm determined to catch them at some point. Only gig lined up so far for this year is Faith No More at Brixton in June. Can't wait.
                  Might go to the Friday of All Points East too for Kraftwerk, though the rest of the line-up is pretty great.

Comment

Originally posted by endo View Post
                    Might go to the Friday of All Points East too for Kraftwerk, though the rest of the line-up is pretty great.
                    I’m going to this. I saw Kraftwerk in the mid nineties, they were brilliant.

Comment

Yeah, I finally got to see them a few years ago at the Albert hall and it’s possibly the best gig I’ve ever been to, so I’m keen to see them again, especially seeing as Ralf is really getting on now.

Comment

Anna Calvi and Kim Gordon earlier that day too, am very tempted myself.

Comment

In Kingston to see Ash tonight.

I bloody love Ash!

Comment

You just prompted me to go listen to this, and I'm wondering if it's just YouTube, or if this always sounded like it was recorded through a hose?

(Napalm Death on Sunday!)

Comment

Seems like YouTube quality issue, I’ve been listing to Ash recently as I added their Teenage Wildlife album to my playlist, 54 tracks at 3 n half hours, lotta memories wrapped up in Ash, takes me straight back.

Comment

It's funny watching that Ash video as the doppelganger challenge thing on Facebook has reminded me that people used to say I looked like the bass player (I don't think I especially do, but I had the same haircut back then and I'm quite tall).

Last week I watched Automatic (LA post-punk band, not to be confused with THE Automatic) on Wednesday and Angel Olsen on Thursday.

I'm really enjoying live music again recently. I saw so much stuff in my late-20s/early 30s that I think I burnt out on it a bit! It's sometimes hard to get excited about going out on a rainy weeknight to see a band you've seen 7 times

Comment

Working...
                                X