24: The Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

24: The Game

Just got this and I've played through the first 4 'hours' so far. I'd say that each 'hour' probably lasts about 20 minutes each and first impressions don't come off that well. The camera is a bit jumpy but adjustable and the controls can feel a bit loose. That said by the time the second 'hour' gets started though I found myself forgiving the roughness of some of the design. The game is quite easy and linear so I suppose the amount of give forgiveness you give it is mostly based upon your opinions on the show.

Overall the 58 missions seem varied. Over the short time I've played it so far I've had 2 driving missions, 1 back street chase, 1 interrogation, a couple of on foot missions and a few puzzles. The variety off sets most of the faults lying within the sections. I'd say its no great game but a good romp especially for fans and certainly not as bad as IGN would have it. Maybe a 6.5 or 7/10 depending again on your views of the franchise.

Anyone else had a go of it yet?

I've been disappointed with the reviews on this. The buzz from a few months ago was that Studio Cambridge were going to pull something off - looks like it isn't the case.

Speaking as a fan of 24, what's the overall experience like in terms of pacing? Does it capture the feel of the show well?

Capcom should have been a shoe-in for 24. Think Resident Evil 4 and how it handled its sub-point chapter system. Expand those sub-points into single hours and drop the chapter marking and they'd have the structure of 24 nailed on.

The pace in Resident Evil 4 (with the set-pieces, environmental changes, movement of the game) was also very 24-like, and with that engine, I can't help think what Capcom would have done with a franchise like 24 with the form their best teams have been in over the last few years.

Structurally, the boat seems to have been missed with this too, which is a shame. I can't help but think that the format of 24 could lead to a lot of structural innovation (as it did for television) in videogaming pacing/time play-form if someone was willing to take the risk.

Anyway... cheers for the impressions. Still undecided about picking it up.

Comment

Is it mostly a first person shooter? Because you mentioned interrogation scenes?

Comment

It's supposed to mostly be a third-person over the shoulder action game, with a sprinkling of car, interrogation and puzzle missions over the top.

Comment

You're right you know, 24 done in a resi4 style = fantastic game.

However, as soon as I saw shots of Mr Baur in game I knew it would be mediocre. The artist responsible should be shot.

Comment

Originally posted by Concept
            It's supposed to mostly be a third-person over the shoulder action game, with a sprinkling of car, interrogation and puzzle missions over the top.
            "Car"...that worries me a bit, never seen a game with car sections in it that aren't the majority that aren't crap!

Comment

I'll try and answer a few points that have been raised:

-Pacing and Authenticity-
              The game moves very quick, cutscenes are about a minute or so long but cover about 6 minutes of clock time overall. One area the reviews covered was the lack of focus on the enemy. So far all cutscenes have been only of the main cast with the enemies being a faceless terrorist group. That said the presentation is faultless and it does capture the style of the show spot on whilst allowing the game to keep a fast pace up helping maintain the image of being against the clock.

-View-
              All sections on foot are 3rd person and control okay. The camera is quite loose and speedy and some of the actions such as climbing get a bit muddled due to the multi-function uses of some of the buttons but the combat is easy enough to handle and your never over swamped so a scene is impassable, or so it is so far. The only wonky moments are when, during play, split screen occurs and distracts your from what your doing. Plus when steering some vehicles the camera tilts to be cinematicbut its quite awkward to use

-Interrogation Scenes-
              They're simple but quite likeable. You basically use three buttons to keep a marker as close to the centre as possible. Triangle is for aggression, square for neutral and X for calm. The flow of the system is simple yet smooth and the dialogue works well enough. Once you reach the end of the interrogation at the right level you can hit O to break them where Jack holds them at gunpoint or beats the suspect about a bit like in the show. Overall very true to the characters style and a fun diversion.

-Content Focus-
              So far the different missions are evenly spread with no focus on 3rd person sections or driving. So far the weakest is the driving sections due to the camera and linearity of them but they're only short so don't get in the way, other moments are simply objectives like grabbingh a car to ram down a warehouse fence which works well in keping with the style. Other moments like a sniper mission and bomb diffusal all work well in their boxes.

As I typed earlier, everything is simple within the game but the constant pace and variety keep the game light and enjoyable. I wouldn't say its worth picking up at full price but maybe 2nd hand or rental you'd get fun out of it if your a fan

Comment

Completed this last night. Unfortunately, it's pretty ****. I wanted to like it but in the end I couldn't.

Further impressions will follow later. Just posting this to let anyone considering picking it up to avoid - it's one for diehard 24 fans only, and even then you're likely to be disappointed.

Comment

Ill buy it from ya

Comment

I'll be taking advantage of GAME's return policy I'm afraid.

Comment

Have there been any European produced Sony in-house games that have been AAA, or even good?

Comment

Ghosthunter and Primal weren't bad, they showed a lot of promise. Fairly innovative concepts and always high production values. But sadly the gameplay seemed to let the titles down somewhat.. I chalked it down to lack of experience, but now after 5(?) games, its a shame they haven't brought something more to the table.

Im still buying 24 though
                        Last edited by MrKirov; 19-03-2006, 23:23.

Comment

Originally posted by kingston lj
                          Have there been any European produced Sony in-house games that have been AAA, or even good?
                          Wipeout.

Studio Liverpool (formerly Psygnosis, though I'm not sure how much of the original Psygnosis still remain there) are highly talented.

Studio Cambridge and Studio London less so. Having said that, Eyetoy was fun.

Comment

When I think of SCEE, the word ' PAP ' springs to mind. I know loads of people like Wipeout, but as an F-Zero obsessive, I see the franchise in a dull light.

I accept that Wipeout is a decent series though, and probably the best one SCEE have produced. The majority of games from the European arm of Sony have always seemed to be overly hyped and lacking imo.

When I think back to certain PS1 games, and PS2 titles such as Dropship and The Getaway... all I smell is the foul stench of bull****.

It's a shame Konami, Capcom, or some other decent Japanese publisher didn't get the chance to make a decent 24 game.

Comment

Hardware Online was very good. Maybe not AAA but then again it was free!

Comment

Working...
                              X