Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Forcing pal megadrive games into 60hz. Potential problems??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
    Just buy an everdrive..
    It would be a neat idea but I just don't get the same enjoyment from playing roms. I only use them for seeing if I like games before I buy them. Orginal hardware and software ftw.

I can now confirm that there's something seriously wrong with the music in PAL Hellfire. The music runs waaay to slowly in both 50 and 60hz. I might not have noticed if I wasn't familiar with the brilliant soundtrack. I tried forcing the game into japanese region as well as 60hz but no luck. The music is a huge part of the experience so I'm calling this one unplayable. Can anyone shed light on this?

Comment

Another strange Megadrive problem. I found that PAL Hellfire runs with the music slowed right down on my PAL Megadrive 2 even which switched to 60hz. So slow that it just sounds rubbish and there's no way I'd play it. I think the game speed is actually fine.

So, when I was at my folks house I tried out Jap Hellfire on my 60hz modded Megadrive 1 and it worked fine as expected. I brought the Jap cart back home with me and when played on my 60hz Megadrive 2 the music runs in slow motion again. Pretty bizarre as I had assumed the problem was with the optimised PAL version.

The only conclusion I can come to is that the game is not Megadrive 2 compatible and the bios is causing the sound glitch.

If it were most other games I wouldn't give a toss but I love Hellfire and I love the music and this glitch ruins it for me.

Any ideas?

Comment

Rise from your grave, thread of old

Over the last few weeks the team at Randomised Gaming has looked at this issue, now that we have a NTSC Sega Mega Drive. We've found quick a few titles that have had some form of optimisation and here is what we have found so far:

Word of warning the video is over an hour long the first 20 or so minutes covers the differences between PAL and NTSC, which you guys here don't need to watch. There's a break down of the video in the video description.

Hopefully it will help a few people out who have NTSC machines and don't know which PAL games to buy. There's some really funky affects that happen with some games.

Comment

Games I have that don't work at 60Hz:

Brian Lara Cricket - a shame as I love this game and currently only have an unmodified Jp MD. The picture rolls at 60Hz.

Microcosm - not so much a shame. All my PAL MCD games are fine at 60Hz 'cept this one. The audio seems to be a bit slower than it should be.

Comment

Working...
          X