New. Super Mario Bros DS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New. Super Mario Bros DS

Been playing this game for hours - i have to say that it's maybe a little too easy...im on the last world after only 2 hours play! it's really fun though and i love the new additions to the game, like the wall jump and the blue shell suit!

definatly gonna be worth looking for all the hidden extra's

is there no way to set the difficulty on it? does seem a bit easy if youre through it in 2 hours

Is there more to it than just the main game, like time attacks and that kinda cack?

Comment

2...hours? Yikes. It took me like over ten years to complete SMW and not far off it for SMB3.

Comment

Jesus, was tempted to Rebuy a DS for this game but if the core can be completed within 2 hours I'l be giving it a miss.

I know like all mario's it won't be "fully" complete in the 2 hours but even so.

I'l wait for a few more people's opinions first

Comment

Still waiting for mine also, hopefully it will be here tomorrow or Thursday.

Are you sure its 2 hours? Reviews i have seen suggest the main game is 4-5 hours minimum.

Like the majority of Mario games this one also has hidden exits for some of the levels opening up new areas.

Having not owned Mario 64 DS i am sure the mini games will give me some fun also, even more so with wireless multiplayer options.

Comment

I read that it can be easy to accidently skip two whole worlds when playing through this the first time and also that there is a wealth of secrets for you to find on level revisits.
            Let's hope...

This game has recieved very high review results from most places on the net at the moment... just waiting for mine to arrive...!

http://www.metacritic.com/games/plat...supermariobros
            Last edited by hudson; 16-05-2006, 12:56.

Comment

is really short if you skip levels and just run through them. defo easier the super mario bros.played dx on my gbc to death a couple of years ago, had a lot more longevity than this.

now getting away from the bad, it is really fun, and although nintendo have slacked a bit on the difficulty (for example if you are fire mario nad get injured you don't turn into small mario, you just lose "one stage" of power) it is the best ds game for a while.bit dissapointed with the carbon copy mini games though.nintendo you'r getting a bit lazy.

I hope Super Paper Mario is a bit more challenging nehoo, woot

Comment

Hoping for mine this week, also ordered a ds lite to go with it, it is going to be so brilliant! I adore mario 2-d.

What's this i hear about skipping levels, is it making it more difficult to find them or something? (not looking for spoilers!)

Comment

Originally posted by linkedtpthepast
                  What's this i hear about skipping levels, is it making it more difficult to find them or something? (not looking for spoilers!)
                  It seems that a couple of worlds/levels are only available by meeting certain criteria in other levels.

Comment

Thank's Geoff, i like the sound of that

Comment

I'm desperate for this game, it was shipped last night (our time) from VG+ so should be here for the weekend.

For the lucky people who already have it, one question (for now) :

Do you feel in any way let down by the game, despite it being short could you play it over and over like you could the old mario games?

Comment

Use the Shipping & Arrivals thread for those type of posts please guys, not the First Play one. Thanks

Comment

I believe there are 80 levels in total which is not bad, but you could complete it within probably around just 20-30 with all the warp pipes and cannons around. It is very easy, but there is the objective of trying to unlock extra levels/alternate routes in each world, plus 2 whole worlds which are not needed to progress through the game initially.

In addition to that there is another goal of collecting 3 star coins in each stage which will have you replaying levels again - the coins are supposed to be used to pay to unlock some of the extra routes or unlock bonus item shops (but you don't really need to use them at all). However you might want to use them as save points on the first play through as you can only save after completing castles otherwise. Apart from that you could just re-play to max out the score, as the levels are definitely enjoyable enough.

The second screen is a bit plain. The one in-stage function of the touchscreen (to select a backup power-up) I think is a bit of a gimmick, as they could have just mapped the function to another button - which I would have preferred - but maybe it would have made it easier to accidentally use it. It could be used a bit better on the map screen - ie. marking which levels you've got the 3 coins on.

The levels themselves include a good range of new touches to the standard 2-d Mario gameplay.. from what I've played so far I like World 8, it even has some very retro SMB gameplay in a part of one stage which I thought was nice.

Comment

So could somebody give us an accurate time of how long it takes to complete the game?

Comment

Originally posted by Dimmock
                              So could somebody give us an accurate time of how long it takes to complete the game?
                              Well obviously that depends on the gamer to a certain extent. Give it a few weeks and there's sure to be 5 minute speed runs :P

If game length is a big issue for you then I'd say its pretty obvious this title doesnt have your name on it. Personally I rarely finish games these days anyway so a short Mario Bros doesnt phase me.

The best games always seem too short.

Comment

Working...
                              X