No announcement yet.

Valve : Half life 2 ep 1-3 ARE Half life 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If I was Valve I'd probably scrap Ep3 and just make Half Life 3 (they can say the Eps are HL3 all they want, they clearly aren't). The game has been in development for that long that it's either highly troubled or during development they came up with an idea(s) that makes a massive impact to the gameplay (more likely). If that's the case they should take the time to implement it properly and give it the exposure, engine support and launch that HL3 would give.

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
      Surely if it was going to be using the same engine it would of been out by now? i mean hl2 looks adequate (the physics are still amazing) but epp3 will look decidedly dated even if it comes out this year.

Development has probably been switched to a new engine surely by now?
      I personally hope it sticks to the current engine. I'd feel a distinct lack of continuation if things were to change for a meagre 5hr episode, it would feel more like a tech demo than anything else.

I'm hoping for the same graphics although something similar to HL2 in length. I can't believe I'd racked up 37 hours on completion of HL2, that's like a friggin' RPG ffs! I could happily play for another 200 hours. Some segments were rock, and ingeniously designed.

I tried retracing my memory backwards through the game in order to realise its scope in a nutshell, but found I'd keep forgetting parts and having to mentally rearrange the order of things.

What is the fastest it can be completed?

I proper bum this game now, and it's probably in my top 20 of all time. And this comes from someone that hated the first game and still thinks it's massively over-rated.

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
        I personally hope it sticks to the current engine. I'd feel a distinct lack of continuation if things were to change for a meagre 5hr episode, it would feel more like a tech demo than anything else.

I'm hoping for the same graphics although something similar to HL2 in length. I can't believe I'd racked up 37 hours on completion of HL2, that's like a friggin' RPG ffs! I could happily play for another 200 hours. Some segments were rock, and ingeniously designed.

I tried retracing my memory backwards through the game in order to realise its scope in a nutshell, but found I'd keep forgetting parts and having to mentally rearrange the order of things.

What is the fastest it can be completed?

I proper bum this game now, and it's probably in my top 20 of all time. And this comes from someone that hated the first game and still thinks it's massively over-rated.
        Thats kind of my point though, i appreciate the quality of HL2 and epp 1 +2 (though epp1 wasn't really that good imo) but there taking an extortionate amount of time on a 4-5 hour episode.

Just seems very strange why there spending so long on it, especially when portal is its own developer.

Comment

Chalk me up as another one who has always been confused by how long Ep 3 has taken to arrive. Valve always said the episodes, because of their nature, meant that the delay between them would be relatively short (in Valve time that is). If you look at the time between Ep 1 and Ep 2 then Ep 3 has taken significantly longer.

By the release of Ep 1 they already had a trailer prepared for the next episode. After 2 there's been nothing. To me that suggests that the theories in this thread are spot on - either it's using a brand new engine or the game's going to be an epic marathon in length.

I'm personally praying for both (and a 2010 release) but I'd also be willing to bet they'll show something off for Ep 3 this year.

Comment

I wouldn't be surprised if Episode 3 sees the inclusion of L4D's AI 'Director', albeit a heavily revised version better catered to Half Life's gameplay. As for when it might be released, I'm content for Valve take all the time they need as it's too important and enjoyable a series to be rushed.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie View Post
              I'm content for Valve take all the time they need as it's too important and enjoyable a series to be rushed.
              Indeed. I left HL2 until January this year and only just rinsed the story so far this weekend, infact I'm about 1/4 through Episode 2 (The Antlion tunnel part), so I'm easy. It was good for my first impressions running it on a PC that can piss it as well.

Comment

Dear Subject Name Here,

Aperture Science is pleased to inform you that we have partnered with Valve to announce the gala CANCELLATION of the June 14 Portal 2 event at the Regal Theater. The event will be replaced by a surprise. And even though the cancellation of the event certainly counts as a surprise, we are pleased to further announce that the cancellation of the event is not THE surprise.

However, per International treaties regarding the definition of the word “surprise”, of which both Aperture Science and Valve are signatories, the time, date and content of the actual surprise will only become available as you experience the surprise.

If you’d like to ask fruitless questions about the E3 Portal 2 surprise or, more fruitfully, schedule an appointment to attend a Portal 2 screening at the Valve booth during E3, please contact Valve’s Special Envoy to Surprises, Doug Lombardi.

Thank you.

Comment

Sounds like Portal 2 and HL2:ep3 to me.

Unless they've scrapped Episode 3 and just made it HL3. Which I can't really be arsed with because It'll be another six years minimum before I play it.

Comment

Vaaaaaaaaaalve

Comment

THE CANCELLATION IS A LIE!!!1
                      Need some more Portal action.

Comment

I'm more worried about the surprise being a lie. I think Portal is boooooooooooooring.

Comment

damn, was really hoping for some decent info about ep3 when I saw this thread...
                          I totally loved playing HL2, ep1 and ep2 and I can't wait to start over again with ep1 and ep2 to get ready for ep3, but they let me wait far too long already !!

to be honest I hope that ep3 will use the same engine to finish the whole HL2 expierence in the same style and they will go mental with a brand new engine and new ideas for HL3 !!

Comment

Comment

Holy hell! with everyone with Steam replaying Half Life ATM this is a perfect time for a reveal

Comment

Originally posted by dvdmike View Post
                                Holy hell! with everyone with Steam replaying Half Life ATM this is a perfect time for a reveal
                                why is everyone replaying half life?

Comment

Working...
                                X