Anyone remember...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone remember...

Whilst taking pics for all my Super famicom stuff today, I came upon a reciept for Bomberman 2 that was bought from KT Konsols. From what I remember they just disappeared off the face of the earth one day in 95/96.

Now these were guys who really loved their games and did great deals on pre-owned items.

All I want to know is just what DID happen to them?

Do you mean KC's Consoles? As Loughborough residents I believe we've spoken about them before...

The best console store ever...

Comment

Originally posted by Duddyroar
      Do you mean KC's Consoles? As Loughborough residents I believe we've spoken about them before...

The best console store ever...
      Nope.

KT Konsols
      26 Princess St
      Thurso
      Caithness
      KW14 7BQ

Ran by the top geezer Keith Pentland.

I know KC's became Jive Consoles and was run by a 'Pong tailed putz' called Pete Hewitt.

Kudos for anyone who recognises the Neo Geo reference there.

Comment

Just came across this group random surfing.. I can answer the ancient question about KT.
        I am Keith Pentland. Owned KT Konsols way way back in the day with another chap Bob Turner. I left the business 1995 a few months before Bob. Went to work for British Telecom. Had a load of teenage angst issues going on.... Crux of it is Bob continued until 1996.
        I left in 1995.
        I moved to Edinburgh. Almost got a job with Rockstar. That would have been a dream. Instead got an office job working for a charity and my involvement with the gaming industry ceased.
        My gaming passion never left. Though I could no longer afford imported games and consoles.

Pretty much all the KT gaming stock was left to Bob Turner. Loads of cool stuff when I left in 1995. Neo Geo leather bags. When I left KT were in debt. I was younger than Bob and passionate about gaming but too young for business. Bob should have been wiser but he had his own troubles. His wife left him. Life got in the way. We had plans to expand and become the official UK distributor for Neo Geo.
        Not to be. So yeh, Bob shut up shop 1996.

Some amazing times. Great customers. I had nearly 5 years in the mail order and shop industry with KT. Getting to play all the new stuff. Getting the first japanese PS1 in stock with Ridge Racer... that was mind blowing yet at the time we were unsure if Sony's CD based console could compete with cartridge based consoles. Getting the first japanese batch of N64s. All the Neo Geo and PC Engine games!! Completing Viewpoint on the Neo Geo... possibly being the first in UK to do so (not easy Viewpoint was nails).

Today I have a PS4. An APEX addict (really) and think Bloodborne is one of the best games ever made. I dig what Sony are doing. Fallen out with Nintendo somewhat. They continue to innovate with hardware but their sights are locked onto a younger audience ... I really don't need any more Mario or Zelda games in my life!

Looking forward to PS5. I don't collect consoles ... It's just too expensive now. Wish I had just a fraction of the stock KT Konsols had today. I would be a very rich man!!

Peace all. This seems like a great forum looking forward to checking more out.

I appreciate the compliment calling me a 'top geezer'

Comment

I love it when stuff like this happens!

Comment

Heh this is great, welcome!

Comment

Wow! Not sure if you'll remember me, I used to ring up all the time asking if you had any new Super Famicom stuff in. Two lads, Andy(with the dodgy Polish surname) and Dave. We had LOADS of SFC stuff. I still have a sellotape covered copy of Namcot Open I ordered back in the early 90's!

Comment

I just can’t believe there was such a great sounding shop in Thurso of all places!

Comment

Wow you are a member here MonkeyJ...
                  I didn't expect replies. Just realised this forum seems extremely active!
                  I remember voices and some names. Better with voices! Myself and Bob always tried to be honest with all our customers. If you asked our opinion and the game was terrible we would say so. BUT if you wanted to buy the crap game without asking our opinion we would sell it to you! Stock had to circulate somehow. Andy and Dave.. mmmm. I dunno. It really was just two phones constantly ringing and a tiny shop crammed full with stock! Way up top of Scotland where I was born and raised. Lunchtime all the school kids would mob the shop to play Neo Geo. Now I live in Dorset other end of UK!
                  I often dream of certain games. Having them again. Certain artwork on Japanese boxes. My knowledge of everything retro is still top notch. Collecting is an expensive expensive hobby as some of you will know. I am currently happy with my PS4 and still backlogging some games to complete. Doom Eternal was great but not a masterpiece. Sekiro Shadows Die Twice probably my fave game of 2019.
                  I still got Spiderman to play on PS4 and MUST fork out cash for the Tony Hawk's 1/2 remaster. Waffling now.. cool to hear some folks have fond memories of the old shop. It felt like family. We may not have been the best for brand new prices but we always had decent second hand swap exchange rates and stock changed rapidly. ✌️✌️✌️

Comment

KT was a great place, always loved the fact there were SOME good outlets in Scotland though still too far away from me in Fife to visit. That said I remember buying a great PC-Engine bundle from there mail order, a briefcase system with a Core Grafx, Arcade Card Pro with Fatal Fury 2, Super Star Soldier on HuCard and a few other bits. In my early twenties I made some new friends from Thurso who knew you, I think the shop was the first thing I asked them about.
                    Last edited by Colin; 05-09-2020, 09:04.

Comment

Welcome to the forum, buddy. Yes, we are very much a small but active community here!

You mention quite a bit about PS4 but what retro do you have? Any minis? Original hardware? An Analog or Mister perhaps?

Comment

Sadly... My retro collection sold mid 2000. Hard times. Trained as a Chef.
                        Today I have emulators, a PS4 purchased when The Last Guardian came out... That's my lot!

The mini consoles have not really taken my interest. Rather own a real original Jap console.

This group seems like a great way to help each other out with imports. Years back I recall Lee from Dream Machines was probably one of the last chaps really getting the good stuff. It's something I would live to get into again but not right now. Other middle aged commitments.

I would love to go down the road of collecting Jap Megadrive games in particular. Some if the best box art.
                        It's an expensive hobby as you lot will know!
                        Right now my gaming consists of recently finishing Last of Us 2. Playing Super Pang Adventures (panic mode) trying to regain my world record score. That game is a must own btw. It's on switch too. Get it!

Maybe 2021 will be kinder and I can collect again.

Years ago the dream was to combine my chef skills and open a retro cafe... Which HAS been done in many places now. But something that has not fully taken off as a chain of cafes. Coffee, cake, gaming, late night partying with a DJ... A kind of all in one inclusive cafe.

Anyway. Dream on. Happy gaming.

Comment

Working...
                        X