Gig Going Thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ZipZap View Post

I'm really enjoying live music again recently. I saw so much stuff in my late-20s/early 30s that I think I burnt out on it a bit! It's sometimes hard to get excited about going out on a rainy weeknight to see a band you've seen 7 times
    It's never a chore going to gigs. Live music is a fantastic thing to experience. I still go to see bands I've seen 20+ times. It never gets old.

Been a busy few weeks gig wise. Saw Monster Magnet playing Power Trip right the way through a few weeks ago at the Garage. Then it was Anti Flag at the same venue. A few days later it was The Menzingers at QMU in Glasgow then a few days after that back to the Garage for everyone's favourite Mongolian band The Hu. The crowd was fantastic at The Hu gig.
    Last night it was Babymetal at the Barras!! Awesome show. Amazing seeing how well they worked in a smaller venue. Really enthusiastic crowd too.
    Tonight its Otoboke Beaver at the CCA with support from the fantastic Drinking Boys and Girls Choir.

Comment

That's a great run of gigs!

Can't get into Monster Magnet but LOVE The Atomic Bitchwax and will see them at every opportunity. Same band members, different grooves.

Ash were great, btw, but just a half hour album launch show. They came back on to do a few extra, but I still craved more.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
        That's a great run of gigs!

Can't get into Monster Magnet but LOVE The Atomic Bitchwax and will see them at every opportunity. Same band members, different grooves.

Ash were great, btw, but just a half hour album launch show. They came back on to do a few extra, but I still craved more.
        Ash are always good to see. Who's next QC?

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
          Ash are always good to see. Who's next QC?
          Nothing lined up, but I'm hoping to go to Download and there's a local tributes festival that looks ace.

Comment

Unsurprisingly quiet in this thread

Originally posted by fuse View Post
            One I hadn't listed before was Mono, having a 25th anniversary shindig. The Barbican is such a brilliant venue as it is, but giving this band an orchestra to work with, and then pulling A.A Williams and Jo Quail on stage during the encore was truly brilliant. Definitely one of my highlights of the year. Sadly I was sick and had to skip envy and Boris the night before, because I can imagine that would've been great too.
            Absolutely ****ing delighted to find that they recorded and are releasing this show. Can't wait to relive it!

Comment

Originally posted by fuse View Post
              Unsurprisingly quiet in this thread

Absolutely ****ing delighted to find that they recorded and are releasing this show. Can't wait to relive it!
              Brilliant news. Mono are just amazing live, so intense.

Comment

Comment

Looking forward to getting that new Mono live disc. I’ve bought my first gig tickets in ages too. Going to see Queen with Adam Lambert. In June 2022!

Comment

Live music eh? Anyone remember that?

I had tickets to see Holy Fawn in October, but they've just cancelled that and pushed to August 2022. I've still got tickets for Bossk with Dvne supporting in December this year, but I'd wager that's also uncertain at this point. For the record: I only bought both in the full knowledge that I had no issue losing the money if they went ahead and I wasn't ready to go through with them, but at the same time didn't want to be in the position where I was ready but couldn't go due to lack of ticket.

I see lots of small festivals have been pulling the plug on 2021 all over the place due to lack of insurance, and yeah, that makes sense. Still crossing fingers live music's going to be able to bounce back, but man what a hit it's taken.

Comment

I miss live music and music festivals more than anything.

Pre-pandemic, the last gig tickets that I ordered were to see Lupe Fiasco, Diet Cig and The Night Cafe.

The Night Cafe's show has been pushed back to early 2022. Diet Cig rescheduled date is still TBC and Lupe's show has been rearranged for August but I really don't see myself going to it - will likely try and sell the ticket on or try to get my money back via the Insurance.

Music festivals of any kind are an absolute non-starter, obvs.

Tbh, I'd be astonished if I saw myself at a gig or festival of any kind in 2021.

Comment

I was supposed to be going to see Meshuggah in December. Cancelled.

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
                          I was supposed to be going to see Meshuggah in December. Cancelled.
                          Always makes me think "where's meshuggah, ooooh"

Comment

Went to see The Green Lung at Ivory Blacks in Glasgow on Saturday. Great set from a band that will hopefully do well. So good to be back a proper gig. Next up Biffy Clyro on Thursday.

Comment

Still haven't made it back out to see any live music, and 2021 shows I've been considering are still dropping like flies; Venom Prison just recently cancelled due to medical reasons, and Holy Fawn got shunted to September 2022 due to international travel uncertainty. Bossk (with DVNE supporting) in December is the only thing I've got tickets for that's still looking like a possibility this year, and it may end up being the test to see how comfortable I am with busy venues. There's a lot I'd like to see in 2022, but I'd be lying if said I was totally worry-free about the whole thing.

Comment

Still not 100% in crowds, but I'm double-jabbed and being outdoors minimises risk.

Went to Ibiza Proms in the Park on Friday after some friends of friends dropped out.
                                Not normally my thing, but it's dance anthems played by an orchestra, so it was actually really cool, especially the ones I knew like "Right Here, Right Now" and "One More Time".

Amazing orchestra, great atmosphere, everyone was really up for it but it was let down by monumentally poor organisation.

We got there about 7:40 before the gates closed at 8pm.
                                You weren't allowed to bring your own drinks other than water, and even then I read reports of the security making a diabetic throw hers away and another family making their 4 y/o drink their water to prove it wasn't alcohol.

So we started queueing for beer. Sacked that off with the queue length and agreed to a cocktail as the queue was shorter and I could get food. They were mixing the cocktails right there, meaning the queue was about 1 hour!

As for me, there were several food outlets, but they were all flat out. I ended up queueing for food for about 90 minutes!
                                Basically, I was waiting for food from when the support act were playing up to when the main act took a break before the encore.

Basically, everyone is really pissed off at what should have been an excellent night ended up being a queueing festival.

Comment

Working...
                                X